X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iSuck
    • Mar 2008

Re: What are you reading?

The Hobbit was released in the late 30s that Tolkien wrote primarily as a book for the children in his family. The Lord of the Rings were released in the mid 50s. At both times Tolkien was already a mature writer, so I dislike it when people try to say that 20 years later he honed his writing craft. In reality he spent 20+ years creating an entire UNIVERSE (never really finished) in order to publish the trilogy. I agree Hali that when you go and try to read the Silm it can be very challenging. I still need to pick up and read Children of Hurin.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

You could say I'm a fan...</P>

</P>

1938 1st U.S. edition of The Hobbit</P>

</P>

</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I just picked up A Hero of Our Time by Lermontov</P>

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="iSuck"]

I just picked up A Hero of Our Time by Lermontov</p>

[/quote]</p>

Brilliant.</p>

This was the epigraph for one of my most favorite, if not the favorite, books, The Fall, by Albert Camus.</p>

A Hero of Out Time, gentlemen, is in fact a portrait, but not of an individual, it is the aggregate of the vices of a whole generation in their fullest expression. - Lermontov
      </p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Diego
        • Aug 2007

Ended List of seven by Frost, will start Magus by Fowles soon

Comment

• mamaboy
          • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="iSuck"]

I just picked up A Hero of Our Time by Lermontov</P>

[/quote]</P>

Brilliant.</P>

This was the epigraph for one of my most favorite, if not the favorite, books, The Fall, by Albert Camus.</P>

A Hero of Out Time, gentlemen, is in fact a portrait, but not of an individual, it is the aggregate of the vices of a whole generation in their fullest expression. - Lermontov
          </P>

[/quote]</P>

russian literature is better then sex {just a stupid quote}</P>
          but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Real Real
            • Feb 2007

Jose Saramago, History of the Siege of Lisbon

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

I just finished Quiet Days in Clichy by Henry Miller, and now all I want to do is read more Henry Miller. [:^)]
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                • Jan 2008

[quote user="laika"]I just finished Quiet Days in Clichy by Henry Miller, and now all I want to do is read more Henry Miller. [:^)]
                [/quote]</p>

Now you have read the book, you should, if you haven't, see Jens Jørgen Thorsen
                film adaption from 1970. It's thoroughly enjoyable! [79] ...
                </p>
                Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]I just finished Quiet Days in Clichy by Henry Miller, and now all I want to do is read more Henry Miller. [:^)]
                  [/quote]</p>

you are just a sex fiend [83]</p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• klangspiel
                    • Apr 2007

not yet... soon... hoping for some juice on sick dick and the volkswagens
                    </p>

</p>

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Faust! [86] It must be the spring weather....
                      </p>

[quote user="BECOMING-INTENSE"]</p>

[/quote]</p>

Now you have read the book, you should, if you haven't, see Jens Jørgen Thorsen
                      film adaption from 1970. It's thoroughly enjoyable! [79] ...
                      </p>

[/quote]</p>

thanks for recommendation, i will look forward to it. [51][79]</p>
                      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• mamaboy
                        • Mar 2008

[/quote] di you try "black spring" --very touching, for my gentle and cruel heart
                        but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• qnc.hst
                          • Oct 2007

I forgot about this thread... just went back through the pages and added a bunch of titles mentioned to my library list... thanx for continuing my education, everyone.</p>

Recently finished stuff: Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson and Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians. Just started The Elementary Particles and I'm really enjoying it thus far...</p>
                          I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

what did you think of coetzee?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• qnc.hst
                              • Oct 2007

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I had hoped from his reputation (this is the first of his writing that I've read). To my muddled ways of thinking, a lot of the allegory seemed perhaps a bit blunt and oversimplified... of course there's something to be said for the clarity of the symbols being presented, but I like it when things get a bit more mixed up and tricky to untangle, I guess.
                              I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• loveless
                                • Feb 2007

just re read 1984. its really one of the best 2nd reads i've ever had. almost a different story interms of what stuck out now vs a highschool mind......</p>

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: verdana; font-size: 11px; line-height: 17px; ">"We shall abolish the orgasm. Our neurologists are at work upon it now. There will be no loyalty, except loyalty towards the Party. There will be no love, except the love of Big Brother. There will be no laughter, except the laugh of triumph over a defeated enemy. There will be no art, no literature, no science. When we are omnipotent there will be no need of science. There will be no distinction between beauty and ugliness. There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always?do not forget this Winston?always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face?forever."</span></p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎