X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuriz
    • Nov 2010

^

I have read about HIIT and both seen and heard of very positive results (not just the classic "I got ripped in four weeks"). I've never had to lose weight myself and it doesn't really state what the reason for this weight loss is - is it to be kept or just for that special occasion where you want to look good? My point being that there are those "live off of protein water and soup for a few weeks and lose your bodyweight and lots of body water". The downside to that, or at least I have read and heard never really tried it myself, should be that you feel hungry most of the time and the second you begin eating again you would most likely put on most of the weight again. But in your case it seems like it could be an option if you 'just' need a quick weight loss and doesn't have to really keep it it could be an option.

Comment

• chandler
      • Jan 2011

I personally like zig zag diets especially if you're coupling w training. More calories on the training days

Since you're thinking of a relatively short time period you may want to consider a keto diet

I have found both to be effective depending on your starting point

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
        ok everybody. this is serious business. i need to drop about 15lbs in 2 months. how do i do it? i have never been on a "diet" or tried to lose weight.

i was thinking of trying that intermittent fasting with the bulletproof coffee thing + running. but i am relatively clueless on these matters. can i get some suggestions please???
        This can work, and work well, but only if your digestive tract can take it. "bulletproof" intermittent fasting is a combination of super high fat intake in the morning, coupled with a ketogenic diet the rest of the day. You shed pounds, no doubt. A high-fat, moderate protein diet with minimal carbs will keep you feeling full. But, you are likely to find the adjustment period more than somewhat unpleasant.*

Alternatively, a low carb "paleo**" diet can work fairly well, and is less rough on the system than "bulletproof" intermittent fasting. Consider taking one of those paleo challenges. Those usually work fairly well (I think most of the benefit is from paying attention to everything you eat).

Also, if you're seriously trying to maximize weight loss, don't drink more than 1-2 drinks a week, don't cheat more than 1 meal/week, and drink a gallon of water a day. Water and coffee ONLY.

If you run, do HIIT/sprints, don't go jogging for 3-6 miles. Do anywhere between 4x4 minute all out sprints and 10x1 minute all out sprints, with 1:1 rest (where you stroll). Adding in a bit of strength training to that will improve your results substantially. Don't add high-rep hypertrophy though. Really, HIIT + weights is going to help you end up building muscle without building mass, so you will end up shedding inches more than weight from this, but coupled with good diet, you should get both.

Be warned, all this advice is coming from a fat fuck. (~14% BF).

* Many people find the change to a high-fat diet causes some, err, gastrointestinal loosening for a few days at least. I'm sure that helps the weight loss, but it's rather nasty.

** pretty sure there's nothing paleolithic about the paleo diet, but fuck it.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• chandler
          • Jan 2011

Haha. 14% is not a fat fuck! Lots of good advice though

FWIW I tend to lean out in 2 phases. The first uses a zig zag w relatively low carbs, e.g., 40 (protein) 35 (fat) 25 ( carbs) and when that starts to slow down I do keto w less than 10% carbs (all nutritionally dense veg) and the rest protein and fat. My own experience is keto is tough at the beginning and end ( when bf is getting real low)

Also check out myfitnesspal. Super easy to use for calories tracking. Use an online calculator to figure out maintenance calories and reduce by 500. That will lose a pound per week (a little more on low carb diets as you dry out some). If you zig zag the average should be about 500 per day. You can reduce a little more than 500 but I found too much more than that to be ineffective. Body metabolism slows down as does your energy and enthusiasm for exercise

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by eat me View Post

. . . we'll definitely be looking at your pics in lingerie section come September .
            I'm sure his wife will be looking forward to that.
            sain't

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by chandler View Post
              Haha. 14% is not a fat fuck! Lots of good advice though
              I'm just grumpy that I'm going to be 95-96 kilos on Saturday, instead of 93.9999999. Whoops.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• eat me
                • May 2009

Originally posted by kuriz View Post
                ^

I have read about HIIT and both seen and heard of very positive results (not just the classic "I got ripped in four weeks"). I've never had to lose weight myself and it doesn't really state what the reason for this weight loss is - is it to be kept or just for that special occasion where you want to look good? My point being that there are those "live off of protein water and soup for a few weeks and lose your bodyweight and lots of body water". The downside to that, or at least I have read and heard never really tried it myself, should be that you feel hungry most of the time and the second you begin eating again you would most likely put on most of the weight again. But in your case it seems like it could be an option if you 'just' need a quick weight loss and doesn't have to really keep it it could be an option.
                Yeah, you won't really get ripped . Well, my goal was to shift the fat away and start building healthy weight. After sustaining an injury some years ago my lack of exercise and love for alcohol and fried foods morphed me into a skinny-fat type, and after seeing one particularly sad picture of myself walking in the park all out of shape I thought - that's it, I'm not going to let myself go like that in my fucking 20s. And so it began :).

About the diet, at that time I was on three meals a day - good breakfast, meal replacement shake for lunch and good dinner. Optional healthy snacks in-between (beef jerky, fruit). Didn't feel hungry, to be honest.

Comment

• eat me
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                  I'm sure his wife will be looking forward to that.
                  damn, and here I am, slaving away with the advice when... it's a boy!

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

hey everybody thanks for all the great feedback. and yes, sorry to disappoint, but i am a man. however, that is not to say that i can't rock a corset with the best of them.

so here's what...i have an event to attend in august and can't be looking like a scrub. i'm not wildly out of shape so if i lost 15 lbs it would be a very noticeable difference, so 10 is closer to a reasonable mark. either way i just need to get in better shape.

this is what i think i can actually commit to and follow thru on:

i went here to determine the appropriate caloric intake for my goals:

calorie count

then i went here to plan my meals:

eat this much

this is a good site. you enter in your desired calories for the day, the number of meals you can eat, the amount of time available to prepare them, edit out unwanted ingredients, and then select the "type" of diet you feel comfortable with - keto, paleo, zone, etc., and then it generates daily meal plans for you, with recipes, which you can print and prepare in advance. pretty sweet.

then i will do some sprint based interval training 3-4 times a week.

not sure this will lose me 10 lbs in less than 2 months though. for that i may need something more serious like the intermittent fasting. just worry that will impact my ability to work, etc...
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• interest1
                      • Nov 2008

And THEN you will post your pics in the lingerie thread.
                      sain't

Comment

• cjbreed
                        • Feb 2009

yes i am a man who keeps him promises. except when i am lying.
                        Last edited by cjbreed; 06-21-2013, 01:59 PM. Reason: edited for marriage

Comment

• interest1
                          • Nov 2008

I'm gonna let you have all the limelight on that one.
                          sain't

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                            calorie count

then i went here to plan my meals:

eat this much
                            I would think more about what you eat than how much.

Comment

• cjbreed
                              • Feb 2009

good point. did u spend any time on the eatthismuch website? seems pretty handy to me. maybe not as much variety as there could be but its a start.

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

i've never taken these before, but what about trying rasberry ketones, green coffee bean extract, garcinia gambosia for appetite suppressants?

i had to yt HIIT, and seems too intensive for such a short amount of time.

i've been conditioning with a trainer for almost 3 months and after every session, i still cry like a bitch, on the floor, squirming. and it's not even considered HIIT training. so if you don't have someone barking at you for 2 months, it's hard to do it on your own, imo..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎