X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huskiesonice
    • Mar 2008

Re: Peter Greenaway.

The Draughtsman's Contract was a film I liked, about the only film of his I felt really enthusiastic about. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083851/combined

Belly of Architect and The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, I found okay but wasn't blown away by. All three of these films were made in the 1980's, so I guess that was his best decade for me. Not sure he's done anything interesting for quite a while, although I've not seen - nor heard much about - his recent work.

Comment

• sam_tem
      • Apr 2007

saw the draughtsmans contract recently and enjoyed it as well. i still found belly of an architect more enjoyable, but i'm sure smoking beforehand had a big impact on my experience with that one since it definitely enhanced the soundtrack and settings.

watched johnny suede earlier today. very early brad pitt movie with nick cave doing some cameo's. not much good to say about it, but still worth watching as a throwback to all those cheap early 90's independent films. like a stroll through memory lane.

Comment

• huskiesonice
        • Mar 2008

Looking at Greenaway's IMDB page - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000425/filmotype - it seems he has moved away from narrative film and more into documentaries, all his recent work appears to be in the latter category.

I wonder if that was his decision, or whether it was brought about by the severe lack of film financing in the UK right now?

Comment

• Acéphale
          • Apr 2010

^^^

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Diego
            • Aug 2007

The devils , would like to watch the "rape of christ" scene someday.

Comment

• KM80
              • Mar 2008

The Devils is so good, I was mesmerized through the entire movie the first time I watched it, and Day of the Beast is one of my favorites.

All of these Devil movies reminded me of this Brazilian short I saw at a film festival a few years ago called Love from Mother only by Dennison Ramalho. It was great, as I was just trying to look it up I noticed that he's made some kind of Coffin Joe comeback film, awesome!

And it sounds like he's working on another movie called Ninjas not actually about Ninjas but sadistic brazilian military police, color me exited.

Comment

• Enaml
                • Apr 2009

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but...

How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• Atom
                  • Sep 2009

I saw yesterday at the local film festival a movie (untitled), a comedy about modern art world and New York art scene. I quite liked it, it was funny, yet thought-provoking.

And because this is SZ: I think Adam Goldberg was wearing CCP boots in some scenes.

Comment

• klangspiel
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by huskiesonice View Post
                    Re: Peter Greenaway.
                    of the lot of greenaway flicks, my favourite is still his first - the falls -. a very special film that one. it inhabits a kind of conceptual headspace which i'd say is reserved for the neurotic idiot-savant, or the paranoic conspiracy theorist, who seem to detect / string together highly oblique and delusional patterns in (generally) socio-cultural settings that most "normal" people / the mass can't. further from that, it's simply an incredibly humorous film - bone-dryly witty and psychotically whimsical. hysterical stuff. beautifully shot and produced as well. i absolutely love everything about it.

Comment

• Acéphale
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Enaml View Post
                      p.sharits

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

Have a hard time finding Greenaway films here, but I once read a film lit book on his oeuvre, and of them all the most interesting seem to be The Falls and A Zed and Two Noughts, especially the latter in how it deconstructs viewer expectation of narrative and the frame.

saw Cook, The Thief, His Wife...and it was one of the best constructed films I've seen in terms of the visual styling of the production design.

I rewatched Paris, Texas, the DVD seemed to be majorly enhanced in a digital fashion. Especially the first 40 or so minutes, those colors were nearly blinding...but the film remains an excellent lesson in color composition for sure, that entire first hour could be released as a book of still paintings.
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Saw the new Inarritu's film, Biutiful. Outstanding. Put Amores Perros in my Netflix cue - the only of his films I haven't seen.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Diego
                            • Aug 2007

I'm glad Alejandro is working with big budgets now, he still owes money to some of us in his home country, we know him as gonzalez ingratitud (ungrateful).

Comment

• Atom
                              • Sep 2009

Yesterday I saw Howl, a movie about Allen Ginsberg and his famous poem that went on trial in the late 50's.

Overall, I liked the film. But there were some cheap looking computer animations that supposedly tried to explain the Howl (the poem), and they were awful. Almost ruined the whole movie.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ Really? That's hilarious.

Looks pretty dapper here, too. Is that a Yohji coat?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎