Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

I'm rewatching Alien resurrection (the fourth one) special edition from the Alien quadrilogy box set (what the fuck did they invent a new word when tetralogy already exists, anybody can clue me in!!??). I hadn't really watched any of these movies since the box came out so I'm pretty stocked that they seem to have aged pretty well. Anyone has good sci-fi suggestion? I don't watch many new releases so there might have been a couple that I missed that have some potential. I tend to prefer cyber-punk/dystopian stuff a-la bladerunner and Alien to other genres.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

I haven't seen a good sci-fi film in in ages. Anime is better for that, although I much prefer an actual film. Have you seen Dark City? It's kinda funky.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gusgusterson
        • Mar 2007

Robocop, seriously. I liked Serenity, but then I also watched every episode of Firefly in one sitting.

Comment

• nycd
          • Oct 2006

I second the recommendation for Serenity - but, definitely, watch all of the Firefly episodes before.

In one sitting.

Really.

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

has anyone seen the new coen brothers film 'no country for old men'? i'm going to see it this weekend and it looks pretty awesome.
            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

^is that based on a Cormac McCarthy book? I saw some one reading the novel on the subway, but I couldn't see the author's name...
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• mass
                • Sep 2006

by the way i recommend (seriously) the van damme film 'cyborg'. interesting fact; the director albert pyun studied under kurosawa (of the akira variety) and was mentored by mifune and kurosawa's dp. anyway he was apparently in simultaneous pre-production of a spiderman movie as well as a sequel to masters of the universe when the production company ran out of money and both projects were cut short. he ended up using the already completed sets and costumes for both of the movies and made this.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="gusgusterson"]Suffered through Old Boy last week. All the debauchery, none of the emotional appeal. Oh and it was painfully stupid. I like Ken Loach films for the "this is not going to end well" raw mire because he brings a human element to the suffering. I don't think that's put well, but I'd rather watch Hostel than Lilija 4-ever and I wouldn't watch either. I constantly wonder if I can be interested in film and a bit of a prude simultaneously.
                  [/quote]</p>

But, what is the effect of seeing that human suffering on a viewer sitting comfortably in a art-film theater in Soho? That's what I am asking. </p>

I like Loach's films, too. I thought Sweet Sixteen was a really great film, and the Wind That Shakes the Barley, too. However, they don't hit you over your head with a hammer, the way Lilija 4-ever does.</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

A.O.Scott raises the same question in his review for "Reducted."
                  </p>

"...This horrific, premeditated act ? the rape of a teenage girl, who is
                  killed along with her family ? is based on a real atrocity that took
                  place in Iraq last year. (The insurgent bomb and the beheading that
                  frame this episode are also, obviously, grounded in reality.) The rape
                  also recalls ?Casualties of War,?
                  Mr. De Palma?s grievously misunderstood 1989 film about a similar
                  incident in Vietnam. Both films walk a delicate line between moral
                  investigation and exploitative sensationalism, and in both cases the
                  measure of Mr. De Palma?s artistic seriousness is his willingness to
                  ask not only what it means to take part in an act of murderous sexual
                  violence, but also what it means to represent it and to watch the
                  representation. </p>

The problem with ?Redacted? is that the representation is an
                  unwieldy hodgepodge of brutal naturalism and self-conscious
                  theatricality, its potential power undermined by schematic storytelling
                  and clumsy acting. What those handheld, low-definition recording
                  devices capture is less unvarnished reality ? or a persuasive
                  simulacrum of it ? than dinner theater or underrehearsed
                  made-for-television drama. </p>

The script stuffs the characters? mouths with talking points
                  that are no less schematic for being rendered in a profane, macho,
                  pseudomilitary vernacular. And most of the actors, many of them
                  appearing for the first time in a feature film, lack either the skill
                  or the directorial guidance to endow their characters with a full range
                  of credible motives and responses. </p>

Its formal novelty aside, ?Redacted? rarely hits the audience
                  with a genuine shock or a clarifying insight. It churns through a set
                  of ideas and emotions that are confusing and unpleasant, to be sure,
                  but also, by now, dispiritingly familiar. This is not entirely Mr. De
                  Palma?s fault, though I think he may have misdiagnosed the condition of
                  the audience, which is not lack of information about Iraq but rather a
                  pervasive moral and political paralysis. The information is out there ?
                  confusing and painful, yes, but nonetheless available for discussion
                  and analysis. </p>

And now what? What are we supposed to do? Support the troops?
                  End the war? Push ahead to victory? Stand up for what we believe? These
                  are slogans, not actions.</p>

Making a movie, of course, is a way of doing something, and I
                  am grateful that Mr. De Palma brought such conviction to the task.
                  ?Redacted? is certainly a painful document of its time, a record of
                  anguish, confusion and uncertainty. And if Mr. De Palma has in the end
                  failed to transcend those feelings or to address them with the clarity
                  and freshness of perspective that art requires and that the times so
                  desperately demand, the failure is hardly his alone."</p>

</p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tony
                    • Sep 2007

science de rêves

Comment

• sam_tem
                      • Apr 2007

this is england</P>

really well done movie and the casting, clothing, and locations were all great, but that's of course because this subject matter is very autobiographical for shane meadows. I've only seen this and his dead man's shoes film and after making this movie i thinkit's definitely time for shane meadows to start branching out and attempt something that is isn't so close to home or he's never going to make his mark. I'm not fond of how he builds things up and then emotionally shocks the audience. After using the same formula on his past two films it just feels a little trite at this point.</P>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Bourne Identity [83]</p>

I got it to test out the prowess of my HD DVD player. All I can say is "Whoa!" [:|]</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]I'm rewatching Alien resurrection (the fourth one) special edition from the Alien quadrilogy box set (what the fuck did they invent a new word when tetralogy already exists, anybody can clue me in!!??). I hadn't really watched any of these movies since the box came out so I'm pretty stocked that they seem to have aged pretty well. Anyone has good sci-fi suggestion? I don't watch many new releases so there might have been a couple that I missed that have some potential. I tend to prefer cyber-punk/dystopian stuff a-la bladerunner and Alien to other genres.[/quote]</p>

I Am Legend looks pretty good, no?
                          </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interman
                            • Dec 2006

Just watched Control. Great stuff, though I'm a fairly big Joy Division fan. Definitely recommended.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                              • Oct 2006

saw 'no country for old men' last week and it's easily the best movie i've seen this year. mind you i haven't seen too many new movies this year anyways, but it was awesome. i feel like i need to watch it again in order to find all of the themes and subtleties that the film had. A++++++++++++
                              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
                                • Aug 2007

i think Murnau's Sunrise, his first american film which won the first academy award for best film in 1929, under the category of unique and artistic production, is my favorite film of all time. surely the best film of 20's and the silent film era, despite the fact that the film was a commercial bust.
                                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎