X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Glad I am not alone in this.
    I lasted about 20 minutes into it before I quit. And I was really looking forward to it. The trailer is the best thing about the film.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• menofoutsiders
      • Apr 2013

Have just watched Ida last night. It's a good movie but I didn't like it as much as I expected. The film is beautifully shot like you're watching a series of b&w pictures crafted into a beautiful film with damn fine acting. And that alone is worth watching.

The plot is also very strong, it goes beyond how war affects an individual movie. But I can't say much on this otherwise it'll become a spoiler.

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

Just watched and thoroughly enjoyed Frank. It's very funny and the music is decent, highly reccomended unless you're allergic to the "indie" aesthetic

Comment

• gregor
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by menofoutsiders View Post
          Have just watched Ida last night. It's a good movie but I didn't like it as much as I expected. The film is beautifully shot like you're watching a series of b&w pictures crafted into a beautiful film with damn fine acting. And that alone is worth watching.

The plot is also very strong, it goes beyond how war affects an individual movie. But I can't say much on this otherwise it'll become a spoiler.
          what about it didn't you like? i mean, what you described sounds like an almost universal formula for success.

Comment

• menofoutsiders
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by gregor View Post
            what about it didn't you like? i mean, what you described sounds like an almost universal formula for success.
            It's a strong movie and I quite like the film but it didn't touch me as much as I expected. Most film which deal with topic such as repression and alienation , Tsai Ming Liang's Vive L' Amour and Naomi Kawase's Shara for example, usually moves me greatly but I feel less connected to Ida's character.

It's possible that it's because I'm more familiar to eastern culture than western culture . And cultural difference surely reflects in film-making. If I have to list my top 10 films, I'm sure 6 to 8 of them are far-eastern film.
            Last edited by menofoutsiders; 02-10-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

Been playing lots of piano as of late, so I thought to watch La Pianiste. Holy shit. I don't really have much worth saying about it right now, nothing that wouldn't be some half-baked rambling, which I guess would be par for the course. But holy damn, loved it and highly recommend it.
              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• GucciAmen
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                Been playing lots of piano as of late, so I thought to watch La Pianiste. Holy shit. I don't really have much worth saying about it right now, nothing that wouldn't be some half-baked rambling, which I guess would be par for the course. But holy damn, loved it and highly recommend it.
                You should also watch The Pianist by Polanski, not one of my favourites by him, more into the apartment trilogy; but regardless, it escapes the cliche of WWII films quite well in my opinion. I know this doesn't fit the thread, but what pieces have you been playing recently? I devoted a few hours to Liszt's transcendental etudes the other day while studying, wonderful pieces (liebestraum is key as well).
                Last edited by GucciAmen; 02-21-2015, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                  You should also watch The Pianist by Polanski, not one of my favourites by him, more into the apartment trilogy; but regardless, it escapes the cliche of WWII films quite well in my opinion. I know this doesn't fit the thread, but what pieces have you been playing recently? I devoted a few hours to Liszt's transcendental etudes the other day while studying, wonderful pieces (liebestraum is key as well).
                  Hah, my mom recommended that one to me. I've been meaning to check that one out, if anything because I really like Chopin. I'm trying to learn Chopin's Nocturne no. 1 right now. I'm just a hobbyist so this is one of the harder pieces I've tried playing, but it's also very rewarding. Otherwise, I play a mix of some Beethoven and some contemporary and self-written stuff.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

You should not watch the Pianist by Polanski.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
                      • Jul 2013

I had a friend in grade school whose father had marked a VHS cassette with "DO NOT WATCH." And it actually worked, until a certain age. Anymore, that seems more effective to get someone to watch something than "I highly recommend..."

Comment

• GucciAmen
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        You should not watch the Pianist by Polanski.
                        I think it did water down my view of him as a director, due to how far it strayed from where I think his proper niche lies: psych. horror films. What is your reasoning against recommending it? The cast? Not trying to defend the film, just curious to see your reasoning.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

The sympathetic portrait of the Nazi officer is the main complaint. Fuck that sentimental bullshit. Everyone should read Tadeusz Borowski instead.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• malaesthetique
                            • Mar 2009

Latest Adam Curtis doc. I love the way he sets archival video to music while presenting underrepresented narratives. Some of his earlier docs are better, but all are worthwhile.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I still sometimes recall the thing he did with Massive Attack at the Park Avenue Armory. Out of this world.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
                                • Sep 2014

Watched "The Third Man" by Carol Reed last night. Great film that wraps deception, murder, and love altogether in the milieu of post-war Vienna. Cinematography is some of the best I've seen as well. The score was also very pleasant to listen to, come to think of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎