Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

I concur, and would add that some commentary or developpement would be more than welcome. I'm always interested in discovering new things...

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

Some of the stuff posted on this subforum anyway I'd literally have no idea where to begin tracking a tangible copy of the stuff...the only case I've had any luck is when I remembered AKA NYC bigging up Dennis Cooper a while back, I came across 1 or 2 books out of the 5 part series in a London bookshop but refrained from buying as I wanted to kop the whole thing at once to read since they were all short novels.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• viv1984viv
        • Feb 2008

....up on some 70s tip and reading David Peace's '1974' - totally gripping...
        Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

Stuff I'm reading / Read on my week off:

Sandman (hardback collections I - IV so far) - Neil Gaiman
          Oblivion - David Foster Wallace
          Pattern Recognition - William Gibson
          Gravity's Rainbow - Pynchon
          Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce

Finished the Sandman comics that I checked out from the library quickly (reading them again) - such great work. I'd be interested to read some of Gaiman's fiction work. He seems to do well involved in 'projects' (I loved Coraline) since the work seems to bring out the best in visual people he works with so I'd be interested to see what it's like on its own.

Really enjoyed Oblivion - the first Wallace book I've read. I know we have Infinite Jest in the library so I'll probably pull that out once I get back to school.

Just starting on Pattern Recognition which was funny after Oblivion's last chapter with all the interns in Yohji and Gaultier.
          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Catfood
            • Oct 2008

Just Kids by Patti Smith showed up in the post a few days ago, been quite busy but looking forward to starting it tomorrow. Perfect timing as I have quite a long flight.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Just picked up Peter Biskind's bio on Warren Beatty, Star...as always with reading his stuff the pages just whizz by like the wind.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• francojean23
                • Sep 2008

reading International Building Code for my structures architectural exam

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ronin View Post
                  Started Pierre Michon's Vies minuscules and so far I find it excellent, I hadn't felt so enthusiastic for an author in a long time.
                  I prefered Les Abbés, but I guess it's a matter of taste. If you like Michon, you should try reading Sebald, he's a really great writer and usually appeals to the same kind of sensibilities

Comment

• Aleks
                    • Feb 2009

What is surrealism? Andre Breton

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2009

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                        • Nov 2007

^ so awesome! just read this last month. the last sentence of the tralala chapter is beyond epic. have you gotten to that point? also the entire strike chapter is fantastic. make sure to read the room and the demon as well. i think selby is now officially my favorite writer.
                        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2009

Finished 'Tralala' yesterday. Part way through 'Strike' now. This is looking like it might replace 'junky' as my favourite book.

Comment

• ronin
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2009

Thanks for the recommendation, Galia. I've finished Vies minuscules and although I enjoyed it a lot my enthusiasm lowered a bit during some passages. I planned to read Abbés afterwards, but I'll let it rest a bit first, too much of the same author in a row may be, well, too much. I may go for Sebald after this, do you have any favourite?

Comment

• viv1984viv
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Venus in Furs View Post
                              Finished 'Tralala' yesterday. Part way through 'Strike' now. This is looking like it might replace 'junky' as my favourite book.
                              Tralala is such a nihilistic, depressing and unforgiving story. So powerful. The Room is another one of his best- -give that a go if you haven't already - you wont be able to put it down but you may regret picking it up!

Im still reading 1974 - another novel full of hate and despair. Will soon be reading Rick Perlsteins 'Nixonland'.... then may have another 70's feast on my blog....
                              Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• jumpoff
                                • Jan 2008

I've read a couple of interesting articles about animal welfare and ethical eating the last couple of months, so decided to pick up Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Only read a couple of chapters but I'm liking it so far. As a non-vegetarian I think it's important to read up on the issue.

Recently finished The Road. I guess everything that is to be said about the book is already said in this thread. Excellent read, and I think I'll have to pick up Blood Meridian again now.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎