Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zen dog
    • Jan 2014

I don't think I have much to add to the workout issue- reps, etc. after a quick mention of letting each muscle group recover for a day before addressing again. If you are really hitting the gym hard, taking a week off allows for more healing.

I'm finally including an equally important part of the strenuous workout equation that I never knew for years. That is the post work out recovery drink. You've torn your body down, now you need to give it something to use to build back up within 20 minutes of finishing.

I'm happy with this recipe I've tweaked from various sources (all measurements approx.):

1 c water, 1 c unsweetened almond milk

5 leaves fresh kale with center rib removed about 1/2 way up or froz. equivalent (I just read that raw kale has something in it that can alter thyroid func., will have to start microwaving to break it down)

protein powder- I use about 2 tablespoons- too much protein stresses the kidneys

heaping tablespoon pure cocoa powder

large handful froz. blueberries

(in a pinch, chocolate milk can replace the above concoction)

blended in a powerful blender- play with the mix- you can mask the kale taste with the cocoa and fruit

I need something solid with all this so I have a rice cake with almond butter and jelly on it to satisfy my craving for fat and sugar

also, if you are working hard for more that an hour, you need something in the middle your body can access immediately and not some sports drink- your on your own here, I've pulled back but spent enough years working against myself without knowing something was required

I've been impressed with the mag, Men's Journal- I always learn at least one thing about health or nutrition- well worth the $1 or so a month for a subscription. (Spoiler alert: the Sept. issue previews the Rick Owens snow mobile)

Comment

• apathy!
      • Jan 2014

that sounds pretty delicious and all but it really isn't neccessary.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
        I don't think I have much to add to the workout issue- reps, etc. after a quick mention of letting each muscle group recover for a day before addressing again. If you are really hitting the gym hard, taking a week off allows for more healing.
        recovery time depends on many things including how heavy you train as well as the intensity, duration and frequency your body is used to. However, one day is rarely enough to recover if we are talking about weight training. Taking a week off is more accurate, but usually not necessary. the whole recovery process in the muscle can take even more than a week, but a good rule of thumb is to give at least 48 hours of rest.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zen dog
          • Jan 2014

^I'll make a small concession that you can get by without it after a heavy workout. The human body can be quite resilient- just look at major trainers getting great results with conflicting approaches to weight, reps, etc. (Also bodies healing inspite of doctors' ineptitude.)

There are alot of approaches to exercise and diet now, play around but listen to your body, not others' stories.

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

zen dog, forget about cutting stems off kale and just use spinach. i used to par-boil kale and throw out the grisly stems, but i was left with nothing. kale gives me gas anyway so i don't eat it anymore.

with only 2 cups of liquid, your post-workout portions are kinda small. i usually drink 3-4 times that if i am making a post-workout drink. pretty much the entire blender pitcher.

Comment

• zen dog
              • Jan 2014

I use kale but I could see spinach as something to alternate with- variety good.

You are correct about volume- I end up drinking a full blender- partially just to keep the mixture liquid. What goes in must come out- kinda makes for some planning the next few hours. Never thought I'd be compromised that way post work-out.

Comment

• Senpai
                • Apr 2014

While I can't chime in on heavy lifting and recovery drinks as that's not something I partake in, I can contribute to my smoothie of choice. I do a lot of post fasted cardio and post fasted hot yoga typically followed by:

2 tbs Vitamineral Green
                1/2 frozen banana
                3 dates
                2 cups almond milk ice cubes (I make my almond milk in large batches and normally freeze the leftover in ice cubes)
                1/2 cup walnuts
                1/4 cup raw cocoa nibs

Blend it up!
                *in order of how you should layer it for best blend ability as I don't add liquid, from bottom of blender up:
                Walnuts
                Cocoa Nibs
                Dates
                Vitamineral Green
                Banana
                Almond Cubes

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Protein is good in a protein shake. Tend to do 30 grams whey protein, 4-5 grams BCAAs (also protein). 4 Tablespoons is pretty scant, unless you're doing some seriously minimal exercise. Yes, your body has to work to consume protein. No, this isn't the apocalypse.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• chandler
                    • Jan 2011

I tend to focus on whole foods but one protein drink that is delicious (a treat really) is as follows

Handful of ice
                    1/2 cup cottage cheese (yes sounds disgusting but gives perfect consistency)
                    1/2 cup milk
                    Scoop of powder (I use blends)
                    Then Depending on mood or calorie goals 1/2 banana or peanut butter
                    Blend add a little water if needed

More delicious than any milkshake IMO

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

i think i'm getting old or over-doing it.

both my rotator cuffs have some type of discomfort when i life my arms above my head. fell on my wrists skateboarding a month ago and while x-rays were negative, had to get mri's to see if there was any ligament damage. right now i can't put my body weight on wrists. my knees feel funny and i don't even run that much. my hands feel like they have arthritis everyday i wake up in the morning.

Comment

• zen dog
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                        recovery time depends on many things including how heavy you train as well as the intensity, duration and frequency your body is used to. However, one day is rarely enough to recover if we are talking about weight training. Taking a week off is more accurate, but usually not necessary. the whole recovery process in the muscle can take even more than a week, but a good rule of thumb is to give at least 48 hours of rest.
                        I agree and miswrote- I meant to say a day off before working the same muscle groups.

I love this thread- its like gym talk but in better clothing.

Comment

• apathy!
                          • Jan 2014

his point was that 1 day is not enough for meaningful recovery. You could say that 1 minute is enough for muscle recovery and that is true to some extent.

To test this out, see how many chinups you can do after having done no pulling for a week. Then see how many you can do having done rows etc the day before. The difference will be huge.

Comment

• zen dog
                            • Jan 2014

Rowing and chinups address enough of the same muscle groups that a day inbetween should be used. A better test would be to do chinups or a similar muscle group exercise once a week for two months and compare it to working the group every other day for seven weeks and rest for a week and see where you are. It depends on how hard you work to tear your muscles down. Think manual labor- demanding tasks that require the body be ready the next day and weekend (weakened) warriors.

I think we all have ideas about what a workout means and the lack of common ground is a least part of the source of disagreement.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

I actually miswrote too, I meant to say that two days of rest is a good rule of thumb, which of course means 72 hours, not 48... If the routine isn't particularly heavy I suppose you could manage with a day in between, but personally I would train the same muscle group no more than twice a week which leaves 2-3 days in between, at least if we are talking about typical strenght / weight training. any type of cardio, aerobic, endurance etc training is a different matter.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• pilgrim
                                • Apr 2014

I'm only 25. This changed my perspective.. I wish I could share it with everyone

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎