• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
    ^ this?

Plus, I am supplementing dextrose right after working out because I found out it enhances my regeneration. Should I take it before or after the cardio?
    With a goal of weight loss and definition, I would think pre-food is your best bet. You are doing high rep sets with weights, trying to lose fat, which is where people usually recommend early morning to me.

Protein powders aren't too expensive, though not too cheap. If you're trying to get whey and BCAA both, I believe Nature's Best Zero Carb Isopure (fucking stupid name) and Optimum Nutrition's Hydro Whey have something like 8.8 grams of BCAAs (standard trio) per serving or two servings. From somewhere like bodybuilding.com, they're pretty reasonable. If you are buying them from GNC, they're priced like XXX.

Unrelated note, has anyone tried Crossfit workouts? I'm bored of my regimen and so I've stopped going to the gym more than 3 times a week, which is no good. The closest organized workouts for me are Crossfit and swimming. I know I should swim, but I fucking hate swimming for exercise. I always just want to loll around in the pool and do nothing.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• MoFiya
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
      With a goal of weight loss and definition, I would think pre-food is your best bet. You are doing high rep sets with weights, trying to lose fat, which is where people usually recommend early morning to me.
      Sorry, I don't really get what you're saying there
      Do you mean I should take the dextrose after the workout and prior the 25min cardio I do afterwards?

The closest organized workouts for me are Crossfit and swimming. I know I should swim, but I fucking hate swimming for exercise. I always just want to loll around in the pool and do nothing.
      I have some nice swimming workouts if you care for that Actually just did one today. They're all more or less around 2km, contain a lot of intervals and are aiming at olympic triathlon distance..
      I have dreams of orca whales and owls
      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Nah, take dextrose after you're finished, if you can get through your workout.

If I start swimming, I'll join a master's swim group out here. I probably will once the weather gets warmer, but ... ugh. I hate swimming.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

yes, and they are essential if you're doing intermittent fasting

Originally posted by Raw View Post
          I think it's good to take BCAAs prior to empty stomach workouts.

Comment

• MoFiya
            • Sep 2007

Okay, thanks

Swimming can be real fun :) That is, if you do intervals. I usually hate sprints but with swimming, I love it... And good choice, to get into a group - it's all about a proper technique.
            And good thing about it: you can act stupid as hell and still you're not getting injured. And no aching muscles either
            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Looking for suggestions here:

I just started doing a high intensity circuit training regimen (20-30 minutes only, but pushing intensity to near failure for most of the time). I've been on a zero-carb restricted calorie diet for a bit.

I'm having trouble with the combo. I can do long duration cardio, or lower intensity circuits with no difficulty on this diet, but with the high intensity circuit, I get dizzy and see spots about 12 minutes in. I suspect I could fix this with a simple slice of bread with some peanut butter before my routine, but I'd like to find a fix that doesn't involve carbohydrate supplementation. Reducing intensity is another option, but on a less-strict diet this circuit would not cause me such trouble so I'm trying to find another fix.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                • Jan 2008

The common thing to look at, is your intake of water(Do you drink enough? An increase might help) and sleeping patterns(Do you get enough rest?), to help the body through an adapting period.

I'm no expert, so this is just some basic things to look at.
                I just know when I was doing extensive dance training and work,
                there was noway I could have gone through that without carbs.
                But we are talking about being in a dance studio minimum 8hrs
                a day, and not a 30min workout, so yes a big difference.
                Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 02-03-2011, 05:18 PM.
                Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Yeah, I'm good on water and sleep, it's not that. I'm in good shape for 2 hour bike rides on this diet too. It's just somehow the high intensity is causing me trouble it normally does not.

FWIW, I've never been in shape for 8 hours/day of dance, but I can't imagine that being approached without carb-heavy diet. You just need the easily available calories, I would think.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                    • Jan 2008

I was, but not anymore. Yes a lot of carbs and at least 4-5ltr
                    water a day. I must admit I didn't eat enough and never did
                    get enough rest, plus smoking etc. Sometimes, I'm not quite
                    sure how I got through it. Now I just do yoga.

But yes, you sound like you're in good shape,
                    and should be able to do this. Maybe it's just adapting,
                    so hopefully it will pass, or else you should talk to somebody
                    with expertise, if you're persistent to carry this through.
                    Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

I've been on a zero-carb restricted calorie diet for a bit.
                      I'ld say just supplement some dextrose before working out. That being said, I am no fan of "no carb diet" either, running low on carbs (<50g or so) will be sure to keep you on ketose, too.
                      But I think that HIT and the diet is not a good combo either... I've seem some people who trained this way changed their routine when they started to go on a diet, seems to be just too much in combination.
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Raw
                        • Oct 2009

Theetruscan, if you don't want to use carb supplements, just eat a banana pre-training. The more ripe the better.

Comment

• jscl
                          • Jan 2010

What's the consensus on cardio before or after weight training? I'm looking to add a few pounds
                          JUST THE HITS

Comment

• Raw
                            • Oct 2009

You don't really need to do cardio before or after weight training if you're trying to put on weight. A decent weight training program should keep you well conditioned enough. You can do some cardio on your off days if you feel you really need to. Never do cardio before weight training in the same session, if you want to do both in the same session, always do cardio after weights.

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

For general fitness, it's good to do at least 15-20 minutes of high intensity cardio a few times a week. While building muscle, you may skip it for a bit, but don't make a habit of avoiding it.

Comment

• jscl
                                • Jan 2010

Yeah I'm worried that if I put it off to gain muscle I'll end up neglecting it for a while... Any one have recommendations on workout programs? I'm currently just doing bench and pull ups one day, then squats, leg extensions, dead lift and running the next day. :/
                                JUST THE HITS

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎