Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grondie
    • Mar 2009

Boooooy I'll have to dig deep on this one - Off the top of my head Aquasky and BLIM were really 'on the bandwagon' with that direction.

I appreciate the challenge and will try to scrape up some examples.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
      • Jan 2007

I can see that there would be some influences of Breaks in Dubstep as obviously the whole niche electronic scene is a bit incestual, but I don't think that's where it evolved from or what it resembles at all. If anything, I'd say it started originally as a bastard child of 2-Step Garage and some elements of DnB, and was later heavily influenced by Eskibeat (the style, not the label)/Grime to get to the synth-heavy stage it's at now.

Here are some examples of Eskibeat tracks that probably had quite an influence on early dubstep producers.
      Skydiver (Instrumental) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTeL9WT6ogw (you can hear a lot of characteristic dubstep stuff here... the heavy snare/clap, even though it's on 4 not 3, all the little noises added to the regular percussions, and the somewhat wobbly synth, even if its not quite wobwobwob yet thank god)
      Wot Do U Call It - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPVJooHY3vU (this came out in 2004 but whatever)

This is why I can't hate Wiley even with the garbage he's making now... he was so influential in founding grime that I suppose he deserves to rake in cash now.

To be fair, I'm sure most if not all of the major grime producers were also listening to breaks back then. After all it was a small scene that revolved around a few clubs, stations, and record stores.

edit: Now the eskibeat/grime -> dubstep evolution has come full circle and grime artists are spitting on dubstep tracks. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgKhmbwsd4w
      Last edited by ProfMonnitoff; 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM.
      Originally posted by jogu
      i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
        • Mar 2009

/\ speaks truth! Wiley has to line his pockets somehow. Its the same thing Dizee is doing now.

But man you gotta love HLC........Female skanker,petrol in ya tanker,rave till its ovaaaaaaaa...LOL
        merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
          • Jan 2007

Man, this brings back memories... so many great lines... back when Wiley was Willy

And the response...

edit: also this one

Shame that a lot of related stuff hasn't made it to youtube... can't find much of So Solid either.

"Female Skanker, Bushkin's a wanker
          Bun him wif ma revolver, aye wot is dat game ova?"

"Oi, it's the paperboy,
          I'm in effect, directly from the L-O-N,
          E3 check it, I step it up, crew got wetted up."

"Reebok reebok reebok if that's all u got, u can..."

Don't get me wrong, I like HLC, but even though the crowd was with them at that gig, Pay As U Go (best name for a crew) killed it.

If you think about it, this clash pretty much defined 10 years of uk music.

I wish they still played this stuff at clubs... I was like 12 back then
          Last edited by ProfMonnitoff; 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM.
          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
            • Mar 2009

I was heavily into the garage scene back then. Uncles ran clubs in ayia nappa and,so i would spend 3-4 month severy summer out there from 98-01.
            99 was the best year!
            I was there at destiny in watford,the night of the clash!
            Bushko got a bit a distressed by major ace and what not,but man when he started the chant with the crowd.....PAUG your credit is dead!!!!
            Man i was in hysterics! But what killed it was the metric moses,mighty mo! (funnily enough he is my neighbour,and fonti's bro used to be my barber!)
            Mighty just giggled and turned paug know we lyrics on them....KILLED IT!

You go no weed,no gyal,no style,no viiiiiibe!!!

HLC where a different animal,they are vibes guys. PAUG where just "road man" with aggressive lyrics. Its due to them and so solid that fucked up the scene.

When garage first came on the scene circa 94-95,it was similar to the begginings of hip hop.
            U had the dj, and the mc was merely a host (think DT. dt on the 2's and 1's we doin it just for fun).With the rise of the mc came the bullshit aggro.
            Like hip-hop,the media was blaming it for the rise in gun crime and violence in around clubs.There were so many good crews,but who the fuck decided to make so solid the poster boys of the genre! wrong move!

Man i miss them days!
            merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• pierce
              Banned
              • Aug 2009

US garage kind of came over in the mid 90's and then the UK guys starting making their own version. Tunes like these below were the root of 2 step.
              You can trace the vocals in Burials music back to this time.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                • Jan 2007

I would give anything to have been part of that scene in the early 2000's. My best friend's older brother was studying in London at the time, and he'd always bring back garage tapes/records/CDs. That's how I got into it.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                  • Mar 2009

DJ EZ would always drop TODD(EDWARDS) tracks,when ever that first beat came in,the place would erupt.

10 explosive minutes of ez in the mix on kiss 100 from october 2005.radio thing (2004 remix)come aroundthe prayerdo you know why?winter behavior (2004 main v...

A little 10 minute EZ + TODD mix

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                    • Jan 2007

^ Recently found a copy of this at my local used cd place

first disc by ez, second disc by todd edwards. garage was so big that people often forget that 4x4/bassline were great (if derivative) genres too

To be honest I go crazy whenever any garage whatsoever comes on, even artful dodger.

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Mortalveneer,

Thank you so much for the CD. It's nice, slow, and heeeaaaaavy. Makes me smile, though the glassworking studio downstairs was non-plussed.
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                        • Jan 2008

^ np!

speaking of more recent grime, did any of you hear dirty goodz - ultrasound?

that had some pretty solid tracks on it imo (esp. the taz buckfaster rerip, but I'm a sucker for buckfaster)...
                        I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

speaking of wiley / dizzee and good instrumentals -

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                            • Mar 2009

love this little clash. Scratchy is one funny guy.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and here is an earlier clash

dizzee and crazy titch battle it out on lord of da mics
                            Last edited by SHYE_POSER; 03-10-2010, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• durbanhawk
                              • Feb 2009

Gotta say. This thread has upgraded my listening scope tremendously. Thanks for the links.

Comment

• Enaml
                                • Apr 2009

How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎