X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I haven't read Eating Animals, but from the reviews and interviews it sounded too sappy-tree-huggy to me. I think that the Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan provide a more balanced, less moralizing view.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jumpoff
      • Jan 2008

Incidentally, I picked up Omnivore's Dilemma as well. Was planning on reading it when I'm finished with Eating Animals.

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ronin View Post
        Thanks for the recommendation, Galia. I've finished Vies minuscules and although I enjoyed it a lot my enthusiasm lowered a bit during some passages. I planned to read Abbés afterwards, but I'll let it rest a bit first, too much of the same author in a row may be, well, too much. I may go for Sebald after this, do you have any favourite?
        no recommendations, you pretty uch can't go wrong with the guy

Comment

• Catfood
          • Oct 2008

Just started:

Comment

• Mail-Moth
            • Mar 2009

Just about to finish Hans Henny Jahnn's Les Cahiers de Carl Gustav Horn (don't know the original german title nor its english translation). Probably one of the most impressive books I ever opened, and I mean it. The book is huge - there's the voice of a man in it, that feels deep and speaks loud. I won't try to give a precise idea of what you can find in it : There's too much. Unconditional love, tenderness for the living flesh and the decaying one, music, beasts, ordinary lifes and darkness - darkness inside and outside the soul.

It is like seeing a dying beast, strong and magnificent, as if painted on a cavern's wall. It struggles against its fate, but its generosity, its strength and love are not enough to keep the world from sinking in obscurity. I'm certainly being a little obscure myself here, but really, I see it so : filled with a primitive and dreadful poetry.

Edit : Ronin , give a try to Michon's Le Roi du Bois. It won't take you much of your time. I loved it.
            I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
            I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
              • Sep 2009

I started reading The Omnivore's Dilemma but I didn't get very far...after a certain point I just started to feel like I didn't need to know all that...or maybe just that it was redundant, having studied all that stuff in college. It's all been said. I used to like to read about food but these days I much prefer just eating it. Same with fashion, I used to really enjoy reading about it but now all I want to do is touch things. I'm really realizing, more and more, that the joy of reading lies for me in great literature...time for a new book.
              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                I started reading The Omnivore's Dilemma but I didn't get very far...after a certain point I just started to feel like I didn't need to know all that...or maybe just that it was redundant, having studied all that stuff in college. It's all been said. I used to like to read about food but these days I much prefer just eating it. Same with fashion, I used to really enjoy reading about it but now all I want to do is touch things. I'm really realizing, more and more, that the joy of reading lies for me in great literature...time for a new book.
                Whoa, holy epiphany, batman! I never knew people read non-fiction for the joy of reading.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                  • Sep 2009

People in Berkeley do...you gotta keep this in mind Faust.
                  http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                    People in Berkeley do...you gotta keep this in mind Faust.
                    OMG!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

Finally got around to Bob Dylan Chronicles Vol. 1. I gotta confess, I think I enjoy the rhythm of Dylan's language better in this format than in his songs.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster. Even though the underlying premise of the book is pathetic, it's filled with interesting statistics and anecdotes. Makes Bertelli look like a little lamb compared to Arnault.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Mr Sammler's Planet by Saul Bellow. My encounter with Bellow was a real eye-opener - better late than never. I hope to be impressed like this again and again.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

^don't you love it when that happens? I felt the same way when I picked up Robert Walser for the first time last year.

On to this now, made my geeky little day when I saw it in the window of st. marks last week.

such an amazing photo
                            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

totally love it! never lose the sense of the marvelous!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Ordered some other things along with the Psychick Bible so just finished up LaVey's The Devil's Notebook and Apocalypse Culture with segued pretty well into Index by Peter Sotos. I'd like to find more from him but it seems like his most interesting work is really hard to come by / came out in pretty limited editions.

Oh and most through Atrocity Exhibition. My first Ballard! I always secretly put him off since he seemed like so much my sensibility that I didn't want to spoil it too early. I already bought Crash for when I finish.
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎