Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raw
    • Oct 2009

I was hoping these would make a good all purpose shoe for lifting and running, but I guess not. Maybe I should have gone a size up, I'm usually a US9.5 in sneakers and have had Merrell's in 10 before but decided to get these more snug in a 9 since they are a minimal shoe

Comment

• cowsareforeating
      • Jan 2011

yo anyone do yoga regularly -- want to be able to practice regularly but it competes (time wise) with climbing which is my one true love...

plus my flexibility is pretty shit so there are a bunch of poses that I feel like I'm not reaping benefits fully from...

advice? thoughts? artisan yogawear in shades of grey/black? LOL

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
        yo anyone do yoga regularly -- want to be able to practice regularly but it competes (time wise) with climbing which is my one true love...

plus my flexibility is pretty shit so there are a bunch of poses that I feel like I'm not reaping benefits fully from...

advice? thoughts? artisan yogawear in shades of grey/black? LOL
        Inspired a bit by that Devoa video eh? Reminded me of the style of Duncan Wong. You should check him out. He mixes Ashtanga Yoga with Korean Gung Fu and Thai Therapeutic Massage. The massage for instance, can be seen in his wrist therapy session, which I find fantastic for when I prep to do extensively long handstand positions.
        What kind of climbing do you do out of curiosity? Bouldering?
        I have a friend who leads in a yoga session at his university before they perform any climbs. Now assuming you stretch before climbing, have you considered doing some yoga positions as a proxy for said stretches?
        What kind of yoga positions are you trying to perform? Or rather what exactly would you like to work your way to?
        (I love yoga sells high quality black rubber yoga mats if you're interested)
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• cowsareforeating
          • Jan 2011

Of course I liked the devoa video!

Want to try out some iyengar/anasura classesy -- I took a 25 ft fall a year or so ago... and so for back alignment and improved overall health. I would like to be able to be good enough to teach classes someday but in no hurry.

I have a mat need linen drop crotch yoga wear loll. Would like to be able to do most inversions, spinal flexibilty making plough and shoulder stands hard. I can't do most seated stuff due to inflexibility. Love pigeon though want to side pigeon.

And I boulder mainly so probably a bunch of imbalances going on

Comment

• Icarium
            • Oct 2010

Went a little crazy on gyakusou gear but it's been motivating me to step it up a little bit more on the gymming.

Maybe people here can give me a little advice on how to make the last push. I know there are things I can change right now, but I'm curious if there's other things that I can do before that.

Context:
            I used to weigh about 290 at 5'7.5". I'm currently about 175 after ~3 years. I haven't done much to change my diet except eat somewhat less, but I still eat a lot and the composition isn't spectacularly great. I'm fine with my weight now and I'm much stronger/fit than I used to be.

My only fitness goal is not have a gut. I don't really need a sixpack, but I have a bit of a gut/lovehandles that I'd like to try and not have if that's at all possible.

Nowdays my routine is like eat 1.5 - 3k calories a day during the work week. Gym 4x with about 1 hr cardio (2x elliptical, 2x running) hitting a heart rate of ~160bpm +- 5.

2 ab exercises 4 sets each.

Then a day of 3x chest related lifts/machines and a day of 3x back related lifts/machines. Used to do a day of leg machines but turns out the one I'm using is a little bit risky and it owned my knee which has just recently recovered.

A couple problems I know about are I generally have at least day on the weekend where I eat an insane amount like 5-7k calories. Also when I eat I just eat one big meal. Generally around 11:30 am on weekdays and at random periods of time on the weekend. Any efforts to change this have pretty much failed and eventually I just found it easier to work harder than to change anything related to that.

Hrm yeah anyways, if someone has something for me to try I'll probably give it a shot with the new year. If people need more information I can give it on this thread or through pm! Thanks :)

Comment

• cowsareforeating
              • Jan 2011

^ HIIT (tabata)

yes i know i dont explain but google will do more than me and probably give you the proper explanation

and try the paleo diet; won't limit how much you can eat. works real good for me.

try to work on ... i'd say the 6-8 rep range, 4 sets of only compound/big lifts

eg:
              deadlift
              squat
              ^ for your knee I suppose you could try to use a brace or just do bodyweight but do full range of motion and really really really slow @ more reps...

bench
              pullups
              rows

or if you're ambitious get on gymnastic rings

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

Of course I liked the devoa video!

Want to try out some iyengar/anasura classesy -- I took a 25 ft fall a year or so ago... and so for back alignment and improved overall health. I would like to be able to be good enough to teach classes someday but in no hurry.

I have a mat need linen drop crotch yoga wear loll. Would like to be able to do most inversions, spinal flexibilty making plough and shoulder stands hard. I can't do most seated stuff due to inflexibility. Love pigeon though want to side pigeon.

And I boulder mainly so probably a bunch of imbalances going on
                Sounds like you're on the right track then if you're looking to do some alignment. In terms of flexibility...it just takes a really long time of practice and stretching to get where you want to. Took me forever to learn a standing backbend...which I'm still improving -_-

As for the pants though...I know Song for the Mute has done some linen drop crotch for their SS12. You could probably ask klue whether or not they're suitable for yoga though XD
                Umasan is centered around the entire philosophy of yoga, and their stuff looks pretty suitable for physical yoga as well.

My friend boulders all the time and also does yoga quite frequently so I think it's a pretty solid mix
                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                  • Jan 2011

thanks man its a great resource. been toying with the idea of learning how to sow but idk if im disciplined enough.

good to know that i'm not greatly misinformed!

"we are creating UMASAN products without the use of wool, cashmere, leather and fur."
                  ^drat... probably the first three are my favorite materials

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

and try the paleo diet; won't limit how much you can eat. works real good for me.
                    The paleo diet, protein power diet, 6 weeks diet, south beach diet, etcetera, etcetera, all basically do the same thing.

The key is really to think about what you're eating, and try to focus on eating food, not crap. I know this, I don't do it (oh well). If one of them seems less difficult than the others for you, do it. If not, keep looking, or just start focusing on more vegetables, way more vegetables, and less fried. Gradual, permanent changes to diet are better than temporary massive overhauls.

You're not going to exercise enough to fix your body composition, diet is a necessary part of the equation.

For exercise, I've been mixing Crossfit (basically HIIT), olympic lifting, and distance cycling lately, and the results on my fitness are quite nice. But I'm still fat since I still survive on whiskey and chocolate. FWIW, I get in 8-12 hours/week of exercise, none of it low-intensity. So, yeah, diet must be considered.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• PPK
                      • Oct 2011

Before I smoke and drink a lot I've never been to the gym.
                      and had tuberculosis. It healed well. But do not quit smoking. Despite tried it.
                      The wind changed directions. But the soul never changes.

Comment

• endorphinz
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2009

I really font wanna write a long reply but just wanna say the AMOUNT of calories is far more important than the COMPOSITION of those calories...... and aerobic/cardio exercise is great for conditioning and your general well being,especially athletic performance. However it's effect on weight loss/body composition is NEGLIGIBLE.

also, where your body stores fat is genetically predetermined so 'love handles' may be unavoidable no matter what you do.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                          • Jan 2011

^for most people though its top down bottom up... aka lose weight face and feet first... then the last to go is dat belly fat.

Comment

• endorphinz
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009

GENETICS trumps all when it comes to body composition. I have known people who have never lifted a day in their lives and are shredded. conversely,I have known people who do major cardio and watch their diet and still have unlosable fat

genetics can be a really bad curse and,therefore,the sooner you accept your genetic limitations. the happier you'll be. your goal should be to maximize YOUR potential... trite but true

Comment

• SunshineSometime
                              • May 2008

Glad to see you guys bettering yourselves in all aspects

Not a big fan of running since my boxing days, I still force myself to do a 5km run 3x a week.

Current weight- 61kg

Personal bests:

Deadlift - 200kg
                              Squat- 150kg
                              Bench -105kg
                              Power clean - 100kg

Comment

• Johngd
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SunshineSometime View Post
                                Glad to see you guys bettering yourselves in all aspects

Not a big fan of running since my boxing days, I still force myself to do a 5km run 3x a week.

Current weight- 61kg

Personal bests:

Deadlift - 200kg
                                Squat- 150kg
                                Bench -105kg
                                Power clean - 100kg
                                Wtf. Thats some really good stats for your weight^^

Heres mine:
                                current weight - 71 kg

Deadlift - 140 kg
                                Squat - 100 kg
                                Bench - 90 kg

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎