X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamletpowpowpow
    • Nov 2008

There, I'm getting both of y'all in one quote. The two q's. 8

I'm as hauntological as it gets, and I'm not embarrassed about it.

Leyland Kirby - I think my main issue with it is that I don't know that it had to be 3 separate releases. I think it could have been one really, really fucking good lp, maybe a double lp. I have a big thing about editing and a lot of those records just seem so dense.

On the hauntological tip, of course the latest William Basinski is genius of course. Fucking hell.

Svarte Greiner - he's coming back to the states? Erik is the sweetest kid on earth.

Originally posted by merz
    yer on a roll, buttery. i do hope to see svarte greiner playing west coast this year.

Comment

• Dropt
      • May 2009

underground railroad kind of makes me think of ulan bator's first couple of records for some reason..
      Another discovery here, interesting band, i'll dig that.

These day i'm relistening a lot the first ep of Sonic youth. After thoughs, i prefer their firsts and lasts albums (Sonic youth, sister, evol, sonic nurse, Rather ripped) rather than the rest, maybe because it's like, 2 extremes points of a same style...

sounds so new for 1982...
      Last edited by Dropt; 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• qnc.hst
        • Oct 2007

J, I think I can see yr angle re: culling L.Kirby's Sadly... down to a smaller scale thing (which it was originally intended to be in the first place) but per my last ramble, I'm definitely *not* one for editing, so I must respectfully hold true to the monolith as it stands. But yeah, not sure how many times I'll have the time to sit through the whole shebang as a complete set in one sitting.

It's been too long since I've checked on new Basinski due to the lack of vinyl output on his end. Now that my listening circumstances have changed, I'll be sure to get on that. Love everything I've heard of his. Thanks for the rec.

Just noticed that it looks like Mountains are coming to my wee burg in a couple of weeks... kind of surprising, I gotta find out who's booking this stuff; maybe I can make a friend (doubtful). Looks like Cold Cave (who I still haven't actually heard an album by) and Hair Police in February as well... some shows to attend to atone for missing Spykes and the rest of the MI noize posse coming through in latest December.
        I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
          • Nov 2008

Re: Leyland Kirby@ Q1 and Q2 - I don't know that you're actually supposed to listen to that thing all at once. I couldn't imagine doing that. I'll be honest, I haven't been able to listen to any part of it in one sitting.

What's yr neck of the woods anyways? Hair Police are great, but nowhere near as good live as Wolf Eyes are. I know I rave about their live prowess on here a lot, but goddammit, I've never been anything less than blown away by how smart that band is live. Wolf Eyes is one of those bands who are way smarter than they let on...unlike say, Isis who aren't quite as smart as they think they are.

But yeah, hopefully hair police are coming to nyc, I'd be down to see em again.

NYC isn't much better M, it was the same deal last time I saw Kirkegaard or Svarte Greiner. Apparently we have very marginal taste in music.

Originally posted by qnc.hst View Post
          J, I think I can see yr angle re: culling L.Kirby's Sadly... down to a smaller scale thing (which it was originally intended to be in the first place) but per my last ramble, I'm definitely *not* one for editing, so I must respectfully hold true to the monolith as it stands. But yeah, not sure how many times I'll have the time to sit through the whole shebang as a complete set in one sitting.

It's been too long since I've checked on new Basinski due to the lack of vinyl output on his end. Now that my listening circumstances have changed, I'll be sure to get on that. Love everything I've heard of his. Thanks for the rec.

Just noticed that it looks like Mountains are coming to my wee burg in a couple of weeks... kind of surprising, I gotta find out who's booking this stuff; maybe I can make a friend (doubtful). Looks like Cold Cave (who I still haven't actually heard an album by) and Hair Police in February as well... some shows to attend to atone for missing Spykes and the rest of the MI noize posse coming through in latest December.

Comment

• laughed
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
            Re: Leyland Kirby@ Q1 and Q2 - I don't know that you're actually supposed to listen to that thing all at once. I couldn't imagine doing that. I'll be honest, I haven't been able to listen to any part of it in one sitting.

What's yr neck of the woods anyways? Hair Police are great, but nowhere near as good live as Wolf Eyes are. I know I rave about their live prowess on here a lot, but goddammit, I've never been anything less than blown away by how smart that band is live. Wolf Eyes is one of those bands who are way smarter than they let on...unlike say, Isis who aren't quite as smart as they think they are.

But yeah, hopefully hair police are coming to nyc, I'd be down to see em again.

NYC isn't much better M, it was the same deal last time I saw Kirkegaard or Svarte Greiner. Apparently we have very marginal taste in music.

Saw Wolf Eyes live at King King in Hollywood about 4 or 5 years ago. It was a great show. Even though Black Dice have caught on with the Animal Collective crowd, I saw them about 5 years ago as well and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. I was obliterated both nights, but the sound that Black Dice had was much better live. Wolf Eyes was sort of flat and really, not that loud. I made an ass out of my self and yelled "yeahhhh, wollfff eyyyeeess" about 15 times in between songs to the point the guys in wolf eyes were laughing and looking at me like "who is this jackass?"
            anyway, does anyone know a good place that does cassette printing and duplication?

Comment

• Staton Viguier
              • Jan 2008

Comment

• DRRRK
                • Aug 2009

I seem to have an emotional day. I thought I'd listen to some older stuff again and started today with Built To Spill's Perfect From Now On. I was overwhelmed by its beauty.
                Does anybody know some newer bands doing anything similar?

Comment

• qnc.hst
                  • Oct 2007

(Sorry in advance for referencing multiple posts w/ out proper quoting protocol... I'm not caffeinated enough for the required mousework at the moment)

1) My neck/woods = Madison, WI. As SLEEEEEPY a college town as every there may have been. Still, enough cool folks that stuff does come through about 1ce/month, and I certainly am not doing anything to book shows so I am certifiably part of the problem. Clay Ruby (Davenport, Burial Hex, etc) goes through spurts of bringing stuff in and the extended Davenport fam around here keeps things churning. Indra and Aaron of Peaking Lights have been trv champs over the past couple of years booking the hell out of some great music at their shop. And there's a pretty constant influx of kids w/ connections that get good things going as well, but stuff mostly blooms fizzles around the 4 year school cycle, from what I can tell (I've been here 10 years now --- shiiiit). This is now getting way outta this thread's scope, so I'll shut it down... but on a local-related black metal tip, have we discussed WORMSBLOOD here?

2) I caught Wolf Eyes at the now-torn down second student union in town a few years back... one of the better shows I've caught locally. Definitely not a thin sound at that show... It was in a cafeteria space (think "The Max" or whatever from Saved By the Bell... sorry, most apt comparison I can think of) and that somehow made the creep resonances all the more effective... like the undergrowth had finally toppled the malt shoppe or some shit. Also really got the dub vibes... lots of effective sub-bass action. VERY cool.

3) Just gave the Zurich lp a first spin last night. Not bad, and I bet it will grow on me... but I was hoping it would be closer to Pygmallion, whereas I found it more Selected Ambient Works-style Aphex Twin. Damn, I still gotta look up those Slowdive singles... Pygmallion has really grown on me over the past couple of months. As for the crossroads of Slowdive talk and Miasmah talk... anyone heard that Simon Scott lp? I ain't checked it yet... worthwhile?

4) I too would be interested in a reputable tape printing/duping service. Got my own Italo-shitgaze(guh) intentions for the Dime...
                  I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

rest in peace teddy p...

www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• coup de grace
                      x
                      • Sep 2006

apropos of earlier discussions

today's playlist / mix for a friend

The Caretaker, Lacunar Amnesia
                      Wolf Eyes, Burn your house Down
                      Nirvana, Rape Me (Solo Acoustic Demo)
                      Second Story Window, Big Eyed Blue
                      Shipping News, (Morays Or) Demon
                      Universal Order Of Armageddon, Visible Distance
                      The Great Unraveling, Alien Landscape
                      Cat Power, Headlights
                      Former Ghosts, The Bull and the Ram
                      Cold Cave, Heavenly Metals
                      prurient, yellow trumpets grow in darkness
                      Low, Violent Past
                      HEALTH, Die Slow
                      The Jesus Lizard, Horse
                      Khlyst, IV
                      Sea Of Tombs, Glass Sun
                      Portraits Of Past, The Outlook Is Bleak
                      Holy Sons, From Now On

Comment

• snafu
                        • Apr 2008

down to you this is on my top played list

along with my personal favorite

'we'll hang you for that' ...constantly listen to this on the tube

oh man.. i'm beside myself here. & no algis? just saw him play with teenage jesus a few months ago.. either way, good news to start the year off with, y. thanks.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                          • Nov 2008

russian version of the wipers?

np: (click for link/video)

Comment

• laughed
                            • Jul 2009

I've been out of the loop for a while, due to time, but just came across Human Adult Band (and I'll be damned if after I came across them, there was Thurston Moore's ass telling me how great they are)....
                            Also listening to Vegas Martyrs (who I'm sure Thurston will write a book about for some damn reason in the next few months or so).

Comment

• Enaml
                              • Apr 2009

HTRK interview/mixtape, since there seems to be some following here.

also: Nosaj Thing - Drift
                              Various Philip Glass albums
                              Last edited by Enaml; 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM.
                              How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• DRRRK
                                • Aug 2009

Tried the new These New Puritans album today and I will not make another attempt. Spent too much time trying to like the first album and ended up feeling the same about it as before.

Much better, so good I'm lost for words:

Xiu Xiu - Dear God, I Hate Myself ()

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎