Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

i'm having a blast seeing New Moon getting CREAMED at the critics'. The futility of it all makes the tomato throwing that much more exhilarating and life-affirming.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Stack
      • Jan 2008

little darlings come in, hearts pitter-pattering for the handsome, all knowing bartender. and in their wake, a parade of slobbering geeks with one hand on their crotches and one hand on their wallets. buttons were popping, skirts were rising. when you can see the color of their panties then you know you've got talent. and boy oh boy have you got it. stick with me son, i'll make you a star
      once you get off the drugs and the alcohol, that's when you realise how dark you really are

Comment

• huskiesonice
        • Mar 2008

Saw Haneke's 'White Ribbon' at the weekend, great movie. Not a single note of music - unless it is created within the scene, no fancy camera pyrotechnics, classically shot, LONG pauses, definitely a powerful and evocative piece of film making.

Must admit I hated the re-make of Funny Games, but White Ribbon is back to his best.

Comment

• H-R
          • May 2007

Was browsing movie trailer and saw this:

I'm pretty sure this will appeal to some members here...

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wire.artist
            Originally posted by galia
            Watching Jacob Protozanov's Aelita. It's quite enertaining vintage russian sci-fi and the costumes are very cool
            The story is super corny, but then it often is in silent movies. The character of the amateur policeman is very funny
            I watched it in Bristol whith a band playing live, the band was Minima. Quite an experience! The costumes are great, I love what the queen's maid wears through the film.
            I just found out they were designed by Alexandra Exter, so of course they are amazing
            It's a good visual trip basically, the story is really weak

Comment

• klangspiel
              • Apr 2007

Comment

• deius
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by huskiesonice View Post
                Saw Haneke's 'White Ribbon' at the weekend, great movie. Not a single note of music - unless it is created within the scene, no fancy camera pyrotechnics, classically shot, LONG pauses, definitely a powerful and evocative piece of film making.

Must admit I hated the re-make of Funny Games, but White Ribbon is back to his best.
                Thanks for reminding me about that. I've seen literally no mention of it anywhere since Cannes. Sounds good, Hidden was the same in that there was no score at all and a really minimalistic direction. Actually it's a pity it took an Austrian director to make such a powerful French psychological drama.

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by deius View Post
                    Thanks for reminding me about that. I've seen literally no mention of it anywhere since Cannes. Sounds good, Hidden was the same in that there was no score at all and a really minimalistic direction. Actually it's a pity it took an Austrian director to make such a powerful French psychological drama.
                    There was a raving profile of him by Anthony Lane (who, mind you, seems to like nothing) in the New Yorker about a month ago.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
                      • Apr 2007

watched the Limits of Control last night/this morning. such a tedious waste of time that it made broken flowers look like genius, and that movie sucked too.

i still need to download white ribbon. cache seems to be making it onto all the top movies lists of the 00's, but claire denis has every movie hers on the lists. saw anti-christ some time back and that was great. i loved how it just turned into an outright horror movie for the last 1/3. bless lars von trier and his demented soul.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
                        watched the Limits of Control last night/this morning. such a tedious waste of time that it made broken flowers look like genius, and that movie sucked too.

i still need to download white ribbon. cache seems to be making it onto all the top movies lists of the 00's, but claire denis has every movie hers on the lists. saw anti-christ some time back and that was great. i loved how it just turned into an outright horror movie for the last 1/3. bless lars von trier and his demented soul.
                        thank you. i thought i was the only one.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• asho
                          • Nov 2007

looking for eric is possibly the best feel good film I have ever seen...

I liked broken flowers and the limits of control... i don't have the greatest attention span but there is something about the way jarmusch does slow that captivates me...

no 'wink wink, nudge nudge' intended.

I think it has to do with the music... but deadpan really suits me

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by asho View Post
                            looking for eric is possibly the best feel good film I have ever seen...

I liked broken flowers and the limits of control... i don't have the greatest attention span but there is something about the way jarmusch does slow that captivates me...

no 'wink wink, nudge nudge' intended.

I think it has to do with the music... but deadpan really suits me
                            I know that this is exactly why people like it, and I can appreciate it, but when it's done so numbingly, it bores me to death. For me it works better in vignettes, like he did in coffee and cigarettes.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• asho
                              • Nov 2007

it's funny, i actually only really enjoyed about half of coffee and cigarettes. to me the appeal lies partly in the length of time he is able to sustain an idea without really developing it.

Comment

• chameleon
                                • Jun 2008

klangspiel- looks intreresting, will check out. your taste in movies is impeccable.

Avantster- saw Tokyo Story for the first time last week. Loved it.

Watched Rengoku Eroica last night, thought it was absolutely breathtaking. Eros + Massacre is the only other Yoshida movie I've seen, so I wanna watch Coup d'Etat soon, before moving on to his other stuff.

Also saw Tokyo Sonata and liked it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎