X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

I watched Seamless, finally. I didn't much like it. It seemed very superficial, I don't think they went deep enough into each designer's daily life, and there was not much in terms of what drives them to design, nothing philosophical (and I understand that nothing much drives Proenza boys except making something "cute," so maybe an expose on their shallowness was actually good). Anyway, this documentary is nothing compared to something like Notebooks on Cities and Clothes.</p>

I also watched Titus. It downright nearly killed me. I've never read that play, and while it may be less dramatic than King Lear, it's certainly much more gruesome. It's also not the strongest performance by Hopkins, but nevertheless he's a pleasure to watch - one of my favorite actors.</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="Faust"]

I watched Seamless, finally. I didn't much like it. It seemed very superficial, I don't think they went deep enough into each designer's daily life, and there was not much in terms of what drives them to design, nothing philosophical (and I understand that nothing much drives Proenza boys except making something "cute," so maybe an expose on their shallowness was actually good). Anyway, this documentary is nothing compared to something like Notebooks on Cities and Clothes.</P>

I also watched Titus. It downright nearly killed me. I've never read that play, and while it may be less dramatic than King Lear, it's certainly much more gruesome. It's also not the strongest performance by Hopkins, but nevertheless he's a pleasure to watch - one of my favorite actors.</P>

[/quote]</P>

That's disapointing (re: Seamless) but you're right, the Wenders film is such a pleasure to watch it stands asthe definitive "fashion" movie from an artistic perspective.</P>
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

Speaking of WW, I watched Faraway, So Close! last night for the first time and was rather mystified. While it had some great performances and moments, it didn't really capture a mood as well as Wings of Desire. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the narrative and its relation to the overall them of "Time." [:^)]
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]Speaking of WW, I watched Faraway, So Close! last night for the first time and was rather mystified. While it had some great performances and moments, it didn't really capture a mood as well as Wings of Desire. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the narrative and its relation to the overall them of "Time." [:^)]
          [/quote]</p>

I'll have to watch that. Wings of Desire is brilliant though...</p>
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Yes, do. I found it most puzzling. But I wanted to see in because I so love Wings of Desire, which has that same gentleness as the Yohji film.
            </p>

BTW, did you know that Solveig Donmartin died in January of this year? [:(] She was only 45.....
            </p>
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Yes, do. I found it most puzzling. But I wanted to see in because I so love Wings of Desire, which has that same gentleness as the Yohji film.
              </p>

BTW, did you know that Solveig Donmartin died in January of this year? [:(] She was only 45.....
              </p>

[/quote]</p>

I had no idea, actually. That's so young!</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Ok, so I know I'm some years late, but recently I watched In the Mood for Love and 2046, and both were interesting, gorgeous films. In the Mood for Love was somewhat better, less disjointed than 2046. It seemed at a few points that he didn't know exactly where to take 2046, unless I misunderstood something.
                </p>

Wong Kar-wai's eye for color is just unbelievable. I also like his shots of people pacing. And the costumes are insane, too - gorgeous dresses, especially on the main character in In the Mood for Love.
                </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                  • Sep 2006

In The Mood for Love is one of my all time favourites movies, in fact i teach a class of history of the cinematographic image and a whole chapter is the analysis of Wong Kar-Wai movies, the details of the woman bags and the man ties and the way they're attach to their increasing sentiments is just beautiful and poetic.

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Michel Serrault died yesterday and Ingmar Bergman today. :(

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]Michel Serrault died yesterday and Ingmar Bergman today. :([/quote]</p>

I saw, that's crazy. Especially Bergman, I can hear a collective gasp in the film academia. :-(</p>

The last two films I watched.</p>

</p>

Control Room - a documentary on how Al Jazeera covers the Iraq war and their points of view. I highly recommend if you want to see how the Arab world sees the war.</p>

All Quiet on the Western Front - quickly became one of my most favorite war films. A very strong portrayal of how war breaks people, and how it separates soldiers from the civilian society, about how it disillusions young men and ruins their trust in social contract. For a film made in 1930, it had amazing cinematography.
                      </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Fuuma"]Michel Serrault died yesterday and Ingmar Bergman today. :([/quote]</P>

I saw, that's crazy. Especially Bergman, I can hear a collective gasp in the film academia. :-(</P>

The last two films I watched.</P>
                        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Control Room - a documentary on how Al Jazeera covers the Iraq war and their points of view. I highly recommend if you want to see how the Arab world sees the war.</P>

All Quiet on the Western Front - quickly became one of my most favorite war films. A very strong portrayal of how war breaks people, and how it separates soldiers from the civilian society, about how it disillusions young men and ruins their trust in social contract. For a film made in 1930, it had amazing cinematography.
                        </P>

[/quote]</P>

Control room is great, very enlightening documentary (I'm, of course, a fan of All Quiet, great anti-war film!!)</P>

Comment

• mass
                          • Sep 2006

antonioni... ]:

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Fuuma"]Michel Serrault died yesterday and Ingmar Bergman today. :([/quote]</p>

I saw, that's crazy. Especially Bergman, I can hear a collective gasp in the film academia. :-(</p>

The last two films I watched.</p>
                            <p mce_keep="true"></p>

Control Room - a documentary on how Al Jazeera covers the Iraq war and their points of view. I highly recommend if you want to see how the Arab world sees the war.</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Control room is great, very enlightening documentary (I'm, of course, a fan of All Quiet, great anti-war film!!)</p>

[/quote]</p>

Coincidentally, next day I was listening to an NPR program on Al Jazeera. Apparently their office was bombed by American troops elsewhere, and the US are holding one of their journalists at Guatanomo. Ahem...</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
                              • Apr 2007

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Servo2000"]I just finished This Is England and Drawing Restraint 9. I figured for all the talking up my friends been doing about the movie I might as well give that Barney fellow a shot.
                              <DIV><BR class=khtml-block-placeholder></DIV>
                              <DIV>There were some intriguing elements, but I couldn't handle the Tea Ceremony scene. I imagine that it could've been really powerful if I had been more interested in the film as a whole, there was some really interesting tension, but as it was it was just grueling since I was rather non-commited to it as it was. Anyone else seen it? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.</DIV>
                              <DIV><BR class=khtml-block-placeholder></DIV>
                              <DIV>Also, I can think of fewer and fewer good reasons not to just spend all of my money on Fred Perry these days (slight exaggeration).</DIV>

[/quote]</P>

I think he's nothing but a coarse sensationalist.</P>

[/quote]</P>

i've had the cremaster series sitting on a hard drive foryears and have never had the urge to bother watching it. it makes for a good spectacle, but the end result is meaningless. he's certainly shown that the meaningless of our actions in life can be represented by massive exertion to no clear end.his ideas are just the usual art-talk drivel and thefact that he's gotten rich off of this stuff kind of makes mefurious about the whole thing. i certainly can't deny his talents but it seems that he's been seduced by the star machinery of film.</P>

Comment

• drexl
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="mass"]antonioni... ]:[/quote]</p>

Aww man, I just watched La Notte a few days ago. Losing Bergman and Antonioni in the span of two days just sucks...
                                </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎