• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
    Sounds good if you erase the supplement stuff
    Nobody needs supplements if the diet is balanced and natural.
    Not accurate. Many people don't need supplements with a balanced diets, others do. Also, a balanced diet may provide enough of nutrient X, but supplementing it may make you healthier nonetheless.

Does anyone want to give me the short version on the difference between Casein protein and Egg protein as the slow-acting alternative to Whey?
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• viv1984viv
      • Feb 2008

Lots of interesting talk here.

After posting this : http://notesfromthevomitorium.blogsp...ael-moore.html

A while back I started to think about sugar and alcohol and corn syrup a bit more than before..... I've never dieted, never counted calories and never started a strict regime - but I eat stuff I enjoy, work out, ride bikes and play squash.

More and more I feel that the psychological and lifestyle aspect of diet is very important, if I wake and have some fat, some protein ( like a bacon and egg sandwich, brown bread ) I am going to feel happy, energized and unaware of my tummy for pretty much the rest of the day.

Fat, and Protein satisfy - and its better to be satisfied rather than hungry for four reasons:

1- You feel better, so exercise harder.
      2- You are less likely to snack, will decline food etc ( if like me you are not strict )
      3- Happier
      4- Hunger strikes later, by which point you may well be back at home in a situation to cook a decent, healthy meal, rather than being out and about unable to find the right food.

Unless you can be very strict with yourself I think its important not to underestimate the effect that feeling good and strong will have upon your diet.

I'm sure some nutritionalists could school me on where im going wrong or what I could do, but i'm in decent shape - with a six pack shadow ( not ripped, but a bit of definition - regular ) and I'd rather eat well and feel great and train hard rather than starve my brain and give half assed workouts after a day of thinking about what I can't eat.....
      Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• MoFiya
        • Sep 2007

does anybody have a program or whatsoever which organizes their workout in a diary manner? you type in your usual training schedule and then, from day to day you add the liftet weight + reps.
        i tend to forget how much weight i needed / where i wanted to increase the weight...

if there is no cool program for that, guess i'll just write a short excel file. but a nice interface and some comfort handling the stuff would be of course appreciated
        I have dreams of orca whales and owls
        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Icarium
          • Oct 2010

So besides eyeballing yourself in the mirror and getting a dunk test what are good ways of judging if you've lost muscle mass or not?

I've been running a pretty hard calorie deficit most 4 days of the week (i.e. intake 1500 - 2000 calories and burn probably 1000-1300 between 45 minutes of 162 hpm cardio, weight lifting and biking 8 miles (round trip to work and back).

Strength wise I've been able to maintain increase what I can lift, but I figure I must be losing lean body mass while doing this and experiencing steady weight loss.

I've done dunk tests twice as they offer it at work from time to time, but not sure when they are going to be back next. I lost 0.4 pounds of muscle mass dropping from 28 percent to 23 percent body fat. If I'm breaking even on lean body mass I'm probably at ~14-15 percent body fat now and able to lift more then my last dunk test... but... yeah I have no idea how to say for sure until the dunk test truck comes back :)

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

1500-2000 calories can't possibly be enough for anybody past the age of 16. I'm running on at least 3-4K a day in order to stay put at 175 lbs.

I think viv1984viv speaks the truth. Life's too short anyway
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• uL7iMa
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
              1500-2000 calories can't possibly be enough for anybody past the age of 16. I'm running on at least 3-4K a day in order to stay put at 175 lbs.

I disagree, a lot of factors come into play that determine maintenance calories. A person who's not to tall, and doing a job that requires him to sit in front a screen for the majority of his time would require less calories than one who has to run about a lot.

At the end of the day, calories are just numbers. Every individual's metabolism differs as well. I'd say macro manipulation is better than trying to tweak calorie intake.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• MoFiya
                • Sep 2007

So is there any possibility to lift weights in the gym and not to put on weight / muscles but in order to gain definition and burn fat? Any special system?
                I'm going there like twice a weak and do cardio pretty often, still I do gain muscles and am kinda worried my clothes won't fit one day
                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Raw
                  • Oct 2009

Try circuit training or using supersets with little rest, like 30-60 sec between supersets. Focus more on diet and add in some interval training in.

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
                    So besides eyeballing yourself in the mirror and getting a dunk test what are good ways of judging if you've lost muscle mass or not?
                    Tape measurer. Upper Arms, Thighs, Navel, Chest, Hips. Repeat measurements as needed, will give you a reasonable idea of where lost weight is coming from

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post

Sheesh. I need to consistently hit under 2500 kcal/day with a bit of exercise to drop weight at 205 lbs.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Raw View Post
                      Try circuit training or using supersets with little rest, like 30-60 sec between supersets. Focus more on diet and add in some interval training in.
                      Thanks. My gym is very small - i.e. one rack only and some machines. Is it possible to do circuit training within these constraints or do I need like 4 machines / bars to succesfully complete one cycle?
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Thanks. My gym is very small - i.e. one rack only and some machines. Is it possible to do circuit training within these constraints or do I need like 4 machines / bars to succesfully complete one cycle?
                        You can setup circuits using only weights, even using only bodyweight. Machines are completely unnecessary.

Comment

• MoFiya
                          • Sep 2007

Yeah I dont like em neither...
                          But as far as I am informed cycle means no pause between the different exercises. How am I meant to change the weights on the bar? Might be an odd question.
                          I am not too informed about circuits, all I know about is training for hypertrophy so sorry for the lame questions.
                          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• modern77
                            • Oct 2006

Mofiya, I've been going to the gym for the last 10 years religiously, and lift pretty heavily, but have managed to keep my weight pretty low. What works for me is running. I run for at least 30 minutes after weight lifting, about 3-4 times a week. Plus playing soccer for a team every weekend, and training once a week. Cardio is the most important thing when trying to tone up and get defined.

Comment

• kunk75
                              Banned
                              • May 2008

no, you gain definition through fat loss, there is no toning, it doesn't exist. believe me, you will not gain too much muscle by accident. it took me 10 years to gain 35lbs of muscle.

So is there any possibility to lift weights in the gym and not to put on weight / muscles but in order to gain definition and burn fat? Any special system?
                              I'm going there like twice a weak and do cardio pretty often, still I do gain muscles and am kinda worried my clothes won't fit one day

Comment

• Raw
                                • Oct 2009

If your goal isn't putting on muscle and size, you can easily get away with just using dumbells and bodyweight. You can try bodyweight circuits too, variations of pushups, squats, lunges, planks, mountain climbers can get you really toned, add in some pulling movements with free weights or pullups if you can do them and you'll be set . Try to stay away from machines, free weights are always better.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎