• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikko
    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by round View Post
    Saw The Hateful Eight, holy fuck...

Yes yes, almost as disappointing as The Revenant...

Comment

• mikko
      • Apr 2013

Any recommendations for good horror films, I think I have seen most if not all of them, but hopefully someone can help out.

Also looking for dystopian movies similar to Brazil.
      For first http://letterboxd.com/film/we-are-still-here/

For second, hope you've seen Children of Men? Best one made.

Comment

• SpaceCowboy
        • Feb 2014

Just got round to watching When Marnie Was There, possibly Studio Ghibli's last movie and damn did i love it. Anyone who's a fan of their work definitely give it a watch. For me one of their best films to date.

Comment

• unwashed
          • Dec 2008

Still need to watch the previous two, last one from Ghibli I watched was Secret of Arriety.
          Grailed link

Comment

• Mezeinee
            • Apr 2015

Knock knock, by Eli Roth. I kept comparing it with Hard Candy and Funny Games. Maybe Eli Roth should just stick to gore and the appropriate amount of psychology.
            https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• round
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mikko View Post
              For first http://letterboxd.com/film/we-are-still-here/

For second, hope you've seen Children of Men? Best one made.
              Saw we are still here, I will have to check out Children of Men, the title sounds familiar, can't remember if I have seen it or not.

@Faust watched Delicatessen, loved it.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Cool. Children of Men is phenomenal. I only did not recommend it because aesthetically it's different from Brasil. Cuaron is a genius.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• round
                  • Aug 2015

Watched Children of Men, thanks for the suggestion, I can't believe I hadn't seen it sooner, I loved it

Comment

• mikko
                    • Apr 2013

Watched Children of Men, thanks for the suggestion, I can't believe I hadn't seen it sooner, I loved it

Comment

• mikko
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Cuaron is a genius.
                      Each to his own I guess but I can hardly concur.

Children Of Men just clicks at almost every aspect (even Charlie Hunnam is passable!), everything he's done before and after pale in comparison. Gravity was really, really overhyped, nice DOP and visual effects but the story was just not there. Y Tu Mama Tambien was okay.

What else (don't think I'll bother with his 90s movies)? Honestly don't remember which was his story in Paris, je t'aime and didn't bother to get into Harry Potter

Comment

• mikko
                        • Apr 2013

Saw we are still here
                        What did you think about it? I think it was a solid throwback/nod to 70s supernatural horror films, especially in the vein of Italian directors of the day. Really liked the restraint in the storytelling compared to most recent horror/suspense movies. The couple doing 70s Jack Nicholson and Angelica Houston impersonations were very distracting though!

Comment

• round
                          • Aug 2015

What did you think about it? I think it was a solid throwback/nod to 70s supernatural horror films, especially in the vein of Italian directors of the day. Really liked the restraint in the storytelling compared to most recent horror/suspense movies. The couple doing 70s Jack Nicholson and Angelica Houston impersonations were very distracting though!
                          I found the couple to be quite awkward, but overall I liked the story and the restraint as well, much less fast-paced and jump-scarish than most horror movies of late.

Comment

• unwashed
                            • Dec 2008

Finally crossed Oldboy of my list. Damn what a crazy trip that was. Very good movie.
                            Grailed link

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Each to his own I guess but I can hardly concur.

Children Of Men just clicks at almost every aspect (even Charlie Hunnam is passable!), everything he's done before and after pale in comparison. Gravity was really, really overhyped, nice DOP and visual effects but the story was just not there. Y Tu Mama Tambien was okay.

What else (don't think I'll bother with his 90s movies)? Honestly don't remember which was his story in Paris, je t'aime and didn't bother to get into Harry Potter
                              His installment of Harry Potter was by far the best of the 8. They should've just let him direct the rest of them. The ones after it were good partly, in my opinion, because Cuaron's set the tone.

Gravity only worked, I strongly suspect, if you saw it in IMAX. But he said that was kind of the point, to make a film that would only work on big screen.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

... there isn't really supposed to be a plot in Gravity, it's a flight simulator and a proof of capability for Imax 3D technology -- if you're watching that type of thing on a laptop it makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎