X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="mass"]i really like la confidential. i always use it as an example when people say i hate all russell crowe films or all kevin spacey films (even if i do).[/quote]</p>

Whaaat? How can one hate Kevin Spacey? I also like LA Confidential - awesome film.</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="mass"]i really like la confidential. i always use it as an example when people say i hate all russell crowe films or all kevin spacey films (even if i do).[/quote]</P>

I own Gladiator on DVD and enjoy watching it, mindless plot, republican values and all. I've also heard good things about Romper Stomper. Kevin Spacey was asolid supporting actorin Glengarry Glen Ross (Jack Lemmon blew everyone out of the water though)and quite good in theoverrated but enjoyable Usual suspects. </P>
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

Fuuma, you seem to really know your stuff about films, do you want to be a filmmaker or are you just an enthusiast? I'm taking a film scoring class this summer at NYU (apparently our film school is a big deal or something). Films scoring isn't something that I've been interested in but I thought this would be a good challenge. Anyway, if there are any filmmakers on this forum, I need to score for 3 clips by the end of the term and I would love to do one from someone up and coming [:)] So let me know if any of you have any clips I can use. Recommendations for interesting silent films I could take clips from would be great also.
        music

Comment

• mass
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[quote user="mass"]i really like la confidential. i always use it as an example when people say i hate all russell crowe films or all kevin spacey films (even if i do).[/quote]</P>

I own Gladiator on DVD and enjoy watching it, mindless plot, republican values and all. I've also heard good things about Romper Stomper. Kevin Spacey was asolid supporting actorin Glengarry Glen Ross (Jack Lemmon blew everyone out of the water though)and quite good in theoverrated but enjoyable Usual suspects. </P>[/quote]

you're right about those... and on top of that i remember liking the negotiator. i hated gladiator though!

spacey also looks like someone i work with (that's not why i dislike him though. can't really think of a reason why. maybe i don't afterall...).

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]

I saw Paprika.</p>

[/quote] </p>

Satoshi Kon is pretty good isn't he? I really liked Perfect Blue, I was at the festivalPremiere (or maybe the first time it was shown outside Japan?) and was blown away at the time, he made a Hitchccokian thriller using the medium of animation to make it more instead of less involving. Millenium actress was really good too and Paranoia Agent had it's moments (I think Servo is a fan)...</p>

What did you think of it?</p>
            <p mce_keep="true"></p>

[/quote]</p>

I liked it. The philosophy is a bit clunky, which I often find to be the case with these kinds of films. But the animation is so amazing, as you say, that it completely overwhelms the philosophical narrative (in a good way). The scene with the butterflies blew me away.
            </p>

Thanks for reminding me about Perfect Blue, I need to see that. </p>
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

I just finished This Is England and Drawing Restraint 9. I figured for all the talking up my friends been doing about the movie I might as well give that Barney fellow a shot.<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>There were some intriguing elements, but I couldn't handle the Tea Ceremony scene. I imagine that it could've been really powerful if I had been more interested in the film as a whole, there was some really interesting tension, but as it was it was just grueling since I was rather non-commited to it as it was. Anyone else seen it? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Also, I can think of fewer and fewer good reasons not to just spend all of my money on Fred Perry these days (slight exaggeration).</DIV>
              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• mass
                • Sep 2006

got through deadwood season 3 the other week... it was fantastic. this show is so underrated i don't understand why it gets so little attention. i can't believe the sopranos finale is this week. ]:

haven't seen very many new films, but i watched bad boys 2 again recently. i love this movie so much (actually fuuma and i both have a mutual respect for michael bay and if i had to make a list of top 20 favorite directors he would probably be #20), but this movie is just so perfect for a big screen & surround sound (not that i have either). it's one of those movies that i would definitely go out of my way to watch if it were ever on tv (kind of like the ocean's 11 remake, except i hate soderbergh with the exception of out of sight, and ocean's 11). anyway this movie is really entertaining without being stupid and even if you hate will smith you should give it a chance. nobody ever takes me seriously when i recommend it though.

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

[quote user="mass"]got through deadwood season 3 the other week... it was fantastic. this show is so underrated i don't understand why it gets so little attention. i can't believe the sopranos finale is this week. ]:

haven't seen very many new films, but i watched bad boys 2 again recently. i love this movie so much (actually fuuma and i both have a mutual respect for michael bay and if i had to make a list of top 20 favorite directors he would probably be #20), but this movie is just so perfect for a big screen &amp; surround sound (not that i have either). it's one of those movies that i would definitely go out of my way to watch if it were ever on tv (kind of like the ocean's 11 remake, except i hate soderbergh with the exception of out of sight, and ocean's 11). anyway this movie is really entertaining without being stupid and even if you hate will smith you should give it a chance. nobody ever takes me seriously when i recommend it though.[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I thought I was the only one.....heheh. :)</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV> I went saw the very high brow movie, Knocked Up last weekend and I really liked it. Funny till the very end, but the story was good because it could actually happen (well, most of it). </DIV>
                  "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]I just finished This Is England and Drawing Restraint 9. I figured for all the talking up my friends been doing about the movie I might as well give that Barney fellow a shot.<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>There were some intriguing elements, but I couldn't handle the Tea Ceremony scene. I imagine that it could've been really powerful if I had been more interested in the film as a whole, there was some really interesting tension, but as it was it was just grueling since I was rather non-commited to it as it was. Anyone else seen it? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>Also, I can think of fewer and fewer good reasons not to just spend all of my money on Fred Perry these days (slight exaggeration).</div>

[/quote]</p>

I think he's nothing but a coarse sensationalist.</p>
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
                      • Nov 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]I just finished This Is England and Drawing Restraint 9. I figured for all the talking up my friends been doing about the movie I might as well give that Barney fellow a shot.
                      <DIV><BR class=khtml-block-placeholder></DIV>
                      <DIV>There were some intriguing elements, but I couldn't handle the Tea Ceremony scene. I imagine that it could've been really powerful if I had been more interested in the film as a whole, there was some really interesting tension, but as it was it was just grueling since I was rather non-commited to it as it was. Anyone else seen it? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.</DIV>
                      <DIV>Also, I can think of fewer and fewer good reasons not to just spend all of my money on Fred Perry these days (slight exaggeration).</DIV>

[/quote]</P>

A lot of things irrated me in Drawing Restraint 9, but there were some good parts.I got really bored though, so I spent half of the movie looking at theartsy/hipster crowd :P</P>

I saw Paprika yesterday which was good as Fuuma pointed out earlier.</P>

Comment

• mass
                        • Sep 2006

after seeing the i am legend trailer i realized that despite being a charlton heston fan i have never seen the omega man. i watched it tonight and it was interesting. felt like an exploitation film but not as charming.

has anyone seen the cocaine cowboys documentary? will probably be watching that sometime this week. apparently it's quite good.

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

Anybody see Zoo? Creepy stuff, I found the starkness of the shots and constant narration (almost no action whatsoever) really hypnotizing. Really well done movie, almost makes you forget about the umm, subject matter.</p>

</p>

Still want to see Drawing Restraint 9 even if it is a snoozer. Just because I have the soundtrack and love Bjork, I'm interested to see how the music works with the film.</p>
                          music

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

[quote user="casem83"]

Anybody see Zoo? Creepy stuff, I found the starkness of the shots and constant narration (almost no action whatsoever) really hypnotizing. Really well done movie, almost makes you forget about the umm, subject matter.</P>

</P>

Still want to see Drawing Restraint 9 even if it is a snoozer. Just because I have the soundtrack and love Bjork, I'm interested to see how the music works with the film. </P>[/quote]
                            <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I could try hosting it on yousendit or some site like that if you want it, that way you can skip through some of the nonsense. My friend wanted to give it to her dad for fathers day, so I still have it ripped to my computer. Hell, I actually have Cremasters 1-5 and 9 lying around somewhere. I sold ripped copies of the first 5 to someone and I think I still have copies on a DVD somewhere. They're practically unwatchable, though, so I don't know why anyone would bother.</DIV>

Comment

• Servo2000
                              • Oct 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]

I saw Paprika. </P>

[/quote] </P>

Satoshi Kon is pretty good isn't he? I really liked Perfect Blue, I was at the festival Premiere (or maybe the first time it was shown outside Japan?) and was blown away at the time, he made a Hitchccokian thriller using the medium of animation to make it more instead of less involving. Millenium actress was really good too and Paranoia Agent had it's moments (I think Servo is a fan)...</P>

What did you think of it?</P>[/quote]
                              <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Just went to see it today, knew I'd have to eventually since I was such a fan of Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue. I've never seen Millenium Actress, but if it's anything like his other work I ought to find a way. I enjoyed Paprika. Is Millenium Actress worth seeking out, Fuuma?</DIV>

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]

I saw Paprika.</P>

[/quote] </P>

Satoshi Kon is pretty good isn't he? I really liked Perfect Blue, I was at the festivalPremiere (or maybe the first time it was shown outside Japan?) and was blown away at the time, he made a Hitchccokian thriller using the medium of animation to make it more instead of less involving. Millenium actress was really good too and Paranoia Agent had it's moments (I think Servo is a fan)...</P>

What did you think of it?</P>[/quote]
                                <DIV>Just went to see it today, knew I'd have to eventually since I was such a fan of Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue. I've never seen Millenium Actress, but if it's anything like his other work I ought to find a way. I enjoyed Paprika. Is Millenium Actress worth seeking out, Fuuma?</DIV>

[/quote]</P>

Haven't you answered the question yourself when you mentioned you were into his other works? I mean author theory wasn't invented for dogs :P Finding it shouldn't be a problem as it was released on DVD in North America, you could also look at the link I've sent you before for other asian dvds...</P>
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎