X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Farkhanyassin
    • Jan 2010

^ Haha. Cute.

I was watching Fear and Loathing yesterday for the first time. I haven't read any of Hunter S. Thompson's work but I guess this movie great a good job portraying the novel. I definitely dug the psychedelic style of the picture, the drugged out effects were definitely cool, creepy, and funny to witness.

"You took too much man, took too much..."
    MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Atom
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by galia View Post
      although I have to confess I think I particularly enjoyed myself because I ate sweet popcorn in a cinema for the first time in my life. my friend and I shared a huge bucket of it, and it made me feel very american, and I found it funny. the end
      A huge bucket of popcorn and watching violence on big screen = Win.

Originally posted by Farkhanyassin View Post
      I haven't read any of Hunter S. Thompson's work but I guess this movie great a good job portraying the novel.
      I read Fear and loathing when I was a teenager. I liked it very much and remember thinking that Gilliams is so going to ruin the book. But suprisingly he didn't, movie definately has this thompsonesque vibe. And Depp is much better Hunter S. Thompson than Bill Murray.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I don't know how can one understand, let alone appreciate FALILV without reading the book. The book is a riot.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MoFiya
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by klangspiel View Post
          you obviously didn't read the bottom half of the film's imdb reviews.
          To be honest, I dont read any reviews... Especially not on imdb. You just dont know who these people are. I rather watch movies I found through recommendations of ppl I know share similar interest and sense for aesthetics and arts. So many movies are hyped somewhere on the net and I dont get the clue at all...

Another aspect is the more different reviews / oppinions I read, the more I am biased when actually seeing the movie. But I guess that's just the way I prefer to discover arts. I do not like going to a museum and listening to a guide or whatsoever when I am actually seeing the picture the first time either. Wanna build my own association and interpretation and if I want to share my thoughts or acquire more background knowledge about the piece of art I can still read the guide. Same for movies.
          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - the kind of film that mainstream Hollywood movies should be, but can't be. The remake is going to be pointless, Fincher or otherwise.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Atom
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
              The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - the kind of film that mainstream Hollywood movies should be, but can't be. The remake is going to be pointless, Fincher or otherwise.
              Yes, that was a nice one! Although it's one of those movies that after reading the book it felt somehow, umm, flat. But I don't think it's the movie's fault though, I can't think of a film I would have liked more after reading the book.

Be warned though: the film adaptations of the latter parts of the Larsson's trilogy are significantly worse than Girl with the dragon tattoo.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                I don't know how can one understand, let alone appreciate FALILV without reading the book. The book is a riot.
                The book in its purest is unfilmable. The Samoan in the film comes across as comatose compared to how I visualized him when reading the book. They did try, though.
                www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                  exactly what i said a few pages back.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Atom View Post
                    Be warned though: the film adaptations of the latter parts of the Larsson's trilogy are significantly worse than Girl with the dragon tattoo.
                    Not surprised to hear that - I haven't read any of the books, but after watching that first film I had a queasy feeling it was a one-off type of deal.
                    www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• maldoror
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      School of the Holy Beast, Institute benjamenta, etc.
                      always glad to see your posts, because they remind me of all my old favorites that have been lost in the shuffle. I don't think I've seen wicked city since highschool

finally got a copy of midori

hopefully it'll help tie me over until last gasp finishes their translation of the strange tale of panorama island

Comment

• ████████
                        • Aug 2010

Comment

• Diego
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
                          always glad to see your posts, because they remind me of all my old favorites that have been lost in the shuffle. I don't think I've seen wicked city since highschool

finally got a copy of midori

hopefully it'll help tie me over until last gasp finishes their translation of the strange tale of panorama island
                          Those Rampo adaptations are great . Nice to see you bro.

Comment

• snafu
                            • Apr 2008

watched god on trial cheers eugene. Gonna follow up klangs also
                            claire dennis, Beau Travail
                            wim wenders, paris texas
                            then also rewatched three colours blue
                            Last edited by snafu; 08-26-2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• andrew
                              • Sep 2009

I cant believe i have never been through this thread before (probably cause my to watch list has about a thousand films filling my shelves and hardrive) but wanted to ask what people think of Kitano's other films?

I recently saw Getting Any for the first time and its hilarious. I love the rawness of Violent Cop but for me Hana Bi is the hands down winner. Probably one of my favourite films ever but i cant explain why i love it, I have shown various people who have been unmoved by it. Really liked A scene at Sea too.

Really looking forward to Enter the void, i like Irreversible a lot as well as parts of his other stuff.

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

the arthur russell doc by matt wolf

download here...

btw. what's the difference between this thread and the 'what are you watching one'? this more 'serious' cinephile stuff?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎