Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qnc.hst
    • Oct 2007

^ Many, many thanks for the fantastic descriptions, man. It's much appreciated, I am certainly going to go hunt some of this out ASAP. And thanks for the Vicki Jackman tip as well, I had forgotten that I had read some recommendation for that somewhere before, but I'll now make sure to bump it up the queue of things to seek out. To be fair, I have a lot of digging back to do into Andrew Chalk's work as well. I'm not familiar with the Organum or Mirror stuff, though I think I've heard some of his noise work on Broken Flag (if I'm remembering correctly that he did that stuff). I came to him solely on recommendations for some of the solo Faraway Press stuff, post-everything else.

Re: Tomokawa, you have me feeling very guilty for always backing down when I've been on the verge of purchasing any of his work. And thanks for divulging some of the differences between him and Mikami. I would certainly be less interested to branch out and explore his work if it was more of the 'same'.

If I didn't have prior obligations to attend to at present, I would already by hunting... but this is gonna stick with me now. New Years Resolutions just got a revision...
    I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• Jorge Hache
      • Sep 2006

Red House Painters - Retrospective

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
        • Nov 2008

yeah, i saw him back in like, 98-99, and it was similar. it was at the cooler and some drunk guy started heckling him, calling him santa claus...it was pretty depressing, actually. clearly, the person didn't know who he was...he passed away not long after, and i was pretty devastated by it.

Originally posted by destroyed View Post
        ^ religious experience? i would say it was more like seeing santa claus in the flesh. truly, he did look like kris kringle: white beard, red socks, red t-shirt, and suspenders, if memory serves, and it rarely does!

i later learned that he was living in his car during his twilight years, and that thought is very, very depressing.

Comment

• Secretside
          • Jul 2008

lydia lunch - stares to nowhere

Comment

• maldoror
            • Jun 2007

fwiw, having now done some catch up research on fahey's final chapter, I'd wager a guess that the religious experience stories I've been told were based earlier performances (unless by "religious experience" we're talking about confirmation of the darkness)

and it is a tragic end indeed.

Comment

• YoungM
              • Nov 2008

I'm listening to a LOT of Wolf Parade and its off shoots (Handsome Furs and Sunset Rubdown).

That has been my favorite song for a surprisingly long time.

Beyond that, Tv On The Radio, Okkervil River, some crappy, yet catchy rap, and Neutral Milk Hotel.

And the Hold Steady. I'm like a pitchfork poster boy.

Comment

• Avyer
                • Dec 2007

Porcupine Tree - Warszawa
                Remember, be here now.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

"so while you daydream, my mercedes gleam, and i deal with hoes that pose in Maybelline"
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                    • Jan 2008

Thomas Dybdahl... Don't Lose Yourself

Nothing like a bit of Thomas Dybdahl, a pencil, drawing paper
                    and a cup of coffee, black ...

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• loveless
                      • Feb 2007

BOA Drum 77 recordings

i was there that transcendental day in brooklyln and just stumbled upon the recordings....

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

^^^

never heard of that guy. but i like the cover photo, and i like the title...gonna check that out.
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• ahlefeldt
                          • May 2008

The Look Of Love - ABC, 80's night.

Comment

• doldrums
                            • Dec 2008

WHAAAT...can't believe how many people got a chance to see him. blows my mind.

I have a copy of a John Fahey how to play guitar video that is pretty fantastic if anyone interested, i can try to seed it. I dont even play...

Originally posted by merz
                            saw fahey with nels cline couple of months after i first moved to the states, on the pier in santa monica. i had just been introduced to his work by a friend and was asked to come along for the show, not really knowing what to expect. echoing everyone else's experiences here, the audience was pretty strange and people were walking out on his performance the entire time. don't know about religious experience, though it falls in line with stuff i've come to prefer since. came up to thank him after his set & the most vivid memory for some reason was the sort of vile, almost rancid smell of him.

Comment

• doldrums
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by YoungM View Post
                              I'm listening to a LOT of Wolf Parade and its off shoots (Handsome Furs and Sunset Rubdown).

That has been my favorite song for a surprisingly long time.

Beyond that, Tv On The Radio, Okkervil River, some crappy, yet catchy rap, and Neutral Milk Hotel.

And the Hold Steady. I'm like a pitchfork poster boy.
                              I love the new fennesz album and pitchfork like it too .

seriously though, i wish they just broadened their scope, dug a bit deeper buts its a good resource for what it is. In my freshman year of college, when i was into mogwai - i applied for a job with them (you know, back when it was cool ) and submitted a review for the new mogwai young team album and actually got a good response/job but they could only pay in cds. i flaked but probably a big mistake on my part...

NP: Beach House <--fills same space in my library as Low did.

Comment

• destroyed
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
                                WHAAAT...can't believe how many people got a chance to see him. blows my mind.

I have a copy of a John Fahey how to play guitar video that is pretty fantastic if anyone interested, i can try to seed it. I dont even play...
                                Never heard of that. I would be very interested. I play acoustic guitar retardedly (excuse me), as in, I can play Sweedeedee, only. Fingerpicking exclusively, a la Mr. Fahey himself----I love the stories of his habit of only using a pick on Blue moons (my idiom) and on those rare occasions, as soon as he was done, he would walk the pick to the river and throw it away (litter concept).

Fahey is an extraordinary writer. How Bluegrass Destroyed My Life would be enough to justify his existence (I am thinking of all the meat and oxygen consumed in a lifetime).

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
                                I love the new fennesz album and pitchfork like it too .
                                wha?! a new Fennesz album! i should procure it. quick-like.
                                broken mirror, white terror

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎