X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

After watching the entire Planet Earth series, I came to a profound conclusion that all animals do is feed and fuck.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Faust, you should watch Winged Migration next. I thought it would be silly, but it's very beautiful and mesmerizing.
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]Faust, you should watch Winged Migration next. I thought it would be silly, but it's very beautiful and mesmerizing.
        [/quote]</p>

Love it, own it, seen it a dozen times, with my daughter too :-)</p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

I saw the palme d or winner "4 months, 3 days, and 2 hours" the Romanian abortion film. l'd like to know what ellen page thought of it, (the fact that that pandering right wing pro life film is nominated for anything tells you the state of hollywood.) anyway, the film is beyond incredible, i haven't watched a film in a long time where i felt like i was in the room w the characters feeling their paranoia, fear, and anxiety. the strength of that film is remarkable. chilling.
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Servo2000
            • Oct 2006

I need to find Juno online somewhere so I can watch it without paying for it and go beyond saying, "Well, the advertisements looked god awful, but no, I haven't seen the movie."
            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

no, servo, you need to find 4 months....dont waste your time w that other crap

Comment

• mass
                • Sep 2006

am back at home for some days and just found my super old copy of robert bresson's 'four nights of a dreamer', which basically looks like a bootleg of a bootleg of a vhs tape dubbed a hundred times over. the subtitles are so blown out i can barely read them. but i love this movie, sometimes even more than mouchette. also watched 'michael clayton' on the plane, which i thought it was meh, and fell asleep 5 minutes into 'into the wild.'

Comment

• nycd
                  • Oct 2006

I just watched La Jetée again - can't count the number of times I've watched this now.

All directors should be required to make a film entirely from stills. To be fair, they get one short shot with motion - as in this film.

But just one.

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

you are my size, and apparently we share the same taste as well. my favorite film. and the inspiration for the googles i wear here as philip nod.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

For those who haven't seen it yet... someone did a great job of uploading the whole shebang on youboobtube:</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RvmJan17q8</P>
                      <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• sam_tem
                        • Apr 2007

just watched Five Easy Pieces and loved it. ebert has apretty amazingreview of it online if anyone hasn't seen it before.</P>

i've been trying to go through american filmsfrom the late 60's/early 70's since most of my interest has been with foreign directors previously. i've seen some really good films (just saw king of marvin gardens yesterday) and hopefully i can round up some more classics.</P>

anyone know of a good resource to find out more about this period? additionally, anyone know where to find a list ofsome goodwesterns to see?</P>

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Ask Fuuma - he knows all.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nycd
                            • Oct 2006

i'd recommend the wild bunch by sam peckinpah

the opening with kids, scorpions and fire ants is not to be missed.

[quote user="sam_tem"]

just watched Five Easy Pieces and loved it. ebert has apretty amazingreview of it online if anyone hasn't seen it before.</P>

i've been trying to go through american filmsfrom the late 60's/early 70's since most of my interest has been with foreign directors previously. i've seen some really good films (just saw king of marvin gardens yesterday) and hopefully i can round up some more classics.</P>

anyone know of a good resource to find out more about this period? additionally, anyone know where to find a list ofsome goodwesterns to see?</P>[/quote]

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="sam_tem"]

anyone know of a good resource to find out more about this period? additionally, anyone know where to find a list ofsome goodwesterns to see?</P>

[/quote]</P>

Just go to a nice movie site like this one: http://www.theyshootpictures.com/and find pictures by directors who worked during that period. Go through the "1000 greatest american movies" or whatever, watch the stuff from that period and then move on to other films by the same directors. When you do that you'll look at what the cinematographers and actors have done and move on to that. It's like following links on the internetz, you start with the familiar then wander away like a wikipedia user that was looking for Boris Becker's championship wins and ends up learning about how romans would let fish sort of fester to producea delicious sauce used in many dishes.</P>
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• sam_tem
                                • Apr 2007

thanks for the link fuuma. i actually did what you suggested on allmusic last night and addeda bunch of stuff to my netflix qeue. netflix has a lot of these older films available to watch online which is really nice.</P>

i've been watching season3of always sunny in philadelphia today. this show ishilariousand i hope they release the dvd's soon since i couldn't find torrents for all of them.</P>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎