• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
    What did u think of the sequel ? I think I'm one of the few that liked it. But partly because of situations at the time.
    Yes, I think you are in the minority. :-) It wasn't bad, but ITMFL was just so incredible, it was probably a hard act to follow.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• upsilonkng
      • May 2010

No doubt in the mood is an all time classic not just in tone but dresses and context. I think I really liked the sequel as well because I saw in my one year as an adult that I was single so I liked the space girls imagery. Also all of his movies are similar in that longing is always the theme.

Comment

• matglenn
        • Jun 2016

Heres a little clip of "the rules" from the Dogme 95 Avant Garde film movement in the 90's. Having not know of this before watching Lars Von Triers' films as well as a few others caused a small epiphany! I suggest watching the full documentary if you're a fan.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

So, I ate my own words and bough a Blu-Ray last week, haha. Apparently, In the Mood for Love is not available for streaming, and it's so gorgeous that I bought the disc.

Originally posted by ADreamofBlue View Post
          I wouldn't say everything is available for streaming, legally that is. This applies to the "artsier" side of film duly. Mind you, I don't pirate/torrent. Streaming can still be lossy, and you always need a stable internet connection. Streaming sites can also still be lacking in their selection, which is why I'll only have a Netflix account for a month then cancel it until another year goes by when they upload a season of a show I care about.

My friend, whose knowledge of cinema is that of a savant's, will recommend me films and I trust his judgment which leads to blind buys on Criterion and the like. If I truly love a film, I'll keep it around; i.e. if I see myself wanting to return to it for many years to come. However, I have no trouble selling them off if I don't like something I've bought. I've also come to appreciate all the special features and the booklets included. I view my purchasing of these discs as a more solid form of support to the companies who license these properties for NA distribution.

It makes less sense to purchase CDs and books by your rationale because they're virtually all available in the form of streams or eBooks, no? I think mileage varies though, from person to person, as you point out. I perhaps don't have a good reason, other than my like of tangibility and the sheer convenience of just pulling out a disc and putting it in a player. Tangibility is the same reason why I still buy CDs and physical books.

EDIT: I'm not sure if you're strictly talking about the availability of media online, or the convenience of paying a monthly fee for a streaming site.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

I AM SO UPSET.

I was praying for development hell.
            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Come one, you knew they'd fuck it up. Start lowering your expectations.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• NOHSAD
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post

I AM SO UPSET.

I was praying for development hell.
                After watching the video... i'm glad i didn't get my hopes up for this. Like Faust said, We'd all knew they were going to fuck this up from the get go. Favorite Youtube comment on this trailer "Fuck. This. SHIT. This isn't GiTS, this is a fucking Bjork video."
                "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• NOHSAD
                  • Nov 2014

It's clear this is paying homage to the original GiTS movie. It might be the trailers, but it looks....boring.
                  "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Come one, you knew they'd fuck it up. Start lowering your expectations.
                    I mean I'm surprised it got made at all. Pretty sure Akira is next (-suicide-)

Originally posted by NOHSAD View Post
                    It's clear this is paying homage to the original GiTS movie. It might be the trailers, but it looks....boring.
                    If it doesn't at least have some tachikoma banter I can only imagine how dull.

Rinko Kikuchi would have been a solid casting. A tad obsessed with her after Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter

Comment

• NOHSAD
                      • Nov 2014

I mean I'm surprised it got made at all. Pretty sure Akira is next (-suicide-)

No. No. Fuck that, No. I don't know if an Akira Live action is in the works, but if it's not, then it should never become a reality. I am absolutely confident Hollywood will butcher the series to no end.

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by NOHSAD View Post
                        No. No. Fuck that, No. I don't know if an Akira Live action is in the works, but if it's not, then it should never become a reality. I am absolutely confident Hollywood will butcher the series to no end.
                        The live action Akira movie is currently courting a new director, in the form of Justin Lin who has recently helmed Star Trek Beyond. However, at this point it really does feel like Hollywood should just leave properties like Akira well alone.

It's currently in development hell with rights owned by Warner Bros, however, if GiTS does well...

Comment

• NOHSAD
                          • Nov 2014

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebar.../#69547489649d

It's currently in development hell with rights owned by Warner Bros, however, if GiTS does well...
                          Thanks Ahimsa for the article link. Here hoping (which is to say little) Hollywood at the end scraps the live action Akira movie and doesn't bother with it ever again. GiTS live action movie is more or less what the article said about Hollywood executives mindset to Akira; a cash grab while most likely having zero idea what made the series highly famous to begin with.

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

Comment

• Kœnig
                            • Jan 2015

Watched Christiane F. harrowing but nonetheless enjoyable, Bowie and footage of early 80s Berlin, I noticed the S-Bahn hasn't changed with those grimy yellow carriages. Also Audiard's The Beat That My Heart Skipped, somewhat predictable but the cast did a fine job.

Comment

• imho_essno
                              • Jun 2013

Planning to go to cinema for Kubo or to watch new Anthropoid movie.

I'm living in Prague and it will be interesting to see last interpretation of Heydrich assassination story.

Also want to re-watch first Mission Impossible movie for kinda same reason: half of the movie was shooter in Prague.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Watched The Revenant on my OLED and mind was blown again. Haters gonna hate - I remain an Inaritu fan.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎