• Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: What are you reading?

Moby Dick</p>

And it is absolutely fantastic.[:O]</p>

[:D]</p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Moby Dick</p>

[/quote]</p>

I absolutely must read that.</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Moby Dick</P>

And it is absolutely fantastic.[:O]</P>

[:D]</P>

[/quote]</P>

I was given that book as a child and have tried two times to read it over the years but never managed to (an extremely rare occurence). It's the french translation though, which probably doesn't help....</P>
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• een
          • Sep 2006

Kobo Abe The Box Man

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]

Moby Dick</p>

[/quote]</p>

I was given that book as a child and have tried two times to read it over the years but never managed to (an extremely rare occurence). It's the french translation though, which probably doesn't help....</p>

[/quote]</p>

It's not a children's book. This is a mistake too many intellectually-minded adults do, giving books that can't be handled at a certain age. It can actually turn someone off. I tried to read Master and Margarita when I was 13, haha. I did not pick it back up until I was 22, I think.</p>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

I have this Book. *moby dick*.......... and i saw the movie
              </p>

I started reading it about two years ago and stopped.</p>

I have a whole ton of classic books (the post had this special about two years ago where they had coupons each week you could use to redeem classic books for about $4.99 ).......... also my Grandmother gave me a huge amount about 4yrs ago
              </p>

It ran for fifteen weeks...... I think i got about 11-12 of the books they offered.</p>

I will read more when i buy a house and can take my books out of storage boxes[:(]</p>

</p>

Right now i am reading "Discourse on Methods and Meditations" by Rene Descartes</p>

who along with Kant are my two non greek philosophers................</p>
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Seventh
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="een"]Kobo Abe The Box Man
                [/quote]</p>

</p>

cool, that is a strange book. what do you think of it? I read it a long time ago loving some parts of it and frustrated by the nihilism in other parts.</p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]

Moby Dick</p>

[/quote]</p>

I was given that book as a child and have tried two times to read it over the years but never managed to (an extremely rare occurence). It's the french translation though, which probably doesn't help....</p>

[/quote]</p>

It's not a children's book. This is a mistake too many intellectually-minded adults do, giving books that can't be handled at a certain age. It can actually turn someone off. I tried to read Master and Margarita when I was 13, haha. I did not pick it back up until I was 22, I think.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Could be the case, although last time I tried I was about 25.....maybe I need to wait until I have a white chest hair, or chest hairs for that matter...</p>
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

lol, Fuuma....I suspect it's a book that doesn't translate well, as much of the humor and charm is in the language of the whale men. I think it also helps if you have an interest in natural history (which I do) because a large portion of the book is taken up with this. </p>

Faust, you should absolutely read it....it's a great summer book, actually. Just make sure you get a sturdy copy--my paperback is already falling apart. </p>

The chapter on "The Whiteness of the Whale," among others, is just brilliant. </p>
                    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• een
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Seventh"]

[quote user="een"]Kobo Abe The Box Man
                      [/quote]</p>

</p>

cool, that is a strange book. what do you think of it? I read it a long time ago loving some parts of it and frustrated by the nihilism in other parts.</p>

[/quote]</p>

i find the language very attractive, and the human-ness amidst the absurdity is pretty compelling... yeah, and frustrating too</p>

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                        • Apr 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]

Moby Dick</p>

[/quote]</p>

I was given that book as a child and have tried two times to
                        read it over the years but never managed to (an extremely rare
                        occurence). It's the french translation though, which probably doesn't
                        help....</p>

[/quote]</p>

It's not a children's book. This is
                        a mistake too many intellectually-minded adults do, giving books that
                        can't be handled at a certain age. It can actually turn someone
                        off. I tried to read Master and Margarita when I was 13,
                        haha. I did not pick it back up until I was 22, I think.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Could
                        be the case, although last time I tried I was about 25.....maybe I need
                        to wait until I have a white chest hair, or chest hairs for that
                        matter...</p>

[/quote]</p>

I heard about '1984' when I
                        was in 6th grade, and decided to read it at that point, inspired by a
                        Donald Duck story. I was in for some trouble. Got through it, but
                        didn't understand one single thematic element or deeper idea, as far as
                        I remember at least. I later re-read it together with 'Animal Farm',
                        and I honestly still didn't grasp it completely. </p>

I am currently reading Baudelaire's 'Sparks' &amp; 'The Naked Heart', his fragmented diaries
                        inspired by a proposition Poe once put up. Lovely and charming
                        dandyism, I can recommend it to anyone who enjoys wonderful thoughts
                        and weird ideas.

</p>

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

an assortment of papers by the eveolutionary theorist Stephen Jay Gould....... "punctuated equilibrium", "Phylectic Gradualism" etc......... a bunch of crap that these scientist cannot seem to agree upon......... they more seem to want to up-end each other and be Scientific- Top-Dog than find out (or accept) the truth of the origins of life and the universe as a whole..........
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I finally fulfilled my duty of picking up The Russian Debutante's Handbook. I'm 2/3rd's in, and it's absolutely hilarious. Shteyngert is a sharp writer.
                            </p>

Ok, I finished it. I liked it overall, but it looks like (judging by what droogist said about Absurdistan) Shteyngart has trouble finishing. The book should've been about 75 pages shorter. His witticisms get tiresome by the end (the curious lack of natural fibers in clothing, the one-sided view of the babushkas who don't fit into to the post-Communist world), the end itself (except the epilogue) is a victim to an overwhelming pressure to finish a book action-style (some other authors like Russel Banks are prone to this) - as if he is already thinking about selling movie-rights for the novel. Some characters, like Kostya and Andrea get lost (although he tries to remind us of Kostya throughout the novel, it's futile). Some Russian translations just don't work, although I completely understand his desire to relate his Russianness - I've tried and failed plenty of times.</p>

Still, for the most part his writing is very sharp, funny, and engaging. I still recommend it as a pretty good insight into experience of an intelligent, displaced Russian-Jewish immigrant, a person that can never quite reconcile how the enormous cultural heritage he received could coexist with such debilitating and dreadful daily life.
                            </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Not sure what's next - I always feel a little giddy when I finish a book and have some time to think about what to read now. I'm thinking to reread Borges' short stories.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Jorge Lois Borges - Labyrinths</p>

And, inspired by Laika, Moby Dick.
                                </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎