Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

and have some potato-based snacks on hand before starting to watch the Turin Horse.

I think of that movie whenever I eat a boiled potato, which is rare

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      My recommendation is to stock up on Red Bull.
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Arkady
        • Apr 2011

Yeah echoing the need for stimulants, though I quite loved Uncle Boonmee and thought there was something very unique there.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
          • Sep 2015

I won't be surprised if I have to pace them out over a couple of days. It's a good thing I can't afford to buy Sátántangó.
          who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

On a more serious note, if you want additional Easter European cinema bragging rights, then you should watch the films of Emir Kusturica.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              On a more serious note, if you want additional Easter European cinema bragging rights, then you should watch the films of Emir Kusturica.
              Thank you, Faust! Yeah, I'm just trying to explore things outside of Western cinema.

Comment

• ronin
                Banned
                • Dec 2009

I loved Uncle Boonmee. Gorgeous film, both sensorially immersive and meditative. If you have the time, you might want to brush up on the history of Thailand, I missed many references the first time around. I know next to nothing about Thai culture, for examples the TV shows to which there are references throughout the movie, but I enjoyed it regardless. Be sure to watch the two short movies he made prior to the film, Letters to Uncle Boonmee (which builds some background) and Phantoms of Nabua (more abstract, featuring one of the early video installations made for the Primitive project of which Uncle Boonmee is part), they're intended to be seen as a whole.
                I don't know why so many people found it boring. Sure there are many slow / long shots, but few are static, there's often an element in motion (a character/animal, water, smoke...à la Kurosawa), the big exception being the pictures sequence towards the end, but in a movie dealing with recollection it is absolutely justified. When there is none, the use of sound plays that part. Sound is crucial to build the potent atmosphere, so I suggest you watch it with good headphones if you can. The use of different filming styles also gives the movie a specific dynamic, very fitting with the theme of tranformation/transmutation. (Slow shots and a consistent style do no equal to boring by any means, what I meant is that it is a much easier movie to watch by average Western standards that those of many other directors).
                I haven't seen Tropical Malady yet, maybe I'll rent it sometime this week.

Now Satantango is something else. It's one of the few (good) movies I regret having seen in a theater. I'm grateful for the cinema screen of course, but the mandatory breaks were too long and blurred the very peculiar distortion of time brought by the movie. It was still an incredible, overwhelming experience, albeit a tough one to live in public, the tone being very pessimistic and bleak, not that I mind it but I prefer delving into this kind of work on my own. I'd like to watch it again alone at my own pace, the well-defined sequences making it easy to take short breaks when necessary without losing the mood. If you're looking into your first Béla Tarr movie, a while ago someone here advised me to begin with the Wreckmeister Harmonies, which I did, and it was indeed a perfect introduction to his cinema. But I know a few people who started with The Turin Horse and then went on to older movies, which also worked.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                  • Sep 2015

Werckmeister is on my nightstand, along with Damnation and Almanac of Fall - that's the one I thought about starting with. I'll look in to getting The Turin Horse soon enough. With school, I don't have time (or mindset) to devote to anything I enjoy so come winter break it's showtime. I've got Perfect Blue, Paprika, Ghost in the Shell ARISE 3 & 4, The Three Colors Trilogy, Before The Rain sitting with them, too. I'm planning on rewatching The Killing, Mulholland Drive, Taste of Cherry and Homicide as well.

Comment

• Shadowvault
                    • Oct 2014

I think i am more of a Guy Ritchie person.I also like movies with crazy plot twists like the prestige.Soundtrack plays an extremely part on the film IMO .but if you are into WTF movies i suggest to check the movies from McDonagh brothers

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                      • Apr 2013

anyone have any time to see the work of the brothers quay?
                      Originally posted by unwashed
                      Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                      Originally posted by Ahimsa
                      I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

I've seen quite a few: many of their shorts, and both their feature-length films (Institute Benjamenta and The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes)

Why?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Finally got around to watching The Night Porter. Can someone explain what the big deal is? I mean outside that it was done in 1974 and probably had more of an impact then.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• round
                            • Aug 2015

trumbo was fucking incredible, go see it

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

Saw The Hateful Eight last week and it's really long and really good. Nice to see him work without all the stylistic layering and focus on the narrative and the characters.
                              Also watched A Pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence and loved it a lot. Felt like a series of Crewdson pictures with bizarre plots in each.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                                • Sep 2010

Lots of great stuff out lately.

AMY
                                Mediterrenia
                                Tangerine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰