Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MJRH
    • Nov 2006

yes, sade's whirlwind of gratuitous sensation does, quite literally, dis-gust a fella. one comes away sapped. as for the style, the tumidity contrasts nicely with the tumescence, no? ;)
    ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Macro
      • Apr 2008

I can give you a proper answer when i'm done reading it. :)
      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

I only read Justine, but I thought the writing more interesting than the material. but then I find erotic art in general quite boring, so...

Comment

• MJRH
          • Nov 2006

^agreed, mostly. certainly wouldn't recommend de sade as a turn-on (and would keep a sharp eye on anyone who did), he's more about philosophy rendered in smut for me. can you tell me what he reads like in french? in english, well, macro's "tumid" is pretty apt.

Comment

• viv1984viv
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
            ^agreed, mostly. certainly wouldn't recommend de sade as a turn-on (and would keep a sharp eye on anyone who did), he's more about philosophy rendered in smut for me. can you tell me what he reads like in french? in english, well, macro's "tumid" is pretty apt.
            I'm going to read Julliette soon as a primer for the chapter about it in Dialectics of Enlightenment.

MJRH - got any comments on that or some nice tips on secondary literature that would synch well???
            Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• MJRH
              • Nov 2006

but, of course... masoch!

viv, i am a dilettante and poorly read in secondary literature. haven't read adorno. if you find something worthwhile then please lemme know.

oh, and on the (persistent) subject of french badasses, read rabelais before you read de sade, y'all. he's better.

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

I read it like 10 years ago, I seem to recall it was quite well written and funny, for the French 18th century (but then I don't think very much of most 18th century French authors' style... It's mostly boring demonstrative bullshit)

Edit: I just looked up the definition of "tumid", and I guess it's an apt description, but like tumid in a good way? Some bits are good anyway. I'd have to read it again. Sorry my answer is quite useless

Comment

• MJRH
                  • Nov 2006

yes, it is very well written in the translation, just weighty. dense to the point it could be a dealbreaker for some. thanks, i just wanted to know if it was the same in french or one of those shambling english translations that butcher the original spirit.

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

They probably did, English and French aren't the most compatible languages. Still, after rereading a few pages, it's quite heavy-handed

Comment

• Macro
                      • Apr 2008

Well, Justine done. He's the closest read to Shakespeare i've experienced, both in his construction of words and his subject matter. Yeah, it's a parable, but it's a damned one. The 'erotic' scenes challenge my ability to endure them, and for that, taking the reader on an emotional experience that engines his philosophical argument makes for a fuckin read.

Now, onto The Trial.
                      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

I didn't find Justine that hard to cope with, but I was reading a lot of smut at the time, I may have been a bit desensitized.

Also, I would personnaly not recommend reading Masoch, Venus in furs is a supremely boring book and once the premise of the story is understood there is really nothing of interest going on. It's a psychological novelty, rather than proper litterature.

Now Tanizaki is much more rewarding, if one is interested in cruelty and eroticism (very little actual sex, which is the best way to tackle such things imo, since sex itself it the least interesting part of such relationships - one of his stories about a group of children is gorgeous). And actually a very good writer, unlike Masoch

Comment

• LOVE
                          • Dec 2007

just finished pattern recognition by william gibson, anyone read it?

starting in cold blood by capote.

Comment

• Macro
                            • Apr 2008

LOVE, it's in the queue... just started Neuromancer.

galia, i'll look into those two for my future excursions... i'm not sure we will ever agree on anything concerning literature, but i'll always give it a try :P

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

The Tanizaki story I mentioned earlier is called "The Children", and apparently you can find it in a collection called "The Gourmet Club"

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Just finished Harry Potter with my daughter. Took us 1 year and 8 months and it's been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Sad that it's over. It's quite an achievement on Rowling's part, not only to write an immensely complicated book where everything falls into place over 5,000 pages but also to have the books mature - in plot, scope, breadth, sentence structure and lexicon - just as the main characters do. Hats off.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎