X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sam_tem
    • Apr 2007

cold cave - cremations

these guys really need to sit down and write some songs. if they can pull off a full album i'll probably be all over this shit.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
      • Nov 2008

i'm glad someone said it. heh.
      sadly, i can't afford $100 t-shirts let alone $100 books or records.

There's clips of the audio online, and it sounds great.

And Dom is always, always amazing live.

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
      EDIT: ...and then I realized that I can't even remember the last time I spent less than this on a t-shirt.

so fuck it.

I just copped.

Comment

• knitwit
        • Apr 2009

Last edited by knitwit; 05-19-2009, 01:26 AM. Reason: added: Urfaust/Joyless split

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Reliving the concert this past weekend.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Magician
            • Jul 2008

^ Caught him in Maryland. Reaally incredible, dynamic show.

noobtalk:

As to Tim Hecker, I'm sort of a latecomer so I'm not too familiar with his earlier work, I'll check out Ultraviolet from what everyone's been saying.

Any other recs in a similar vein? I'm also digging that Mountains record that hamlet hyped a while back. Sort of a new genre for me so I'm pretty open minded.
            Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
              • Nov 2008

Cool, I'm glad yr digging it. That's kind of my "thing", as it were. E-mail me off list. But yeah - I can give you the quick guide to Experimental Ambient music. Or - you could check out this radio thing I do every once in a blue moon. It's full of that kind of stuff.

Best of genre though - William Basinski, Thomas Koner, Deathprod, Bj Nilsen/Hazard, Tim Hecker, Fennesz (specifically "+47 degrees...", and "Venice").

If yr digging Hecker's latest, Ultraviolet will blow yr mind.

Also, my real name is Joshua. I feel silly having you guys call me Hamlet, though it's kind of also pushing my buttons at the same time.

Originally posted by Magician View Post

noobtalk:

As to Tim Hecker, I'm sort of a latecomer so I'm not too familiar with his earlier work, I'll check out Ultraviolet from what everyone's been saying.

Any other recs in a similar vein? I'm also digging that Mountains record that hamlet hyped a while back. Sort of a new genre for me so I'm pretty open minded.

Comment

• qnc.hst
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Magician View Post

noobtalk:

My well of this stuff certainly does not run as deep as ham... er, Joshua's (what merz sez is truth), and it seems like he'll be flipping switches off this board, but just to mention a couple more... if yr digging specifically the "cinematic and nostalgic" type aura of some of the stuff mentioned, I really dug the (1/2 of Mountains) Koen Holtkamp releases I heard last year. Field Rituals might be the most widely available? I dunno.

A bit foggier, but an album that I love very much, is Era of Sad Wings by Ninjiumu. More or less a Keiji Haino drone record, and much smoother around the edges than a lot of his stuff, but still definitely his stamp on it.

Possibly getting out of "ambient" territory into a different kind of drone, a lot of mid/late period Birchville Cat Motel gets pretty epic. Chi Vampires & Beautiful Speck Triumph are both excellent, as his his live collaboration release with Lee Ranaldo, 30th December 2004.

I think I'm getting away from what exactly you might be looking at, and again I defer to Joshua, but just to throw a few things out that, to my ears, have some connections and their own interesting aspects to them... and it's really just the tip of the iceberg, there is a vast field of worthwhile music (as well as lots of utter crap, naturally)... so enjoy!

edit: I really wanted to mention Andrew Chalk as well. His ambient stuff is super gentle, super beautiful... check Shadows From the Album Skies, the River That Flows Into the Sands, Blue Eyes of the March, Goldfall...
                I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• Magician
                  • Jul 2008

Thanks for the quick responses, this is the SZ I know and love.

Got a list of bands to check out now, and if you wanna post a link to your radio show I'll def check that as well.
                  Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• munch
                    • Aug 2008

Tim Hecker - an imaginary country is awesome imo.

listening to the album Synthstatic by Skywave atm, really like this stuff. a bit softer than APTBS, but really great.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                      • Nov 2008

Q1 and Q2 - Aw, shucks guys. I'm blushin'. I really appreciate the shout-outs, it means a lot to me.

...and quincy's recommendations are good ones - if you like mountains, you'll love Koen's solo work.
                      Last edited by hamletpowpowpow; 05-19-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• dunaj
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                        wolf eyes - always wrong

glad you brought up prurient. i saw his prepared piece at the xiu xiu/michael gira show at housing works and his piece was really good. i thought the video was kinda cheesy, but the music was excellent. i've only seen prurient once, and never really liked the music all that much, but i think the rose pillar stuff might be some of the music i heard at the show. i'm going to have to try and find it now.
                        yeah, the stuff he played at housing works was an excerpt from rose pillar. completely satisfied with my purchase of rose pillar, it's more than worth it.

Comment

• sam_tem
                          • Apr 2007

well i'll be damned, turns out pigs do fly

not only is there a new circulatory system album finally coming out but it's already leaked. called signal morning, get downloading folks.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                            • Oct 2006

Dunaj, do you have a digital rip of rose pillar? You going to wittr and sex vid/mind eraser/drunk driver/failures?
                            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                              • Nov 2008

Thirded on the Prurient rip.

Edit: Since I'm askin' -- I don't suppose any of y'all remember a band from Pittsburg in the late 90's called the 1985. Like, half the band went on to form that band Zombi, I think. Don't quote me on this though. There isn't anything really proggy about them.
                              Anyways - they were kind of dope. PA's take on the gravity/dischord scene. Anyone have their records? There were two - "Nerve Eighty" and "Obscured by Pink Clouds". I was going through some old mix tapes and found a few tracks.

Some how you guys have become my go to for really obscure (aka 3rd and 4th tier) mid to late 90's post hardcore bands. I mean this very affectionately.

Comment

• mass
                                • Sep 2006

beltway8 - fat pat lives

RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎