• mne
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by chandler View Post
      I recommend About Elly. Beautiful and thought provoking
      Thanks for the recommendation will check it out

Comment

• deadboy
        • Jul 2013

Saw Green Room last night. Tense, fun, beautifully shot and (low bar here) probably the most punk rock film I've ever seen.

Comment

• chandler
          • Jan 2011

Lo and behold by Herzog. Really terrific

Comment

• mne
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Watched The Big Short and Trumbo. Both excellent.
            I've watched The Big Short, excellent indeed. Thanks for the recommendation. On that note, have you seen Margin Call?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mne View Post
              I've watched The Big Short, excellent indeed. Thanks for the recommendation. On that note, have you seen Margin Call?
              No, I have not. Good? Too Big To Fail was a great documentary.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mne
                • Mar 2016

Has anyone seen High Rise?

I have and well, I get the whole concept of a dystopian reality, exaggerated hierarchism and all that, but it was just painful to watch.. i'm not talking about the violence and in-your-face misogyny but the incoherence of the plot, poor acting and trying too hard to be controversial. And what a waste of Jeremy Irons.. :/

thoughts anyone?

Comment

• mne
                  • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  No, I have not. Good? Too Big To Fail was a great documentary.
                  Yeah, it was interesting to see a different take on a global crisis through such a 'miniscule' keyhole, of one office, one cubicle, one man..

Comment

• Arkady
                    • Apr 2011

Margin Call was shite if you have any interest in finance -- insubstantial plot and frankly I'm not even sure a margin call occurred in the film.

High Rise I haven't checked yet, Wheatley is pretty brilliant as is the original book but I'm curious how the script turned out.
                    Last edited by Arkady; 05-04-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                      High Rise I haven't checked yet, Wheatley is pretty brilliant as is the original book but I'm curious how the script turned out.
                      It ranks pretty high in my all time favourite books and I think he did a good job of fitting it into a 90 minute script, but it can be baffling if you've not read the book (gathering this from people whom I saw it with). The transition to chaos just happens quite rapidly whereas in the book you can follow... In terms of production design, I thought it was great, some of the comping feels amateurish, but then again, it kind of helps separate the high rise from reality ( I guess ). All in all, great watch. Especially if you love Ballard.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                        • Sep 2015

Went to the Alamo to see Blue Velvet since it was the 30th anniversary. I hadn't seen that film in 5-6 years, and Lord it was so much more intense than I remember. It reminded me why David Lynch is my favorite director.
                        who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• mne
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                          Margin Call was shite if you have any interest in finance -- insubstantial plot and frankly I'm not even sure a margin call occurred in the film.

fair play, I admit my knowledge on finance is limited, it was more about seeing the bigger picture for me rather than going into financial technicalities with this film. Curious to find out what you thought about High Rise then ;)

Comment

• Ahimsa
                            Vegan Police
                            • Sep 2011

Saw Tale of Tales the other night. Was similar to The VVitch. Very little dialogue, full of imagery based scenes, horror/comedic at the same time. Was composed of a few tales that switched from one to another that ultimately intertwined. Very happy to see the darker approach to fairy tales again.

Had quite a few Norse mythology/saga references in there as well, though much more subtle than LoTR, for example.
                            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• GucciAmen
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ADreamofBlue View Post
                              Went to the Alamo to see Blue Velvet since it was the 30th anniversary. I hadn't seen that film in 5-6 years, and Lord it was so much more intense than I remember. It reminded me why David Lynch is my favorite director.
                              Does Blue Velvet rate above Mulholland Drive in your books? I've only seen the latter and am considering whether or not I should watch the former sooner rather than later...

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                                Does Blue Velvet rate above Mulholland Drive in your books? I've only seen the latter and am considering whether or not I should watch the former sooner rather than later...
                                I'm actually seeing Mulholland in 35mm at a theater in Dallas on the 20th, I believe? I haven't seen that film in six years or so, and I don't think I was able to finish it due to a friend coming over at a moment's notice... I don't remember much of it, so I can't exactly comment on it - I just remember it being extremely disorienting... I will say, however, Blue Velvet is arguably Lynch's most coherent work - give it a go.
                                who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎