Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

I've never seen "Gummo" but thanks for posting that, cs. Great essay on the Creative Process.

I will go rent that film next.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• laughed
      • Jul 2009

corsair - yeah, that's where i read that too. the few times that i watched the film i never really took much interest in who else he worked with, i guess because i just always considered it to be almost just him, impossible i know, but he's just one of those filmmakers. there's also a pretty cool video interview with him by xola jesus-i think through her myspace page...he's a funny guy that's for sure. The one think that gets me is that he said something about how he thinks wong kar wai movies are shi**y which is funny because christopher doyle is my favorite cinematographer of all-time. To each his own i guess. mister lonely was a little long, but his new one looks pretty cool. My fav gummo scene i couldn't find on youtube - the one where the little ruffians are just cruising on their bikes looking for a cat to kill....gets me every time. I think Harmony is a good filmmaker but at any point I can certainly see his films to be no better than say, something by Cam Archer. (And similar) Not that that's a bad thing, I think Cam is good, but not great.

and while we're talking about fashion, i don't think he is credited in the film, I think it may be someone else, but I know that Jeremy Scott did many of the costumes in Mister Lonely.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

My interview with Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Grazzesto
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          My interview with Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

http://www.planet-mag.com/2010/art/e...pierre-jeunet/
          Great read, reminded me to add a couple of his films to my "need to rewatch" list.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ Thanks. Looks like some technical difficulties on page 4 - our web guy is working on it.

EDIT: Fixed it myself.
            Last edited by Faust; 05-11-2010, 05:42 PM.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
              • Jul 2008

IMAGINARIUM OF DR PARNASSUS
              What a tripy ride, While I could not sit through BRAZIL I really enjoyed Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas & 12 Monkeys. This one is the best , See it!

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by corsair sanglot

most of the time people misunderstand harmony's intentions, due in part maybe to things like these :
                this guy reminds me of myself
                www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• unmetro
                  • Sep 2006

anyone catch freakonomics at Tribeca this year and have any thoughts?

Comment

• sam_tem
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by swami View Post
                    IMAGINARIUM OF DR PARNASSUS
                    What a tripy ride, While I could not sit through BRAZIL I really enjoyed Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas & 12 Monkeys. This one is the best , See it!
                    i watched a downloaded copy a long time ago so it may not be the version that's out right now, but the movie was totally ruined once it switched over to cgi for me. it started off being a really cool and slightly dark atmosphere and then switched over into being another alice in wonderland.

i'm just tired of this cgi crap already. i'll take robocop/terminator special effects over this cartoon stuff any day.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by unmetro View Post
                      anyone catch freakonomics at Tribeca this year and have any thoughts?
                      If that causes thoughts in your head, you've got problems.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• unmetro
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        If that causes thoughts in your head, you've got problems.
                        Ha ;-)

looked fun...omnibus films are so popular these days.
                        they were giving away free books at the Apple discussion for it.

coincidentally, Jean-Pierre Jeunet spoke afterwards...he's a fun character too.

Comment

• Catfood
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post

i'm just tired of this cgi crap already. i'll take robocop/terminator special effects over this cartoon stuff any day.
                          I think Blade Runner is a great example of how beautiful a film can be without CGI, almost 30 years old now and still very few films even come close visually. I'd take Blade Runner over Avatar etc any day.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

just watched Gummo, am glad this page of this thread brought the movie back to my attention. CS' best-of-20-years claim doesn't seem out of bounds at all.
                            www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• laughed
                              • Jul 2009

best of last 20 years - WOW - there were a lot of great, great films. To keep it in the realm of things Harmony had his hands on, I much prefer Larry Clark's KIDS by a mile. Again, Gummo is a great film - of the last 20 years, it's in my top 30. But KIDS was mind blowing when it came out. I think because at the time it came out, it was hard to find in theaters and even harder to find on video because of it's rating. I remember being in high school and the two copies that were floating around my town in video stores outside of Blockbuster were always hard to rent. I remember skipping school one day, grabbing some 40s and some weed and one of my friends jacked the copy from a grocery store that had a video center inside. There were about 5 us, watching this hard to find, and muched talked about film KIDS, and did it ever live up to the hype. It was like nothing I had seen before, and the talk of the film and the mystery behind - what is this movie that no one wants me to see? - to finally see it - it was like nothing I can ever remember. Very Good Times. That baby is in my top 3 as far as American movies of the last 20 years are concerned. If not number 1. nice interview btw faust.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                                • Oct 2009

Just finished the last of the six "Lone Wolf and Cub" movies and was really blown away by all of them. If you get the chance watch them, especially in the japanese original. Though its pretty brutal and very funny in a way it really has a depth to it I can't quite describe.

Up next:

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎