X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

I saw Gravity in IMAX 3D yesterday. I can't imagine seeing this film any other way. The whole movie is one big effect that centers around the vastness and isolation of space. I can't see how this experience can be conveyed on an ordinary screen. I don't usually go to theatres to see movies but I had a hunch that this flick would only work in IMAX 3D. If I had downloaded & watched this at home I don't know if I could have made it through the whole thing.

$21.50 & 90 mins well spent.

technology in movie making can be amazing if done right. I know nothing about acting or filmmaking but I would imagine that it must be extremely difficult to play a role where all the effects and "scenery" are put in afterwards.. Bullock does a nice job; pretty remarkable actually.

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

Originally posted by jackg View Post
      I also watched "Only God Forgives" which I thought was absolutely awful! Anyone else have a similar experience?
      Oh thank God I am not alone in this. What a terrible film, I was so annoyed by it. Winding Refn has undoubtly talent, Valhalla Rising was amazing. This was just a plot-free waste of money.

Saw Beasts of the Southern Wild the other day, a little late I know, but what a film!
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

I couldn't make it thru Only God Forgives. I have "Beasts" but never watched... I guess I should.

Comment

• snafu
          • Apr 2008

I thought it was terrible also, as far as the previous page goes i hated a scanner darkly also.

As far as anything i recently liked "Jagten" i thought was really good & i found "the dirties" pretty good for such a low budget film and for a young director: it wasn't the best thing iv seen but worth a watch.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
            I couldn't make it thru Only God Forgives. I have "Beasts" but never watched... I guess I should.
            Easily last year's best film.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jackg View Post
              I thoroughly enjoyed "The Proposition" when I watched it! Suitably dark and brooding. One of the better representations of the outback, the other one that springs to mind is "Wake In Fright"....... my recent viewing:

The latest Desplechin (Jimmy P) is also very interesting if you care about psychoanalysis.
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Watched The Place Beyond the Pines. It was alright but it ain't no Blue Valentine.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• OliverG
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                  The latest Desplechin (Jimmy P) is also very interesting if you care about psychoanalysis.
                  How is it I've never heard of this director? And I spend so much time in France as well... thanks for the recommendation, will def be checking these out...

Comment

• Tafkap
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Watched The Place Beyond the Pines. It was alright but it ain't no Blue Valentine.
                    loved both films. i think derek cianfrance is one of the greatest american directors and eagerly look forward to all of his work.
                    Speaking of dp Sean Bobbit's great work, I saw 12 years a slave last night...
                    without giving much away, the only way i can describe it in a word is dark. Probably the darkest movie I've ever seen.
                    Fassbender is outstanding. Not your typical McQueen movie.
                    It wasn't what I expected...he paints this picture of how miserable not just the slaves were but everyone. (Obviously not nearly as hellish as the slaves, but what a dark dark dark dark time)
                    At no point did I feel like I was watching a movie - all of the actors are as believable as if I were watching something real.

Comment

• jackg
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                      thanks for the reminder fuuma! i had downloaded it (upon your initial recommendation) but hadn't got around to watching it. it shall be next on my list.

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by OliverG View Post
                        How is it I've never heard of this director? And I spend so much time in France as well... thanks for the recommendation, will def be checking these out...
                        Well do you spend it with french people into cinema? I mean he's certainly known by movie buffs abroad and quite well known in France but it's not like his name will come up if you're with 5 Scandinavians at a café during fashion week or whatever.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

I'd recommend a French film called "Les Salauds" "Bastards" directed by Claire Denis. Dark and encapsulating film about an underground culture of sex circles in France.

Also, the entire soundtrack is by the Tindersticks and their remake of "Put your love in me" is pretty fucking great too.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D__eY2cVF5k

Comment

• gin soaked boy
                            • May 2012

One for the Tarkovsky-addicts:
                            http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/fe...y-a-tarkovsky/
                            "Das Getöse war absolut geworden, man hörte es nicht mehr."
                            (E. Jünger)

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                              I'd recommend a French film called "Les Salauds" "Bastards" directed by Claire Denis. Dark and encapsulating film about an underground culture of sex circles in France.

Also, the entire soundtrack is by the Tindersticks and their remake of "Put your love in me" is pretty fucking great too.

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D__eY2cVF5k
                              While you're at it watch L'intrus/The intruder, also by Claire Denis. It's an adaptation of philosopher Jean-Luc Nancy essay's about his heart transplant.

Comment

• Liquid
                                • Jul 2009

"The Pervert's Guide to Ideology" is now at IFC in new york, and in a bunch of other cities too. Check out a trailer to see if it's your thing.
                                Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎