X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • c.r.e.a.m.
    • Jan 2009

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

I heard great things about this cd, but didnt have a chance to listen to it through until recently. Definitely one of their more accessible albums, but im really feeling it. One of the best new albums to come out in a while...

Comment

• mumma
      • Oct 2008

definitely the new animal collective is as good as "sung tongs" which was their best album imho. really enjoy those african inspirations which on their concert sounded even closer to kind of techno (they played actually in one of the best techno clubs in europe - panorama bar).

i've been listening to the schostakovich second piano concert and then some lutoslawski compositions for strings before and right now quite nice album by ivytree (known as a member of thuja collective as well) - winged leaves, but it's quite old one, i mean comes from 2005 or so, anyway still sounds fantastic.

also there is a new great arthur russell's compilation called "love is overtaking me". highly recommended ;-)
      LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
      Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
      www.loupeon.com

Comment

• mumma
        • Oct 2008

definitely the new animal collective is as good as "sung tongs" which was their best album imho. really enjoy those african inspirations which on their concert sounded even closer to kind of techno (they played actually in one of the best techno clubs in europe - panorama bar).

i've been listening to the schostakovich second piano concert and then some lutoslawski compositions for strings before and right now quite nice album by ivytree (known as a member of thuja collective as well) - winged leaves, but it's quite old one, i mean comes from 2005 or so, anyway still sounds fantastic.

also there is a new great arthur russell's compilation called "love is overtaking me". highly recommended ;-)
        LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
        Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
        www.loupeon.com

Comment

• electric_alyce
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by North View Post
          it leaked :)

i must say its really good.
          It's out digital now (listening to it on Spotify now). Quite awesome really! :D
          Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
            • Jan 2008

PJ Harvey... O Stella

Stella Marie you're my star
            I pin you to my chest
            Sell you to the rest
            I kiss her gown
            Send those angels down to woo me now

I think I see her smiling
            Think I see her smiling
            Think I see her smiling
            Think I see her smiling
            Go
            Go
            Go
            Go go

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
            Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• D_S
              • Jul 2008

Just got turned onto the Vienna Vegetable Orchestra yesterday (from the radio of all places). Shit is HOT! A spacey journey via vegatable instruments.

Check it: www.gemueseorchester.org

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                • Nov 2008

coming out of my self imposed exile to say that i'm gonna call it now - new khanate as one of the best of the year. one of the most wonderfully understated records i've heard in ages. it's has this weary sadness to it that's just stunning. i'd describe it has being rather tragic and beautiful. i'm obsessing over it in a way i haven't done with a record in years.

also, once again, gonna say that the new mountains record is going to be a big one...much better than the last fennesz, which i found rather underwhelming.

Comment

• sam_tem
                  • Apr 2007

i was only able to give it a cursory listen but i thought the new khanate sounded great as well. it's always a pleasure when they drop a new record.

after watching Modern Grils last night i've been on a huge depeche mode binge all morning long

Comment

• ddohnggo
                    • Oct 2006

i haven't had a chance to listen to the new khanate, but it's on my computer now. they were pretty dope live as well. i thought they broke up?

i saw mountains live with greg davis, and i thought they were just ok. who's releasing the new record?
                    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                      • Nov 2008

khanate did break up, a while ago. direct from the horses mouth - no, they won't be getting back together. i think things are slightly more amicable between ex members now tho...so who knows. they were fucking amazing live.

as for the long delay on this release - my understanding is that they were all too busy to really worry about it until now. sucks - just really makes me miss that band. definitely my favorite out of all of soma's projects.

call me crazy, but the record reminds me of codeine. but codeine going through codeine withdrawal. heh.

re: mountains - thrill jockey is putting out the new record, and it comes out in february. they've definitely grown as a live act, so i'd give em a second chance. regardless of how they are on stage, their records are fantastic and this new one is definitely one of their strongest releases yet. it's not too different from sewn or their catsup plate lp, it's just more focused and developed. also, if you haven't heard the catsup plate record...i highly recommend you check it out. it's killer.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                        • Oct 2006

khanate's laser etched flask was pretty key.

mountains released an lp on catsup plate? seems a bit random. based on what you say, i'll check it out. what's it called?

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                          • Nov 2008

also, for you black metal fiends...the new deathspell is pretty sick. normally when a band gets this long winded and heavy handed, i'd be annoyed, but with them i love it. i mean, how can you not get down with pseudo-intellectual satanic lyrics in latin?

and to think i used to be very vocal on french rock music sucking.

edit:
                          in reply - re: mountains on catsup plate. not too random - those guys run in the same circles as rob who runs the label. it's called "mountains mountains mountains" (if you look, you can find my signature on the cover) - it's definitely some of the best stuff they've done. the last track, "hive" is just stunning...
                          audio clips here:

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                            • Mar 2007

Botch - American Nervoso
                            Der Ventilator - Demo
                            Born Dead Icons - Part of Something Larger
                            Hopesfall - No Wings to Speak Of
                            I Hate Myself / Twelve Hour Turn Split

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
                              also, for you black metal fiends...the new deathspell is pretty sick. normally when a band gets this long winded and heavy handed, i'd be annoyed, but with them i love it. i mean, how can you not get down with pseudo-intellectual satanic lyrics in latin?

and to think i used to be very vocal on french rock music sucking.
                              I've always steered clear, when i hear that a bunch of hardcore / punk knuckleheads love them, despite critical praise. what record should i check out? its very blackmetal/rock right? like Craft?

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

i saw born dead icons once. they smelled. end of story.

damn, 12 hour turn, nostalgia. if i remember correctly, i saw them once with true north a while back as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎