X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

not pretentious at all, matt - a very valid and evident interpretation. i just think that when you make such an obvious point... well, the point itself becomes less relevant than the presentation, you know? also, not sure that sociopath as a main character is the most strong way to present it - a "reasonable" (so to speak) man would be a stronger candidate. natural born killers in that respect seems to do a much more convincing job.
    </p>

i like the spoiler comment you made - very true, and i haven't thought about it.</p>

On a side note - has anyone seen The Counterfeiters? Thinking to go see it on Sunday.</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
      • Mar 2008

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="kira"][quote user="Faust"]

Awesome film. One of the few that left a real impression on me. Also made me discover Leonard Cohen [64]</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

Ahhh. Me too. Waiting for a Miracle- nice. love Everybody Knows too- Hard Harry played it on his underground radio station in Pump up the Volume, remember? Then, they played the Concrete Blonde version later towards the end of the film.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Yep, and I kept wracking my head about who the singer is, and couldn't find out until I picked up the NBK soundtrack. [Y]</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

He was just inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and he announced he is going on tour in June.</p>
      Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

YOU ARE KIDDING! LINK?!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
          • Mar 2008

http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/leonard-cohen</p>

and then this is from his website </p>

http://www.leonardcohen.com/</p>

ON THE HEELS OF INDUCTION INTO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME, LEONARD COHEN ANNOUNCES HIS FIRST TOUR IN 15 YEARS
          MARCH 11, 2008
          Immediately following his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel tonight, Leonard Cohen announced his world tour, marking a return to the live arena after 15 years. He is scheduled to open in Toronto on June 6 and 7, the city that gave birth to his career as a recording and literary artist, and then play Europe in the remainder of June, July, August and early September.

Cohen is arguably the greatest singer songwriter of modern times. At his induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, he was recognized by Lou Reed as, "Without question one of the most important and influential songwriters of our time, a figure whose body of work achieves greater mystery and depth as time goes one." Among those inducted with Cohen were Madonna, John Mellencamp The Dave Clark Five, and the Ventures.

His songs have been famously covered by the great and the good, each version a fascinating attempt to move closer to Cohen's enigmatic muse. From Judy Collins' "Suzanne" to Jeff Buckley's seminal rendition of "Hallelujah," Cohen's songs have traveled as far and wide as their author. U2, REM, Sting, Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright and the late Johnny Cash are among other famous devotees. It is estimated that his songbook has been covered over 1,330 times by other recording artists.

In 2008, Cohen's live tour will be as varied as his influence. He plays the UK's legendary Glastonbury Festival on June 29, for 150,000 fans. The Montreux Jazz Festival and Spain's Bennicasim are also stand out dates among arena shows at the O2 in London and more intimate dates such as Toronto's Sony Centre and the Manchester's Opera House in the UK. Rob Hallett from AEG Live said, "For many this tour will be the once in a lifetime opportunity to see the legend that is Leonard Cohen. We as a company are honored to bring this long rumored tour to reality across the globe."

In all, the tour will take in fans from intimate theatres to rock festivals proving the remarkable reach of Cohen's words and music across nations and generations. He will be joined by world renowned musicians: Roscoe Beck (bass &amp; vocals, music director) Neil Larsen (keyboard, accordion, brass instruments), Bob Metzger (guitar, steel guitar &amp; vocals), Javier Mas (acoustic guitar, oud &amp; misc. string instruments), Christine Wu (violin, viola, cello &amp; keyboard), Rafael Gayol (drums &amp; percussion) and Dino Soldo (keyboard, saxophone, wind instruments &amp; vocals).

Cohen has been a SONY/BMG recording artist for his entire career. He continues as an active songwriter with much anticipated new work that is planned for release later this year.

Cohen is beyond comparison and a true original, providing some of music and literature's most illuminating writing on love, sex, death and religion.

This is a world tour of epic proportions, but it is something even more than that. Leonard Cohen's eagerly anticipated return to the stage after all these years is nothing short of musical history in the making.

Leonard Cohen's World Tour Itinerary (as of 11-Mar-08)

06-Jun-08 Toronto Sony Centre For The Performing Arts

07-Jun-08 Toronto Sony Centre For The Performing Arts

14-Jun-08 Dublin IMMA

15-Jun-08 Dublin IMMA

17-Jun-08 Manchester Opera House

18-Jun-08 Manchester Opera House

19-Jun-08 Manchester Opera House

20-Jun-08 Manchester Opera House

23-Jun-08 Montreal Montreal Jazz Festival / Place des Arts

24-Jun-08 Montreal Montreal Jazz Festival / Place des Arts

25-Jun-08 Montreal Montreal Jazz Festival / Place des Arts

29-Jun-08 Glastonbury Glastonbury Festival

01-Jul-08 Oslo Aliset Stadium

03-Jul-08 Helsingborg Open Air

05-Jul-08 Copenhagen Rosenborg Castle

06-Jul-08 Arhuus Raadhus Parken

08-Jul-08 Montreux Montreux Jazz Festival

09-Jul-08 Lyon Festival

10-Jul-08 Bruges Cactus

12-Jul-08 Amsterdam Westendam

16-Jul-08 Edinburgh Castle

17-Jul-08 London The 02 Arena

19-Jul-08 Lisbon Passeio Maritimo

20-Jul-08 Bennicasim Festival

22-Jul-08 Nice Jazz Festival

24-Jul-08 Nyon Paleo Festival

25-Jul-08 Lorrach Stimmen Der Welt

27-Jul-08 Lucca Summer Festival

29-Jul-08 Athens Lykabettus Theatre

* Worldwide tour dates will continue to be announced within the coming weeks. Fans should visit http://leonardcohen.aeglive.com
          </p>

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Wow, I'm so there. Thank you, kira - best music news of the year for sure. I've been dreaming about this forever.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
              • Mar 2008

[B] [75] no NYC dates yet but I am sure they are to come...

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

Holy shit! That's worth flying for! I saw the last tour - 15 years ago - and it remains one of my best concert memories. That was back in the day when you could still smoke indoors and Leonard Cohen had a lit cigarette in his hand through the entire performance. He introduced Chelsea Hotel with this deadpan anecdote about telling Janis Joplin that he was Kris Kristofferson in the lobby of said hotel.
                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]Holy shit! That's worth flying for! I saw the last tour - 15 years ago - and it remains one of my best concert memories. That was back in the day when you could still smoke indoors and Leonard Cohen had a lit cigarette in his hand through the entire performance. He introduced Chelsea Hotel with this deadpan anecdote about telling Janis Joplin that he was Kris Kristofferson in the lobby of said hotel.[/quote]</p>

So true. Don't know where - to visit Fuuma, or my friend in London, or my friend in Dublin. There has to be like 15 new york concerts added though, no?</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

if an nyc concert will coincide with mrs. faust's bday in august - i will pray for leonard in whatever religion he wants me to.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

[quote user="Faust"]if an nyc concert will coincide with mrs. faust's bday in august - i will pray for leonard in whatever religion he wants me to.
                      [/quote]</p>

Last I checked it was Buddhism. He's got to play New York, no? Every time I make one of these hare-brained trips whatever the act-du-jour happens to be end up playing locally. </p>
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]Holy shit! That's worth flying for! I saw the last tour - 15 years ago - and it remains one of my best concert memories. That was back in the day when you could still smoke indoors and Leonard Cohen had a lit cigarette in his hand through the entire performance. He introduced Chelsea Hotel with this deadpan anecdote about telling Janis Joplin that he was Kris Kristofferson in the lobby of said hotel.[/quote]</p>

that, my friends, is some OG shit, some uniBALLER shit.</p>

</p>
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]

[quote user="Faust"]if an nyc concert will coincide with mrs. faust's bday in august - i will pray for leonard in whatever religion he wants me to.
                          [/quote]</p>

Last I checked it was Buddhism. He's got to play New York, no? Every time I make one of these hare-brained trips whatever the act-du-jour happens to be end up playing locally. </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yes, a Buddhist Jew - we are brothers, and he doesn't even know it. Yea, you'd think he must, but I've gotten burned before by Mr. Tom Waits. Anyway, I signed up for alerts, hopefully dates will come out soon.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
                            • Mar 2008

scheduled group outing to Leonard Cohen concert?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

totally [B]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
                                • Apr 2007

[quote user="philip nod"]

a friend of mine said the same thing about Eastern Promises. continuity and coincidence in the movies is tough, but most of the time i let it go. i mean how believable is the oscar winner? </P>

[/quote]</P>

i just hate how there's this genre of films like eastern promises and no country for old men that seem to be attempts at serious filmmaking but within thestrict boundaries of hollywood funding. it's almost like the oscars were created to rain down awards on movies like this. i thought no country was executed well and the cinematography was very good (at least in the first part of the film), but the plot and the characters were typical hollywood trash. all in all the movie was a waste of my time and i would have much ratherjust rewatched electraglide in blue or something.</P>

watching carnal knowledge right now and reflecting on how big of a joke hollywood is </P>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎