• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howl
    • Nov 2008

________
    Headshop
    Last edited by howl; 05-08-2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• ddohnggo
      • Oct 2006

i had the pleasure to see james blackshaw play with glenn jones to like 10 people. he was so fucking killer. very talented. he's now on young god records, which makes sense.
      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Oh weh mir
        • Oct 2008

Neubauten - Musterhaus 3.

I feel like I've been waiting forever for phase IV.
        Originally posted by AVALANCHE
        is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• Jorge Hache
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by merz
          his name is alive - livonia
          Nice choice, used to be a favourite of mine

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Why is it I haven't heard of 99% of the bands listed from page 1 to here of this thread? I fancy myself somewhat in tune with "popular music" but I aint heard of none of this shit. Can someone tell me, does this music fit into a particular subgenre? Is it as dark as the SZ aesthetic? Or is it just a case of this. (see line 3 of bullet points especially).

Do inform me.
            music

Comment

• destroyed
              • Nov 2006

broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by merz
                his name is alive - livonia
                Brilliant stuff...brilliant cover art too!

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                  • Mar 2007

Comment

• Magician
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                    Why is it I haven't heard of 99% of the bands listed from page 1 to here of this thread? I fancy myself somewhat in tune with "popular music" but I aint heard of none of this shit. Can someone tell me, does this music fit into a particular subgenre? Is it as dark as the SZ aesthetic? Or is it just a case of this. (see line 3 of bullet points especially).

Do inform me.
                    hahaha +1000.

I think a lot of the things people like are from more experimental genres like Noise, Ambient, or some No Wave-esque holdovers. I honestly really like it, because its inspired me to check out a lot of unique music I hadn't heard of. I had already dipped my toe in with some more experimental Black Metal, like the drone stuff on Southern Lord and some USBM like Wolves in The Throne Room and Nachtmystium.

If you're coming from a more indie rock background like me, Boris is a great starting point.
                    Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• destroyed
                      • Nov 2006

There just wouldn't be any point to this thread if everyone said, "I'm listening to the new Kanye" "Me, too" "I, too, am listening to Kanye West" "The new Kanye is on my iPod" "I listen to Kanye whilst exercising on the stairmaster" "Last night, I listened to Kanye as I prepared dinner" "Kanye has been on repeat..."

Comment

• ddohnggo
                        • Oct 2006

bread and circuits - s/t

this record is so great. mike kirsch is awesome.
                        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

kanye has been on repeat
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• destroyed
                            • Nov 2006

i actually (half)listened the new kanye last night as i was doing some household chores

it did not make me want to kill myself, but it did not encourage me to live

Comment

• Jonn
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Magician View Post
                              hahaha +1000.

I think a lot of the things people like are from more experimental genres like Noise, Ambient, or some No Wave-esque holdovers. I honestly really like it, because its inspired me to check out a lot of unique music I hadn't heard of. I had already dipped my toe in with some more experimental Black Metal, like the drone stuff on Southern Lord and some USBM like Wolves in The Throne Room and Nachtmystium.

If you're coming from a more indie rock background like me, Boris is a great starting point.
                              Post hardcore is getting a lot of love on this board. I tried, but this thing isnt meant for outsiders.

I'm listening to IIIrd Gatekeeper by skullflower. Whoa, shit is intense. I have a classic rock upbringing. Would never come across this if not for SZ

Comment

• klangspiel
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by qnc.hst View Post
                                Klang, both of those last two got me piqued. I've got a few Andrew Chalk solo releases on his label and love 'em all, how is that release compared to his other stuff
                                i can only describe it as faithfully andrew chalk. it's something one has come to expect from him post-organum. yet, it's a defining work in his on-going universe of loosely improvised "rustic dronescapes" despite the fact that it came out around 2005. i'd say on par with any of his solos and heemann collabs (notably, mirror).

there was a 2nd ghosts on water release that surfaced a few months back. haven't heard it yet but apparently it's quite a departure with the introduction of more musical instrumentations. will definitely pick that up. none of the faraway press releases has ever failed me. the recent vicki jackman cd is bloody good.

Originally posted by qnc.hst View Post
                                And re: Kazuki Tomokawa has been on the must-hear list for far too long... the Kan Mikami comparisons I've heard are makin' me drool..
                                you should definitely check tomokawa out. i've never actually agreed with the comparison with mikami kan because it has always struck me as somewhat tenuous and superficial but understandable since they have so much in common.
                                i mean, essentially they are the two most revered japanese (outsider) folk singer-songwriters with long impeccable histories weighted by strong and loyal cult followings, and prolificness unrivalled by any and comparable only to each other.
                                as well as the fact that they have similar connections with the cream of japanese avant-rock and -jazz (psf records, k.haino, motoharu yoshizawa, toshiaki ishitsuka, et al.) makes it easy to mention them in the same breath.

but that's where it ends because tomokawa's penchant for the surreal and the dramatic filtered through a distinctively mystical and romantic accord - particularly in overall lyricism and performance - makes him a completely different beast / poet / fabulist / performer from kan. their respective vocal deliveries are very different too. tomokawa has a bit more range and works within a higher register while kan's a guttural monotony (which is fucking awesome too).
                                i love them both but tomokawa seems to appeal more to me these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎