X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        POREZELLAN MANUFAKTUR NYMPHENBURG
        hell yeah. i'm ALL about that black bisque. got a pair of black bones at home...

their painted and white table flowers are gorgeous also...

and i'm planning on collecting this, sooner or later - the thinness and texture are amazing:

Last edited by Shucks; 02-12-2015, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

/\ yes, this is cool. they can go down to 2mm thinness - you can actually see through it if you put it against the sun.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

Any recommendations for furniture? Looking for something basic, decent design, not artisanal or anything, mostly just function. Like an AA of furniture.
            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
              • May 2014

fairly obvious one but stella mccarteney prides herself in being ethical on many fronts. She doesn't even use leather or fur.

With a commitment to eco friendly clothing, Stella McCartney's initiative to sustainable clothing drives a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more!

I do feel like this part of her business plays a huge part in her marketing strategy however. I can see how a brand like that could lure consumers away from the usual suspects.

Comment

• bukka
                • Sep 2011

^ she also did a huge collab with h&m...
                Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                  Any recommendations for furniture? Looking for something basic, decent design, not artisanal or anything, mostly just function. Like an AA of furniture.
                  More the opposite of AA, but the rest of your description fits here:

There’s no international website for Grüne Erde, but these people offer furniture handmade in austria. The wood comes from sustainable forests in central europe, and they try to avoid metal as much as possible (both because of feng shui aspects as well as true carpenter workmanship)

Here’s an overview on the woodtypes they use: beech, pine and oak

With that high quality comes a lot of eco-blabla, but the furniture itself is quite perfect.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                    I don't really think you can do this with furniture on the meaningful scale because of its nature. And you shouldn't - I hope you don't change your furniture every couple of years

I suggest placing an order with a quality local manufacturer. That's what I am doing as I am building my new library through UHURU, in Red Hook, Brooklyn. While expensive, it's still coming out much cheaper than say Ligne Roset, I get exactly what I (plus hipster brownie points for making all the ethical consumer choices - local, fair wages, etc.).

Actually, I talked to a friend of mine who knows how this process works and he estimated that 25% of what I'm paying goes to cover materials, and 75% labor. Kind of crazy, but that's the modern Western world standard, I guess.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      I don't really think you can do this with furniture on the meaningful scale because of its nature. And you shouldn't - I hope you don't change your furniture every couple of years
                      Absolutely. I’d also encourage everyone to have furniture made by local carpenters, or ironbuilders, or any other artisan.

Though the question of ethical/sustainable furniture can’t (always) be solved by that alone. If that’s what you’re looking for, you really must follow the trail of the wood these people are working with (most often, they’d be happy to tell you)

Just as with organic food, they are a couple of certificates (at least in Europe) that indicate origin as well as the use of environment friendly paints or finishes.

Comment

• zen dog
                        • Jan 2014

Hi DudleyGray- I know you live in LA so you could try the Rose Bowl swap meet (2nd Sun. every month) which you just missed. Every third Sun. is Long Beach swap at the Veterans Stadium. Some sellers have somewhat predictable welded steel with reclaimed wood tops pieces. You could take Faust's suggestion and get something custom from them with no sharp edges for your kids. Nowhere near as nice as radio-aktivitat's suggestion but cheaper, local and perhaps the option of customization.

Once there, the ultimate sustainable- vintage. "Modern" is in right now so plenty dealers are carrying it. Prices vary so shop around and stay away from designer pieces and you should be fine cost-wise. If you go I want to be able to spot you from 20 feet away.

Comment

• Comotomo
                          • Nov 2014

How about muji furniture?

Comment

• DudleyGray
                            • Jul 2013

Thanks for the suggestions, radio and zen. I don't actually live in LA, maybe you have me mistaken for someone else. But vintage and local carpentry sound like some feasible options.

Faust-

I don't plan on changing furniture frequently, although I wonder if there's an SZ equivalent for furniture out there, where members post living room pictures and buy/sell/trade furniture in another section of the forum.

It's just time to start making my living space a place I actually want to be in, rather than a place I ended up and have to be in. So this for me is less about changing the industry or saving the environment than it is having my money end up somewhere decent.
                            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I've tried looking for an SZ equivalent, but it cannot be found. There are some good pinterest boards if you search for "minimalist" etc., but then you are stuck because it does not tell you to where actually buy the stuff. Your best resource is probably the few of our interior design/architecture threads in the culture section.

I'm in the same boat. Got to that age where I actually want to enjoy where I live and have it furnished according to my tastes. I've been slowly redecorating starting last year. This year need to repaint the entire apartment white and get new book cases.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Comotomo View Post
                                How about muji furniture?

In the ethical context of our discussion, muji might be the exact opposite
                                Apart from their collaboration with Thonet, that is. (though I am not sure wether T still manufacture entirely in Europe)

Regarding sustainable furniture, I’d take a look at Nils Holger Moormann, as well. They are based in a small bavarian alpine village and manufacture + source their timber locally. It’s very minimal furniture with some clever twists. www.moormann.de

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎