X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qnc.hst
    • Oct 2007

Re: What are you reading?

I loved Suttree. Perhaps more than Blood Meridian. Still gotta get to the Border Trilogy sometime.</p>

Currently wrapping up Bonfire of the Vanities, which I picked up after tracing some articles relating an article Wolfe wrote calling for "a return to realism" to the Wire. I've enjoyed it quite a bit, it's gone nice 'n quick for being around 650 pages.
    </p>
    I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• Lizshow
      • Mar 2008

Currently, I'm reading Freakonomics. Very interesting read.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Is there a link? JSTORE? I'll read anything that has Sherlock Holmes in the title.</p>

[/quote]</p>

I looked for an online version, but no go. [:(] It's in this book, if you're interested...very fascinating stuff all around.
        </p>
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

</P>

"Clues: Morelli, Freud and Sherlock Holmes," an essay by Carlo Ginzburg</P>

feeling the tininess of my pea-sized brain acutely....[:|]</P>

[/quote]</P>

Is there a link? JSTORE? I'll read anything that has Sherlock Holmes in the title.</P>

[/quote]</P>
          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Me too, was a big fan when I was a kid. I try to collect the compilation volumes when I come upon them at used bookstores...</P>

Is the essay in digital form Laika?</P>
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

It's not - that's what I meant by JSTOR. It's a US based academic publication database.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

I could scan the article for you guys, if you are really interested. But you might just want to get the book from the library--Holmes is in the title of every single essay. [73]
              </p>

</p>
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• gusgusterson
                • Mar 2007

[quote user="qnc.hst"]

I loved Suttree. Perhaps more than Blood Meridian. Still gotta get to the Border Trilogy sometime.</p>

[/quote]</p>

The Border Trilogy is worthwhile. Brush up on your Spanish and your Old Testament. I think the Crossing is irritating but incredible, Suttree is pretty amazing. I like that Cormac can reuse the same words over and over and over. Every Sherlock Holmes story has the word "singular" in it at least once.
                </p>

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

I could scan the article for you guys, if you are really interested. But you might just want to get the book from the library--Holmes is in the title of every single essay. [73]
                  </p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

no need, laika - too much reading to do as it is [&lt;:o)]
                  </p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

SZ comments for the past 7 months
                    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• qnc.hst
                      • Oct 2007

Just started finally reading Lolita. 100 pages in and totally tumescent...
                      I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                        • Jan 2008

Almost Transparent Blue - Ryu Murakami
                        I am not who you think I am

Comment

• matthewhk
                          • Jan 2007

i finished The Rum Diary last week and am almost done with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...these books are my introduction to Hunter's work, i find his writing exhilarating to read. I don't do drugs or even drink any more, but i get an adrenaline rush living vicariously through the degenerates he portrays.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

it's worth to re-watch the movie after you finish the book. By the way, benicio del toro and johnny depp have been trying to make a film out of The Rum Diary forever. The current page on imdb says 09 release, but I no longer believe it.</p>

If you like these two, you should read Hunter's letters - they are hilarious. I have to say though that his late books are not that interesting - he has already descended into his ranting loony image that's been branded into the public, and they are pretty schematic. </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
                              • Jan 2007

yeah i've been meaning to check out the movie of FALILV but the criterion collection DVD costs a lot here in Hong Kong. I remember renting the movie back in college and guess what - the DVD was broken lol.</p>

Yeah that Rum Diary movie seems like it's been getting pushed back forever. Really curious as to who will play Chenault. </p>

you seem quite familiar with his work, do you know if most of the stuff he writes is somewhat autobiographical of his own experiences as a journalist? If it is - all the more amazing...i wonder how someone can get through some of this stuff still alive. Although the central characters whom I presume to be based on himself tend to be the voices of reason in the works, it is still quite awe inspiring.
                              </p>

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]

yeah i've been meaning to check out the movie of FALILV but the criterion collection DVD costs a lot here in Hong Kong. I remember renting the movie back in college and guess what - the DVD was broken lol.</p>

Yeah that Rum Diary movie seems like it's been getting pushed back forever. Really curious as to who will play Chenault. </p>

you seem quite familiar with his work, do you know if most of the stuff he writes is somewhat autobiographical of his own experiences as a journalist? If it is - all the more amazing...i wonder how someone can get through some of this stuff still alive. Although the central characters whom I presume to be based on himself tend to be the voices of reason in the works, it is still quite awe inspiring.
                                </p>

[/quote]</p>

He did too probably, hence the suicide. Yes, I've read a lot of his stuff. it's mostly autobiographical stuff or commentary. Yes, he did run for sheriff on the voting platform based on bikers and druggies, and almost won, and he did get the shit kicked out of him by Hell's Angels (I didn't read that book, btw). I think his later work gets redundant and ranty and lacks continuity and impact. But his earlier work is excellent social commentary from the front lines, so to speak. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diary are his only two fiction works - I wish he'd written more of that. You should read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.
                                </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎