X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
    I agree with everything in this post, except I think Depleshin is creepy and somewhat overrated

Matthieu Kassovitz is WAY overrated, La Haine was decent, but everything else by him is beyond stupid
    Desplechin is guilty bourgeois intellectual pleasure, I like him a lot but he's a little bit mannered/heavy handed.

ps: I sometimes like Honoré and Marchal so I guess I have weird tastes.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

i saw Johnnie To's Vengeance last night. Boy was that a bad movie.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
        • Jan 2010

Watched A Clockwork Orange for the second time in a week. I really quite like it. The super violent scenes being accompanied by the music is very different, not so dramatic like how the scenes usually are.
        MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

Just for fun it's worth checking out Funeral Parade of Roses to see where Kubrick might have borrowed some of the stranger moments. It's a film that's worth seeing either way, though.
          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
            i saw Johnnie To's Vengeance last night. Boy was that a bad movie.
            Nah, it has its moments. A minor To for sure.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

I found the climax/ending of the film very well done, a shame because the film lacked any kind of spark up to that point. It's frustrating because given the whole setup, I had a hard time imagining any other way the film could've been done.

Also I'm not familiar with the films of Alain Delon other than in passing, but do you think the creation of the Hallyday character was in any way an homage?
              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• ronin
                Banned
                • Dec 2009

I passed on Vengeance because I couldn't imagine watching a movie with Johnny Halliday as the main actor and liking it. It's like the guy would spoil the whole picture. Maybe I should get rid of my prejudice and give it a go sometime.
                Fade to Black, the script was reportedly written for Delon in the first place, so I think there is definitely an obvious character reference.

I'll be checking out the videoclub in my new neighbourhood tonight for the first time. I've been meaning to watch a movie by BĂ©la Tarr since Masugnen talked about them in the Favourite art pieces thread. What he said about them sounds like something I'm eagerly interested in when it comes to cinema. I've never seen any. In case there are several available, what would you advise me to watch first? Go chronologically, or is there a particular movie that is more approachable or enlightening? Apart from Satantango, I'm keeping this one for a weekend day.

Comment

• ronin
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009

^Thanks. The video club didn't have any anyway. I'll check the public libraries this week end. As of now, I'm watching Alexandre Nevski instead. Patriotic propaganda, here I come.

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ronin View Post
                    I passed on Vengeance because I couldn't imagine watching a movie with Johnny Halliday as the main actor and liking it. It's like the guy would spoil the whole picture. Maybe I should get rid of my prejudice
                    You definitely should !

pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                      • Feb 2009

Ronin!

Picking your first Tarr flick should not be a matter of coincidence or local availability. The risk of ruining possibilies of major artistic events is beforehand in quite well-spread trilogy CsalĂ¡di tĂ¼zfĂ©szek (Family Nest 1979)–Szabadgyalog (The Outsider 1981)–Panelkapcsolat (Prefab People 1982).

BĂ©la Tarr has two periods, the early social realist and the present, existential. While both are sombre in tone, they are starkly contrasted in narrative and aesthetics. Tarr's social realism, shaped in movies mentioned, is »faster«, angrier and lo-fi aesthetized while he's world-renowned for the somnambulistic pace and massively beautiful b/w-photo of KĂ¡rhozat (Damnation 1987)–SĂ¡tĂ¡ntangĂ³ (Satan's Tango 1994)–Werckmeister harmĂ³niĂ¡k (Werckmeister Harmonies 2002). The two phases intersect in interesting Ă–szi almanach (Almanac of Fall 1985).

Being a student of philosophy, Tarr himself divides his œuevre in three phases: the social, the ontological, the cosmological. KĂ¡rhozat was the ontological piece, while SĂ¡tĂ¡ntangĂ³ was ruled by a cosmological view. Personally, having heard about his cathegorization, I presumed Werckmeister harmĂ³niĂ¡k would be the first cosmological take, but he antedated this tendency to SĂ¡tĂ¡ntangĂ³. I haven't quite understood his reasons; they must be quite subtle – and for my needs lacking meaning.

I strongly suggest you to start your Tarr experience with either of these three, perhaps narrow it down to either KĂ¡rhozat or Werckmeister harmĂ³niĂ¡k since SĂ¡tĂ¡ntangĂ³ with is seven plus hours is such a demaning (but eventually in several ways greatly rewarding) piece. My favourite of his movies is, as mentioned, Werckmeister harmĂ³niĂ¡k. There I feel Tarr has reduced some of his aesthetic idiosyncracies, the all too overt beauty of pooring rain and mud stomping. That's a problem with Tarr, the slight aesthetic bias. But so he in A Londoni fĂ©rfi (A Man from London 2007) constructs pictures never seen before and I can only admire him.
                      Last edited by MASUGNEN; 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

BSR - that poster screams kitsch. Hallyday looks better now than he did then, assuming he's the guy on the right.

I've never been acquainted with his music, but have heard him described in papers here as the "Elvis of France." He's no Serge, that's for sure.
                        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                          • Feb 2009

Godard is deranged.

Comment

• ronin
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2009

Thanks a lot, Masugnen! I always find it hard to know where to start when discovering a filmmaker or an author. This it really helpful.

BSR, I'm not familiar with Godard's late work, if it's as bad as the poster suggests I think I'll keep it that way. That face... too good to be true.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

Just watched Sin Nombre, a very well done film.
                              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

So, I watched Mad Max. I have a question - were people in 1980 retarded? How could this become a cult hit?
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎