X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBSLM
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by liberty_of_style View Post
    Does anybody tried L carnitine? I want to loose some weight. I know it works only with aerobic exercises. And transform fat into energy. Share your experience. What results have you achieved using it?
    useless as a supplement in healthy people.
    WTB
    desperately looking for this ANN D blazer in small or xsmall
    RICK OWENS og dunks size 42 | short-tongued geobaskets in 42 | sweats in small | basic tops in small/medium
    STEPHAN SCHNEIDER aw11 loop cardigan | grey | size IV or V

Comment

• Macro
      • Apr 2008

westonaprice.org

getcha world rocked.
      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• viv1984viv
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Jin View Post
        I rode a MTB for six years, rather DH and dropping-FR in full mean of terms. But It was more than five years ago, time when circumstances have forced me to drop off whole thing.

this year I discover a really new world for me: running. it's amazing, how the body enjoys long loads, lungs working at full capacity. I'll plan to ride FR again, maybe less agressive, cos some old injuries, but anyway.

Someone else ride big bikes here, pals? how it goes in Whistler this year?
        I ride big bikes.... mostly UK trail centres, so short downhills.

I currently ride a lapierre froggy - great bike.

I'm in a major fitness kick right now, I decided to quit smoking and drinking and up my gym sessions. Upper body and core is very important for any type of MTBing but especially dh.

Getting to the point where I need a recovery drink because the aches are carrying through into the next session (I alternate target areas).

Jin - any gym work you felt especially helped your riding?

EDIT - ALso - anyone rate compression gear?
        Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
          any gym work you felt especially helped your riding?
          nah.. all my riding career I was rude skinny and ate uberdiet that contains redbull, coffee, alcohol and cigs. donno how my body went through these loads.

Comment

• Emel
            • Oct 2010

This should be higher up.

Put this very simple programme together, and it's been the most satisfying thing i've followed for a whole. It's only 2 times a week since i'm in the army and have to go through their cardio training 3 times a week.

Day 1:
            Squat (5/3/1)
            Press (5/3/1)

Powercleans
            Pullups

Loaded carry

Day 2:

Deadlift (5/3/1)
            Bench (5/3/1)

Weighted roman chair situps
            Pendlay rows

Loaded carry.

After a month or two i'm probably going to switch up the exercises a bit for variation.

Backsquat to front or bulgarian split, conventional deads to summo, bench, rows and Press to dumbbell variations, pullups to chinups and PC to powersnatch.
            On that note, does anybody have any good alternatives to bench and Press? Dips? Lying Triceps extensions?
            It's the suede/denim secret police; they've come to your house for your long haired niece

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

For the squatting, try mixing it up doing

80%,83%,85%x3x10 (10 sets of 3 reps) on consecutive weeks. I alternate between the Wedler 5/3/1 and the %x3x10 in 8 week blocks (3 weeks of increasing weight, deload, 3 more of increasing weight, test).

It's fun to have change, it's not too fun to do %x3x10 (<2 minutes rest in between). I have only done this with backsquats. For front squats I just do %x3x5.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• t-bone
                • Dec 2009

Hah, doing a VERY similar 2-day 5/3/1 split for 9 weeks now, combined with 2 CrossFit WODs and some running every week. Just signed up for an actual CrossFit Box (South Brooklyn) and might quit the Y and do their strength intensive program come July. I am definitely fitter than I've ever been after a few months of paleo eating and the Lifting/CrossFit combo, I've drunk the Kool Aid, as they say.

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Yeah, I'm doing 4-6 days a week of crossfit WODs (with doubles usually on 2 days), so around 6-8 crossfit WODs/week, along with olympic lifting 2 days a week, and power lifting 2-3 days per week. I also bike commute, and do distance rides to keep the cardio/distance fitness, as I found crossfit alone doesn't build endurance, despite their claims. I've also (VERY GRUDGINGLY) drunk the low/no carb koolaid, though they can take my wine and whiskey when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. Switching to that type of diet has shown substantial results, but I'm still not a fan.

It's no better, nor any worse, than other good High Intensity Interval Training/Circuit training combined with strength that I've done, but you tend to get more community, and more competition, which is good.

Be warned, if you keep it up, you will have trouble fitting slim armed, narrow shouldered, or slim chested tops, and super skinny pants won't get over your calves, much less your thighs. Over the last 18 months, I've lost ~5" in my belly, 1" in my hips, gained 2" in my shoulders, 2" on my upper arms, and stayed the same through my chest. It's actually harder to find clothes I like that fit now. However, the ones I do find look better.

EDIT: I'm not a big fan of crossfit strength programs. If you want to lift for strength, find a lifting gym. They're better at it.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• t-bone
                    • Dec 2009

Actually the strength program at CFSB is 100% strength focused. They don't even like you to WOD for the duration.

Also I'm already well versed with the "fit problems" in the shoulder area, which is fine because everything I've kept fits great and I'm not really buying much new stuff lately! Although I accidentally dropped 5 pounds with my first month of paleo (try to stay a little heavier than I am now), I maintained my linear strength gain momentum, so I'm going to stick with it as long as I don't see any ill effects. And as crazy as it sounds I think it cured my seasonal allergies.

And DAMN that's a lot of volume.

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

What are your goals? are they sports performance related?
                      as you get older you realize that the obsession with gaining strength is stupid and can lead to injury.
                      I was squatting 350 x 10 as recently as last year. @ 55 yrs old & 145 lbs. it was just plain dumb. I had no valid reason to move that kind of weight. the constant desire to progress is addicting but must be tempered by common sense.
                      My pushup addiction ruined both shoulders and ultimately led to my " retirement" from all lifting and athletic participation.
                      High intensity and volume are great but ya need to keep the big picture in mind. What are your goals? training for something specific is one thing but If your goals involve a long term commitment to fitness and athletics, you probably will be better served by the "less is more" theory. believe me, stuff catches up to your body eventually and it really SUCKS when it does.

yes I'm bitter

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                        What are your goals? are they sports performance related?
                        Skiing. Fitness. Winning. Mostly skiing though. It takes some serious legs to stick big drops.

Comment

• endorphinz
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2009

that's cool but just remember that 1 mis step in the gym can lead to your never putting on skis again. pushing hard is great but there really is such a thing as "too hard". you won't know you pushed too hard 'till is too late. I never ever thought that I'd be done in my fifties.... but I am..... and it sucks.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Haha:

1 torn knee ligament
                            1 torn knee cartilage
                            1 torn hip labrum
                            8 dislocated vertebrae
                            1 dead shoulder ligament
                            1 shattered arch
                            4 missing ligaments in my left foot
                            lots that I forgot. I'm a wreck, and 20+ years your junior.
                            ----------
                            4 surgeries, with a fifth coming up.

The gym can't be nearly as bad for me as sports . The strength from going too hard in the gym has kept me from adding to my injuries for the last few years.

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

what you may not realize is that the damage the gym does is cumulative. I was never aware that I was injured or that I was on the verge of injury. I did nothing out of the ordinary to cause anything. I basically woke up one morning and I was finished. I fought thru it for a few years, adapting and limiting my routines. 1 year ago I waved the white flag.
                              I've torn/broke stuff while competing but I knew it immediately. Continuing to push in the gym, because I had no symptoms. was my downfall.

now I'm happy if I can put on a jacket and close my car door. I'm grateful for ez pass. stickin my hand out to pay a toll was the ultimate pain, and embarrassment.

Comment

• theetruscan
                                • Jan 2008

Thanks for the heads up. I keep pretty close track of my body though. I know way more healthy old exercisers and weightlifters than health old sedentary people though.

I am sorry you got injured.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎