Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Completely second. Didn't think there was anything special about the film. I have to admit I liked timberlake though. And it's a good story.
    Enjoyed Exit through the giftshop.
    And rewatched the passion of Joan of arc for about the 10th time and it's still amazing.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Dec 2010

I thought Exit through the Giftshop was amazing- like everything came together perfectly by coincidence. Almost seems fictional

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

The Social Network is an incredibly, incredibly overrated film...I went in there expecting to really like it based on everything I vigorously read beforehand and was disappointed. The one thing commendable is how they managed to make a coherent, fast paced film out of that subject matter, but otherwise it was dull.

A weird childhood memory is I saw (one of?) the posters for "Man Bites Dog" and it made me think of James Dean. Still does.

I finally managed to sit through Part I of "No Direction Home" ...as much as I enjoy Dylan and probably because of that and having read so much it was a bit repetitive. Don't think I'll watch part two.
        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• laughed
          • Jul 2009

Man, Black Swan was a huge letdown. Corny as hell. Seriously.
          The trailer is good, the movie - givvveee mmeee a break.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
            Completely second. Didn't think there was anything special about the film. I have to admit I liked timberlake though. And it's a good story.
            Enjoyed Exit through the giftshop.
            And rewatched the passion of Joan of arc for about the 10th time and it's still amazing.
            me too, unexpectedly!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• docus
              • Dec 2010

Any fans of Chris Marker here? (Sorry, the tread is too long to trawl back through.)

Johnny Herb, if you're looking for trippy films, then I think Sans Soleil would fit the bill nicely - amazing, and perfect mushroom fare. But I think La Jetee is his best.

Comment

• laughed
                • Jul 2009

huge marker fan. born on the same day. what can i say....
                my fav of the moment is "A.K."

Comment

• AcĆ©phale
                  • Apr 2010

/\ he has so many good works. these are a few favorites.

*the last bolshevik* is the best. it is a film about great russian director aleksandr medvedkin. the french title is different, *le tombeau d'Alexandre*.

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Dec 2010

Spring, Autumn, Winter, Summer...and Spring

Does anyone know any other contemporary Asian (particularly Korean) films like this? It was shockingly slow and peaceful (in a good way)

Comment

• klangspiel
                      • Apr 2007

funny how there's no wikipedia entry for someone of medvedkin's stature. i guess cyberspace does forget.

marker's the last bolshevik is a magnificent film - for sure one of his best. as great as sans soleil and la jetee are, it's a damn shame many of his other films don't receive as much attention. quite a number of them are just as good if not better (level 5, a grin without a cat, le mystere koumiko, letter from siberia, remembrance of things to come, that film on tarkovsky, etc.). his shorter films (the embassy, toyko days, berlin 1990, 2048, etc.) are some of the finest as well.

Originally posted by 525252 View Post
                      Spring, Autumn, Winter, Summer...and Spring
                      Does anyone know any other contemporary Asian (particularly Korean) films like this? It was shockingly slow and peaceful (in a good way)
                      i'm generally not a fan of kim ki-duk's films but that particular film's quite an exception - probably the only thing i'd watch regularly from his oeuvre. as for your question, do you mean "slow cinema" (minimal, contemplative, austere, long takes, meditative, eliptical, etc.) in general (because if so, there are simply too many to recommend)? or do you mean "slow cinema" with specific buddhistic concerns and sensibilities? if the latter, then two korean films spring to mind: bae yong-kyun's why has bodhi-dharma left for the east?, and jeong ji-young’s beyond the mountain. both predate spring, autumn, winter... by a good decade or so and might've influenced kim. also, maybe even jang sun-woo's hwaomkyung / passage to buddha.

the other film i'd recommend which is not korean but japanese is akio jissoji's mujo. an all time fave.

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                      I finally managed to sit through Part I of "No Direction Home" ...as much as I enjoy Dylan and probably because of that and having read so much it was a bit repetitive. Don't think I'll watch part two.
                      part 2 is where the real fun begins - newport '65, london (royal albert hall) '66, the "electric dylan" backlash, "judas!", "play it fucking loud!", the recording of highway 61, etc.. - the mythologisation of dylan that we know today essentially took root with these events.
                      Last edited by klangspiel; 01-14-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Dec 2010

^ wow thanks, will definitely be looking those up. Have you seen/did you not like 3-iron by Kim Ki Duk?

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by klangspiel View Post

part 2 is where the real fun begins - newport '65, london (royal albert hall) '66, the "electric dylan" backlash, "judas!", "play it fucking loud!", the recording of highway 61, etc.. - the mythologisation of dylan that we know today essentially took root with these events.
                          ahh guess it's time to rent it for a 3rd time...
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                            • Nov 2007

speaking of bob dylan. one of my all-time favorite cinema sequences. sorry about the spanish dub. can't find the english original.
                            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• MoFiya
                              • Sep 2007

I wanna see this but cannot seem to find it anywhere...

Saw Seul contre tous by Gaspar NoƩ yesterday and must say that visually and technically this is by far my favorite by him...
                              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• klangspiel
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by 525252 View Post
                                ^ wow thanks, will definitely be looking those up. Have you seen/did you not like 3-iron by Kim Ki Duk?
                                i was underwhelmed by it when i saw it a few years back. it had everything i usually like about most films - little to no dialogue, glacial pacing, elliptical (in some respects), minimal camerawork, etc. -, and i really liked the new direction that kim was then undertaking especially with spring, summer, fall... and samaritan girl. but somehow it just didn't really do much for me. i thought some parts of it were a bit too "twee" for my liking especially the end. also, on that day, prior to 3-iron, i saw 3 films (godard's notre musique, alonso's los muertos, kiarostami's five) that absolutely blew me away and often that kind of experience conditions the way you view the next film. i think i'll have to give it another viewing someday.

have you heard of park ki-yong's camel(s) / nakta(dul)? it's very similar to 3-iron. revolves around a couple who are trying to articulate and express themselves... about *something*, perhaps something enigmatic, and a great deal of it is presented through long silences and awkwardness. it's definitely a starker and more minimal film to 3-iron. park's a young s.korean filmmaker to look out for if he ever makes another film again. he has only two films to his credit and both are great. his first one, motel cactus, is gorgeous with cinematographic work from christopher doyle.

speaking of korean films, here's a new film that i'm eagerly looking forward to. it's by lu zhang, a korean-chinese filmmaker who's been around for a while. dooman river is the english title. very promising by the looks of the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎