Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Damn, that's strong! At quite a light weight too. I also haven't done a set of 10 anything outside of conditioning work in ... I dunno, forever? Out of curiosity, were those low bar or high bar squats?

The caloric requirement is probably a combination of size (I'm 1.5x your mass, roughly), nature of exercise, and me trying to keep on a bit of fat for now. I think the exercises I do, with lots of high-weight explosive movements, and a maximal possible intensity conditioning workout each day I train (7-15 minutes).

Also, the caloric difference may well come from a difference in composition of nutrients. Calories are a pretty shit tool. I mean, "how much heat does this generate when we set it on fire" is a rather odd way to establish your body's utilization of food. Given that different macronutrients are harder to process (carbs easiest, when simple) and that cooking fundamentally changes the bioavailability of nutrients in food, among numerous other complicating factors, it's amazing we have any luck counting calories. It's like building an airplane with twigs and manure, and yet somehow it almost sorta kinda works sometimes.

I don't hate cables, I just have no use for them. I'm doing mostly sets of 1-5, with mostly compound movements, no hypertrophy training whatsoever (I'm big enough), and no sets of 10+. Also, I'm training olympic lifting & KB conditioning. There's no isolation work in my regimen at all. If there were, I'd use the appropriate tools, including cable machines.

Semi-related: Why not re-introduce training? You seemed to enjoy it, and it's not like you can't do serious work without involving your bad shoulder. Whether you started safety bar squatting, or just do some sled-drag sprints. There's a ton of work you can do without ever loading up your damaged shoulder.

Also: I deleted the long, irrelevant posts from QoL. So, I had to add a long, boring one here.
    Last edited by theetruscan; 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
      • Jan 2011

^ im very happy hearing educated talk about exercise ^^

quick q though, any supplements (and no, chondroitin and glucosamine arent gonna cut it) that really improve ligament/tendon recovery?

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

high bar... should add that @ 375 I cheated a bit and didn't go ass to grass. I'd go up to 405 for partials and could easily rep out 25 @315.... talk about vo2 max

but like I said my bench was never as strong.

I got into lifting very late in life.i played sports practically from infancy but never really used weights. I never ran for distance. I hate it. I could chase down any ball on a football or baseball field or tennis court and be the first to a loose pick but i can't run distance. I live a few blocks from one of the most famous cross country courses in the us and I've never run it. I guess I need a carrot dangling in front if my face to run. I did, however, sometimes go to a track and run a few 400s from time to time and sprints.

My thing was pushups..... and then more pushups.... thousands a day... weighted (50lb backpack) push-ups... different hand positions,push-up stands....... did I mention I now got no shoulders?

when I started to lift I did so more for aesthetics than for strength or athletic performs so I was into hypertrophy (never wanted to get huge tho) and striations... hence the reps ,cables. & isolations. my prob was always genetics.... wasn't blessed with the best and I got easily frustrated 'till I learned to accept it and stopped comparing myself to genetically blessed kids who were 1/2 my age.

I need to correct you. I didn't enjoy training I l LOVED it... everything about it. the work, discipline, progress... all if it.

getting back into it? you sound just like my friends. my shoulders are more than bad. just about EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING i do these daze makes me wince. it's hard to explain. The shoulder joint is involved in just about every upper body movement. Turning a page in a magazine can sometimes make me see stars... depends on the angle of rotation. I've gone into the gym a few times in the last 1 1/2 years only to walk out a few minutes later. I'm sure ill try again. it sucks but sometimes I think it's better to accept facts & move on instead of dwelling on the past and what can't be anymore.

training was something I could always fall back on... not a function of $$$ or anything really... just health...

hope you never get to where I am now... yeah, I'm bitter & quite envious.but I live vicariously so please keep posting

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Wow, that's very strong. Yeah, I only do HBBS, and only A2G reps. I'm working on olympic lifting mostly, so any cheating there doesn't help me. I'm getting stronger, but still just barely learning, snatching ~75kg, c&j ~95. But, squatting, I've barely broken 300 lbs for a single. And, I need to work on my pushups. I'm thrilled if I can pull off 20-30 at a time. I don't run distance. I trashed the labrum in my hip a few years back. No distance running ever again, not that I miss it. I think I should worry about aesthetics more, but I just don't give a shit, I want to be stronger, faster, more agile, etc.

I mean, if you loved training, and it gave you some mental satisfaction, you can put together decent programs that completely avoid your shoulders. And, in addition to making you feel good, you'll still be able to wear Julius (stupid fucking narrow shouldered bullshit).

I mean, 4x400 sprints, sled drags, tabata squats, high box jumps... there are all kind of movements that completely avoid the shoulders. I'm surprised it's so bad that you can't back squat even though, so I clearly don't understand the injury at all.

What did you do to your shoulder? Is it something surgically repairable, fixable with enough PT, or are bits just gone now?
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

just a light jog bothers the shoulders... the bouncing up and down jars the joints. sometimes I walk several miles in manhattan and i wake up in pain the next day. I can't figure out why & then realize it's the walking. even tho there's no direct shoulder involvement, they are affected
            btw: cant even spread my arms far enough apart to place the bar on my back to squat.... getting the idea?

no injury...I have arthritis...I abused my shoulders. it's that simple..got no cartilage left...all bone on bone. I pitched baseball,played racquet sports and,was obsessed with push-ups. I had my left shoulder scoped twice.. both wasted attempts... my only solution is a total replacement in both shoulders. I doubt I'll ever do that. I'll just live with the pain...but, who knows maybe ill be forced to give in one day..... I got a few hundred oxycodone sitting in my drawer. I take them occasionally but I need to be careful cuz I enjoy them too.

*edit* it's funny learning how everyone's skill set is different

Comment

• MoFiya
              • Sep 2007

If I may chime in, I am sure you consulted various doctors and therapists regarding this: for us blessed and - yet - uninjured, are there anything you would recommend us to stay stafe? Besides not doing thousands of weighted push-ups everyday (:

I am currently suffering from ITBS so no running for me since November. Stretching and foam rolling it everyday. Struggeling to get back into it and run just before the pain starts (round about 5km at the moment). Sucks.
              So I am a lot in the gym at the moment as well. Hate what it does with my body (hi@squat ass) but it's fun and I just love doing sports. Looking forward to spring when I can go out and bike more.
              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• endorphinz
                Banned
                • Jun 2009

all I can say ha use common sense. remember that 'shit happens' .. I mean world class, elite athletes get injured everyday. it's kinda the luck of the draw... but remember that the stuff you do has a cumulative effect. so tho you feel fine today, ya never know bout tomorrow... like I said use common sense and hope for the best...BUT DON'T STOP

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

The following is boring as anything, be warned
                  -------------------

An elite-level athlete is pushing his or her body to the limits of its potential. We are not, we are training, in a structured manner, to improve. We should be much less likely to get injured than a competitive athlete.

There's quite a lot you can do to limit your risk of injury.

First: be very aware of how you move. You can do a push-up with tensIon through your body, your hands in position, your fingers torqued slightly out, your elbows near your body, and minimal stress on your joints, or you can do a push-up with your body limp, your back arched, your elbows sticking out, a huge load in your shoulders, and so forth. This goes for all movements you do to exercise. For a do not do example, watch the end of this shitshow of pure horror: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k0NTB2DTGs

Learn how to move well, make sure you always move well when exercising, and if pushing yourself to the point you are going to have form break downs, you will be far less likely to hurt yourself than if you don't start with a good base of competent movement.

Warm up: get your joints and muscles warm, then do a good, and appropriate collection of dynamic stretches.

Cool down: do static stretches when you are done.

Listen to your body: if something hurts, not if something is hard, stop. Dnt break yourself trying to get better. If you've a pulled muscle, let it get better. If you're about to pull something, lay off.

Sleep! No, really. Sleep! You're just going to fuck yourself up trying to train without adequate rest.

Comment

• Jan 2011

Endorphinz, that is awful to read about your shoulders. I've been put out of commission twice in the last year, once due to over-training and then just last week through tearing my soleus muscle. It's crushing for me just not being unable to exercise for a month, much less face not being able to work out at all. I hope you can figure out a way to improve your situation.

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                      The following is boring as anything, be warned
                      -------------------

An elite-level athlete is pushing his or her body to the limits of its potential. We are not, we are training, in a structured manner, to improve. We should be much less likely to get injured than a competitive

BULLSHIT
                      in our own little worlds we are all elite athletes and are always pushing our bodies to the limits of our potential... well I was anyway

listen, as you get older you realize that shit just happens. you can prepare and plan to avoid shit but somehow some shit always finds a place to to attach itself to your pristine body. the trick is to minimize the surface area that the shit has to adhere to... easier said than done

not just talkin bout training/exercise/sports... but you knew that

hey guys please remember the cumulative thing I talked about

ya know when I first start to post on these forums(not just sz) I try to forget my age and want to be viewed as just anotha asshole. however, as time passes and i get involved in discussion it becomes apparent that I can't discount my age. I really have seen & done shit that you guys haven't yet. it's not that I'm privileged, it's just that I'm old.... and I realize, if you're anything like me, all you hear now is blah blah blah.

I get it. I get it all. If I didn't do you really think I would continue to post here... in waywt no less? it's way too late for approval or validation. I'm here and I post cuz I honestly dig this stuff and most people my age that I have rl contact with just can't relate... not talking so much bout the "your body" topics but to the stuff discussed here in general

anyway, you hear people say if I knew then what I know now I'd done things differently.... that's BULLSHIT... people always know,they just don't care.. mortality is something that creeps up on you slowly.... but, when it does appear in your consciousness ...WOW... and yes, it does change your perspective....on EVERYTHING

hows that for a goth post

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

^forgive me if i'm stating the obvious and oversimplifying, but might you not have avoided your present condition had you not insisted on thousands of pushups per day? i'm no exercise expert, but it sounds like abusive over-training is the culprit here, more so than the "slow creep of mortality."
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• endorphinz
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2009

^
                          hmmmm, guess you missed the whole point of my post.or maybe i never succeeded in making it, but to answer your question......maybe?

was gonna leave my response like that but.....

when you do stuff for years (20+) and have nuthin but positive effects/results you accept things as being "good". it's difficult to understand and anticipate that things could change in a blink of an eye and that there might be long term consequences. i had no reason to believe that there would be. i felt great. i looked great and i was great. then, one day things changed..the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" was the way the ny yankees team dr put it.

i never claimed the "slow creep of mortality" was the culprit. rather, that it was an effect. it most certainly not a cause. i thought that was my point...who knows, maybe i'm senile. ...

Comment

• endorphinz
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009

^
                            hmmmm, guess you missed the whole point of my post.or maybe i never succeeded in making it, but to answer your question......maybe?

was gonna leave my response like that but.....

when you do stuff for years (20+) and have nuthin but positive effects/results you accept things as being "good". it's difficult to understand and anticipate that things could change in a blink of an eye and that there might be long term consequences. i had no reason to believe that there would be. i felt great. i looked great and i was great. then, one day things changed..the proverbial "straw that broke the csmel's back" was the way the ny yankees team dr put it.

i never claimed the "slow creep of mortality" was the culprit. rather, that it was an effect. it most certainly not a cause. i thought that was my point...who knows, maybe i'm senile. ...

guess i should be clear that my shoulder problem surfaced close to 20 years ago. that's when i had my first operation, accupunture, therapy etc.. i dealt with the pain and trained and played sports up till 1 1/2 years ago. i then realized i couldn't do it any longer and waived the white flag

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                              BULLSHIT
                              in our own little worlds we are all elite athletes and are always pushing our bodies to the limits of our potential... well I was anyway

listen, as you get older you realize that shit just happens. you can prepare and plan to avoid shit but somehow some shit always finds a place to to attach itself to your pristine body. the trick is to minimize the surface area that the shit has to adhere to... easier said than done
                              First, no we aren't. I have trained with some competitive athletes, and a competition schedule, and need to perform on it, gives them far less flexibility. When someone training for performance and fun (like me) starts to feel rough or gets mildly injured, we have the flexibility and time to get better, or ease off. We mostly do, because it makes us feel better, and that's our goal. When a competitor (look at athletes) gets injured, they're back out there WAY before one of us would be, and when they're in rough shape, they fight through it. I don't do that, and I don't think people in my situation should. It's just a way to get fucked up.

Of course shit happens. I will never run distance again and my hip always hurts because a ski binding failed on me. But, I have the discipline, and the freedom to strive to make sure my training reduces the likelihood of injury and doesn't contribute to any health issues.

Originally posted by laika View Post
                              ^forgive me if i'm stating the obvious and oversimplifying, but might you not have avoided your present condition had you not insisted on thousands of pushups per day? i'm no exercise expert, but it sounds like abusive over-training is the culprit here, more so than the "slow creep of mortality."
                              It does sound like overtraining, but I don't think that's really the issue. There's a lot you can do to minimize your risk of injury and use exercise to make you better. Can shit happen? Of course. Will it? Of course. But you can do a lot to make sure you minimize rather than exaggerate it.

Or you can do like me and train rigorously in order to jump off cliffs until something goes wrong.

Comment

• endorphinz
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2009

you need to realize that my situation wasn't gradual. well it was but my experiencing it wasn't.one day I was doing everything I wanted to and then in a blink of an eye everything changed. I felt something, I immediately stopped and went home. That nite lying in bed I just knew things were never gonna be the same...and they weren't I rested for a couple of months and then had my first operation and went thru pt... never really felt much better so I decided to ignore the pain and just went back doing as much as I could do.... this was more or less the status quo for over 15 years... then 1 day I felt something again.... I knew I was done. it's not a case that I suddenly tore or broke anything.... it was just a case of degeneration that reached an absolute limit... the proverbial straw

I guarantee that no competitive/ elite athlete ever put up with more pure pain than I did. my resolve to keep at it was relentless. I was as motivated as a human could possibly be.... BUT... this was all AFTER all the damage was done. I never knew there was any damage until it was too late,until I experienced pain and then it didn't matter.

of course if I had pain before the irreparable damage was done i would have played my hand differently. sadly that wasn't the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎