X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8bpc
    • May 2010

Originally posted by HreP View Post
    "If you're lonely when you're alone, you're in bad company." - Sartre. This one is so simple, yet so true.
    Where is this quote sourced from?

interest1: Oh, Virgil ... wonderful quote

The door to you vanished without a sound
    Hikaru Utada (宇多田 光). "Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro" (from a translation)

Not exactly a scholarly piece, but the line resonates strongly in me at the moment so I decided to share it.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." Derek Bok
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Carcass
        • May 2010

“And there is a time when a person who can fix things, when he has been doing it long enough, realizes he can do something more, too. And the moment you realize that is the moment you’ve just done something illegal."

Comment

• syed
          • Sep 2010

"Trash is always abundantly decorated: the luxury object is well-made, neat and clean, pure and healthy, and its bareness reveals the quality of its manufacture"

- Le Corbusier
          "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

The great owners, nervous, sensing a change, knowing nothing of the nature of the change. The great owners, striking at the immediate thing, the widening government, the growing labor unity; striking at new taxes, at plans; not knowing these things are results, not causes. Results, not causes; results, not causes. The causes lie deep and simple- the causes are a hunger in a stomach, multiplied a million times; a hunger in a single soul, hunger for joy and some security, multiplied a million times; muscles and mind aching to grow, to work, to create, multiplied a million times. The last clear definite function of man- muscles aching to work, minds aching to create beyond the single need- this is man. To build a wall, to build a house, a dam, and in the wall and house and dam to put something of Manself, and to Manself take back something of the wall, the house, the dam; to take hard muscles from the lifting, to take the clear lines and form from conceiving. For man, unlike any other thing organic or inorganic in the universe, grows beyond his work, walks up the stairs of his concepts, emerges ahead of his accomplishments. This you may say of man- when theories change and crash, when schools, philosophies, when narrow dark alleys of thought, national, religious, economic, grow and disintegrate, man reaches, stumbles forward, painfully, mistakenly sometimes. Having stepped forward, he may slip back, but only half a step, never the full step back. This you may say and know it and know it. This you may know when the bombs plummet out of the black planes on the market place, when prisoners are stuck like pigs, when the crushed bodies drain filthily in the dust. You may know it in this way. If the step were not being taken, if the stumbling-forward ache were not alive, the bombs would not fall, the throats would not be cut. Fear the time when the bombs stop falling while the bombers live- for every bomb is proof that the spirit has not died. And fear the time when the strikes stop while the great owners live- for every little beaten strike is proof that the step is being taken. And this you can know- fear the time when Manself will not suffer and die for a concept, for this one quality is the foundation of Manself, and this one quality is man, distinctive in the universe.

John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Acéphale
              • Apr 2010

Pleasure only starts once the worm has got into the fruit, to become delightful happiness must be tainted with poison.

- Wallace Stevens
              ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• mortalveneer
                • Jan 2008

For how short a while man speaks, and withal how vainly.

- Lord Dunsany
                I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ The fucker is dead, ain't he?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                    • Oct 2009

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• mortalveneer
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      /\ The fucker is dead, ain't he?
                      Touche, Faust, touche.

Although I would still say its open to interpretation how in vain his expositions were...
                      I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I love being touche! :) I don't know him, but sounds no different from the book of Ecclisastes that preceeded this by thousands of years.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                          • Nov 2008

If you can't win an argument,
                          correct their grammar instead.

sain't

Comment

• Phantom
                            • Mar 2011

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. Elbert Hubbard

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• Sombre
                                • Jan 2009

An error, sir, is worse than a sin, the reason being that a sin is often a matter of opinion or viewpoint or even timing but an error is a fact and it cries out for correction. - Terry Pratchett, Making Money
                                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎