X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jtothewhat
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Verdandi View Post
    I saw the new Mad Max yesterday. Was exactly as advertised: Explosions, movement for movements sake, more vehicles exploding, the bad guy having a heavy metal battle band that followed him around, Charlize Theron kicking everyone's ass. did I mention things exploding?
    Mad Max was enjoyable, obviously the story wasn't compelling but I thought that it was well executed on a number of levels. The cinematography was great in some spots, and I really liked the overall colours and tones of the film.. The attention to detail in the world in terms of props, costumes, and makeup was very impressive to me. Some characters that would appear on screen for a fleeting second had costumes that were extremely detailed and creative, and those little things made the film fun to take in.

I also recently watched Ex Machina, Alex Garland's (28 days later, The Beach) directorial debut.. Again I thought it was very well executed although in what seems like a sea of movies and literature that has popped up on the topic of AI in the past couple of years it failed to offer any really unique perspective. Has anyone else had the chance to see it?

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

I saw it when it came out in the UK and was quite impressed considering it was a directorial debut. And I was very entertained while I watched it. Nothing much stayed with me though.

Finally got round to watching Chef. What a curious film. I was waiting for a turning point in the second act (if the film even had acts) but it was just enjoyable until the end. Especially if you like food. Again, not much stayed with me beyond the fact that I need to see New Orleans soon.
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jtothewhat View Post
        Mad Max was enjoyable, obviously the story wasn't compelling but I thought that it was well executed on a number of levels. The cinematography was great in some spots, and I really liked the overall colours and tones of the film.. The attention to detail in the world in terms of props, costumes, and makeup was very impressive to me. Some characters that would appear on screen for a fleeting second had costumes that were extremely detailed and creative, and those little things made the film fun to take in.
        I still cannot get over the fact that Anthony Lane gave it a positive review in the New Yorker. WHAT.THE.FUCK. The end of the Internet.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• HugAndWug
          • Aug 2014

I also recently watched Ex Machina, Alex Garland's (28 days later, The Beach) directorial debut.. Again I thought it was very well executed although in what seems like a sea of movies and literature that has popped up on the topic of AI in the past couple of years it failed to offer any really unique perspective. Has anyone else had the chance to see it?
          How wasn't the story of Fury Road compelling?

And yeah Ex Machina was enjoyable, minor issues here and there but it was better than anything else out this year so far.

Comment

• imblurredout
            • Apr 2013

The attention to detail in the world in terms of props, costumes, and makeup was very impressive to me. Some characters that would appear on screen for a fleeting second had costumes that were extremely detailed and creative, and those little things made the film fun to take in.
            That's exactly how I felt. As much as it was really just a two hour car chase, the details in set design and costume were astounding. It's better than any other action/sci-fi movie I've seen recently.

Ex Machina had some interesting points, but it was ultimately a little flat. I thought the limited budget and cast made for a good movie, but the narrative wasn't very suspenseful or surprising. It does spark up an interesting conversation of AI, technology, and social media.

Comment

• Jun 2014

Mad Max's opening scene with its rapid cuts and cartoonish jerky choreography had me on the edge of my seat. And for the remaining two hours I don't think I sat back.

You have to hand it to Guy Norris' Evel Knievel-esque stunt work and Miller's dedication to practical-effects. There was no lazy shaky cam or smash editing. Just fluid movement with looping action and brilliant timing.

Miller takes a violent patriarchal dictatorship and gives us a revolutionary to identify with. Not only that they're a woman who happens to have a disability. As an audience we understand this is a world where women have no autonomy. Yet there's never a scene where a woman is violently subjugated (looking at you Game of Thrones).

Our female protagonist isn't being saved by a man, she's not seeking revenge for a man. She was raised by a matriarch and is here to rescue women. Point blank.

Story isn't absent in Mad Max. But it is really important that we discuss why we don't think this type of story or these types of characters are compelling.

Comment

• 550BC
                • Jan 2013

I enjoyed both movies Mad Max and Ex Machine as well.

It may become a Sci-Fi classic of the current era. However noticed a lot of aspects were taken from Ghost In The Shell and also Her maybe
                a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 1994 View Post
                  Mad Max's opening scene with its rapid cuts and cartoonish jerky choreography had me on the edge of my seat. And for the remaining two hours I don't think I sat back.

You have to hand it to Guy Norris' Evel Knievel-esque stunt work and Miller's dedication to practical-effects. There was no lazy shaky cam or smash editing. Just fluid movement with looping action and brilliant timing.

Miller takes a violent patriarchal dictatorship and gives us a revolutionary to identify with. Not only that they're a woman who happens to have a disability. As an audience we understand this is a world where women have no autonomy. Yet there's never a scene where a woman is violently subjugated (looking at you Game of Thrones).

Our female protagonist isn't being saved by a man, she's not seeking revenge for a man. She was raised by a matriarch and is here to rescue women. Point blank.

Story isn't absent in Mad Max. But it is really important that we discuss why we don't think this type of story or these types of characters are compelling.
                  I haven't seen it yet, but I highly doubt that feminist themes will be at the forefront of this action film's audience.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mezeinee
                    • Apr 2015

The Lover, is so amazing. I have the DVD which I must have watched like 30 times. But I would also very much recommend 'La Petite Voleuse' with Charlotte Gainsbourg and 'Jeune et Jolie' with Marine Vacth. Both movies are similar to The Lover.
                    https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

Saw Birdman. Plot is pretty basic/ generic, but the way it was shot, as if done in one shot, is amazing. The soundtrack works perfectly with it. Definitely not best movie of the year though.

Would recommend just for it's freshness of style. Was also surprised by how short it was compared to how crazy long movies typically are now.
                      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• trentk
                        • Oct 2010

“The thrill of acting is making a character real, modeling is the opposite of real. It’s being fake in front of the camera.” - Cara Delevigne

Thoughts on reality/(ir,un)reality as applied to acting vs modeling anyone?

While modeling can (more easily than acting) fake things, I think it can also get at the heart of things that acting can't, much as poetry can get at the heart of things that prose can't. Also, modeling can explore visuo-aesthetic worlds which are not yet accessible via acting and (in some cases) perhaps never will be, much as experimental music can explore affective worlds which are not yet and (in some cases) perhaps never will be tied to "meaning". Modeling's capacity to fake things is just a side-effect of its more fundamental capacity to generate new realities.

[Posting this here since a cinema thread on a fashion forum seems like a good place to discuss acting vs modeling, and I'm worried this would get buried in the randomness thread.]
                        "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Mezeinee
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                          While modeling can (more easily than acting) fake things, I think it can also get at the heart of things that acting can't, much as poetry can get at the heart of things that prose can't. Also, modeling can explore visuo-aesthetic worlds which are not yet accessible via acting and (in some cases) perhaps never will be, much as experimental music can explore affective worlds which are not yet and (in some cases) perhaps never will be tied to "meaning". Modeling's capacity to fake things is just a side-effect of its more fundamental capacity to generate new realities.
                          I think your distinction comes down to naturalistic vs. poetic. Though I don’t see why acting as such can’t be poetic (take Gena Rowlands in ‘A woman under the influence’). Just has to do with films telling stories, which needs conventions and believable characters. Actors can’t just be ‘modeling’ around for 90 mins.

Comment

• trentk
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mezeinee View Post
                            I think your distinction comes down to naturalistic vs. poetic. Though I don’t see why acting as such can’t be poetic (take Gena Rowlands in ‘A woman under the influence’). Just has to do with films telling stories, which needs conventions and believable characters. Actors can’t just be ‘modeling’ around for 90 mins.
                            To an extent, it does, but I prefer to keep the acting vs modeling distinction:
                            1. b/c I think modeling is inherently more sensually abstract (modulo certain poetic aspects of acting).
                            2. mindbending abstract reaches of mathematics, romantic quests for quantum gravity, exotic deep sea organisms etc are no less natural than that which one finds in naturalistic literature and theater.

There is more work/contribution from an actor than from a model, but considering the activities as totalities, I don't think any less work goes into photographing, designing garments, styling, filming short pieces etc.. than goes into a film. (Not that you said less work goes into that activity as a whole, just pointing it out).
                            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Mezeinee
                              • Apr 2015

I did and I cried. So good and so sad.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Subjected myself to American Sniper (I have high tolerance for movies while on a airplane). Sucked.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎