• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
    Does Blue Velvet rate above Mulholland Drive in your books? I've only seen the latter and am considering whether or not I should watch the former sooner rather than later...
    Lost Highway above either one.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
      • Jul 2013

Here is another big fan of Lost Highway and I would also rank it higher than the mentioned ones. All three are well-worth watching again (and again) though.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
        • Sep 2015

Lost Highway is actually my favorite of his as well! This is so weird to see since the people I know who know of Lynch usually just say Twin Peaks is their favorite thing of his.
        who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• BlacknWhite
          • Apr 2014

Recently watched The Lobster, The Force Awakens, and best of all, True Romance.

The Lobster: Don't bother. Movie's message on relationships in society turns into one debacle half way through.

The Force Awakens: It was alright. Many scenes in the movie were reminiscent and really just a new take on iconic scenes from the original three movies. I may have been more satisfied if it weren't for all the major spoilers that came my way through gifs and memes on social media.

True Romance: Great movie from start to finish. Probably my favorite Tarantino film by far. Not a fan of cut a ways in action, but the shoot out at the end was great, and the Sicilian scene stood on its own.

Comment

• Brokenaura
            • Jul 2007

I'm sure there are more than a few fans of Andrzej Zulawski's films here. His final film, adapted from the Gombrowicz novel is finally getting a wider release. looking forward to seeing this.

He who has rejected his demons badgers us to death with his angels

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Finally watched Only Lovers Left Alive. It was Ok. Nice, aesthetically, but really did nothing for me. Jarmusch is one of those cultural figures I'm supposed to like, but I don't.

Actually, might be a good idea for a thread.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Finally watched Only Lovers Left Alive. It was Ok. Nice, aesthetically, but really did nothing for me. Jarmusch is one of those cultural figures I'm supposed to like, but I don't.

Actually, might be a good idea for a thread.
                Felt the same about the film, but not about Jarmusch in general. His early work, Down by Law, Stranger than Paradise, Permanent Vacation etc were very forming cultural influences for me.
                But definitely a great idea for a thread, will be very subjective if we just list the things but could lead to some interesting analysis...
                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Launched!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• resolution653
                    • Nov 2013

Haven't watched anything recent this year, but will make an effort to see this at first chance.

Comment

• Arkady
                      • Apr 2011

What a lazy-ass, enthymemetic pile of 2009 tumblr runoff that Neon Demon was. I smell a tourist.

Comment

• Dropt
                        • May 2009

Would recommend seeing Eye in the sky. Pleasantly surprised, great underlying tension and doesn't bathe (too much) in pathos.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                          • Sep 2015

The Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble's going on this month. Have any of you gotten anything from it? I got The Leopard, The Player, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Thin Blue Line, Gates of Heaven/Vernon FL, and Close Up thus far.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I don't see the point of buying DVDs/B-Rays anymore, even as beautifully done as Criterion.

Watched The End of the Tour, a film based on a book of a journalist who was writing a profile on David Foster Wallace at the end of the Infinite Jest tour. This indie film went under the radar for most, but I think it was great.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              I don't see the point of buying DVDs/B-Rays anymore, even as beautifully done as Criterion.
                              Hmm. Ok, I'll bite. Why?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ADreamofBlue View Post
                                Hmm. Ok, I'll bite. Why?
                                Simply because virtually everything is available for streaming. I will still buy music on CD because unlike films, you can listen to the same album hundreds of times, and I buy art and literature books, but I haven't bought a DVD/B-Ray since Netflix has come of age. Maybe I am just not as much of a cinephile. But, I am all ears if you have a good reason for buying films in physical format.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎