X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

I love Daniel Day-Lewis. He is such an amazing actor! I mean, he can make even something like Gangs of New York watchable (for a while). I need to go see this. And, if he can also make shoes like he acts, he should work with Altieri.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
      • Jan 2007

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

have recently been visiting Wong Kar Wai's older works, saw As Tears Go By, which I believe was his directorial debut. His visual style was still not fully developed, but it was refreshing to see Andy Lau channeling Brando and another excellent performance from Jacky Cheung, compared to the comfortable mediocrity the two have settled into today...</P>

Also bought Chungking Express but haven't got a chance to watch that yet.</P>

Saw American Gangster yesterday, thought it was solid, the performances from the two leads made it watchable. Denzel'sportrayal of Lucasis my favorite mobster performance since Nicholson in Departed.Also Josh Brolin had a pretty nice turn as a corrupt cop. I was previously told by several people that the movie suffered from being too uneven, but I didn't really get that as the pacing was good. Kind of reminds me of Heat in the way a crime story unfolded through parallel character developments.</P>

Comment

• gusgusterson
        • Mar 2007

[quote user="matthewhk"]

Also bought Chungking Express but haven't got a chance to watch that yet.</p>

[/quote]</p>

I just watched this for the first time since it was in the theater. I had forgotten about it being a Rolling Thunder release, that intro doesn't age well. </p>

I love this movie. 90s indie before that became a bad thing.
        </p>

Comment

• sbw4224
          • Sep 2006

Just saw the Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Excellent movie.

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

[quote user="gusgusterson"][quote user="matthewhk"]

Also bought Chungking Express but haven't got a chance to watch that yet.</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

I love this movie. 90s indie before that became a bad thing.
            </p>

[/quote]</p>

90's indie before it became pandering, right wing anti-abortion irreverant crap a la juno. "middle america is really responding to the film" as to why the film made 16m in its first week
            </p>
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

90's indie before indie became fashionable and completely sunk anything indie about it. look at the amount of garbage being imported from overseas these days. one used to go to Angelica and was assured to see a great film because only best of the best was imported. now, it's "this film won the best costume award in [insert one of the numerous irrelevant film festivals here], it's a must see." die, hipster scum.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

that's funny. you're right, all the awards bestowed upon said film by the gazillions of festivals. how many important top ten lists are there now? "on over 150 top ten lists nationwide" WTF?
                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• gusgusterson
                  • Mar 2007

I had a friend that did programming for a film festival. Their criteria to include unsolicited submissions was that the entry fee check clear.

Edit: Because the above is hardly news, I really liked Once and Paris J'Taime, though I could have lived with a few less vignettes. Once is like so earnest it hurts, but I think really nice.

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

[quote user="gusgusterson"]I had a friend that did programming for a film festival. Their criteria to include unsolicited submissions was that the entry fee check clear.

Edit: Because the above is hardly news, I really liked Once and Paris J'Taime, though I could have lived with a few less vignettes. Once is like so earnest it hurts, but I think really nice.
                    [/quote]
                    <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I think Once is a very polarizing movie. To me, it felt very fake. To be perfectly honest and I mean no offense, but I thought it was absolutely horrible.</DIV>
                    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• gusgusterson
                      • Mar 2007

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="gusgusterson"]I had a friend that did programming for a film festival. Their criteria to include unsolicited submissions was that the entry fee check clear.

[/quote]
                      <div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>I think Once is a very polarizing movie. To me, it felt very fake. To be perfectly honest and I mean no offense, but I thought it was absolutely horrible.</div>

[/quote]</p>

I saw a few minutes of The Hills on an airplane a few weeks back and was totally confused by the explation that Mrs Gusterson offered that it was a reality show but not really a reality show. That's what Once felt like to me. I kept waiting for a character to get unfairly treated for having a dream or someone to hear the main characters music and not be totally spellbound or the kiss. I don't think I liked it because it strayed from convention, but because it wasn't anything other than this moment in their lives. I have to qualify all of this by saying that I have no tolerance for any sort of emotional pull in movies after after a particularly rough year. That is, the minute the score starts to swell a bit, I'm the saddest or the happiest guy in the room. It's annoying and kind of great at the same time - like if you'd never seen Braveheart and you were really drunk and really patriotic and all of the sudden Braveheart is on.
                      </p>

Comment

• matthewhk
                        • Jan 2007

saw My Blueberry Nights today...horrible movie. Wong Kar Wai should return to making local HK movies...the screenwriting and dialogue was very awkward, not surprising given English isn't Wong's first language, none of it flowed. Only thing that translated into his first Hollywood outing was his visual style, which was fine but couldn't carry the movie as the performances and everything else couldn't inspire the mood and sexual tension that attracted me to his other work. Natalie Portman was good though, I don't think I've liked her work this much since The Professional.

Comment

• gusgusterson
                          • Mar 2007

El Topo. Dude. Seriously.</p>

I somehow missed this when I was 15 and would have loved it.</p>

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

Just realized my father signed up for Netflix the other day and I've already got 70 movies in my queue. I rather wish they would come faster, I'm already watching the things as soon as they show up and shipping them out soon after and I still find myself stopping to rent two or three movies every couple of days. <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Just finished the first season of Twin Peaks, as well as Vengeance is Mine and Barton Fink. I thought Twin Peaks was fantastic, excited for the second season although I often hear that it's not as good as the first. </DIV>

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]Just realized my father signed up for Netflix the other day and I've already got 70 movies in my queue. I rather wish they would come faster, I'm already watching the things as soon as they show up and shipping them out soon after and I still find myself stopping to rent two or three movies every couple of days. <div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>Just finished the first season of Twin Peaks, as well as Vengeance is Mine and Barton Fink. I thought Twin Peaks was fantastic, excited for the second season although I often hear that it's not as good as the first. </div>

[/quote]</p>

Did you read the news?</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Servo2000"]Just realized my father signed up for Netflix the other day and I've already got 70 movies in my queue. I rather wish they would come faster, I'm already watching the things as soon as they show up and shipping them out soon after and I still find myself stopping to rent two or three movies every couple of days. <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Just finished the first season of Twin Peaks, as well as Vengeance is Mine and Barton Fink. I thought Twin Peaks was fantastic, excited for the second season although I often hear that it's not as good as the first. </DIV>

[/quote]</P>

Did you read the news? </P>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I would say that "going outside is for saps" but only four movies off of my now 100+ long list are on their "Watch Online" service, which makes me wonder the true quality of the offerings. I'm sure there's plenty of great work on there, but it looks like it might take some digging. </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Just started downloading "Funeral Parade of Roses" since it's not on Netflix, and am hunting for "Twenty-Four Eyes" at the suggestion of a friend.</DIV>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎