• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
    I'm also surprised no theorists have chimed in on why he'd create such a piece.

?

who knows, some of his influences are utterly random (like using the word safe) and some probably have a much deeper meaning.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Chant
      Banned
      • Jun 2008

wow.. pretty cool but I'm surprised he did anything that comical. really want details on the crush-able fabrics. layers? outer has to be kangaroo.
      I'm also surprised no theorists have chimed in on why he'd create such a piece. I work in health care.. too factual to give any insight.
      You should read the credits.
      In addition, there's always been a strong sens of humor in his creations.

Comment

• BSR
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post

?

who knows, some of his influences are utterly random (like using the word safe) and some probably have a much deeper meaning.
        there is no such thing as randomness
        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Chant
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

really want details on the crush-able fabrics. layers? outer has to be kangaroo.
          I'm also surprised no theorists have chimed in on why he'd create such a piece. I work in health care.. too factual to give any insight.
          The aluminium/leather fabric is a very CCPian fabric : soft and hard, rigid and flexible at the same time, that has its own shape, that could possibly mold the body like a soft armour, but will definitely not, especially when it's used for the dresses.
          As for the shoes, you can give it the shape you like, according to your foot specificities (always the same idea that, after a while and a kind of conflict between the wearer and his clothes, both could go along quite well), but it will complicate the walk though, like his shoes often do, because the aluminium/leather fabric can't hold its shape as well as if there were laces.
          Fabric by itself is fascinating, like a very old skin, skimmed through by hundred of small wrinkles.

Agree with BSR of course : ignoring the meaning of something doesn't make it random. You just have to think about it further.
          Last edited by Chant; 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• trentk
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by BSR View Post
            there is no such thing as randomness
            ?

are you thinking anything beyond "randomness always comes with certain non-random variables or bounds"?
            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• BSR
              • Aug 2008

you think the uncertainty principle applies to aesthetics?
              pix

Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• trentk
                • Oct 2010

you think the uncertainty principle applies to aesthetics?
                Deeper than the uncertainty principle, if we trace reasons back far enough, I think everything but contingency is contingent. I suppose for practical purposes, we don't need to trace reasons back so far, and we can say that randomness need not apply in mediums like menswear where the variables to play with are relatively limited.

Also:
                1. I'm less concerned with uncovering the artist's intent than I am with finding (or adding) interesting meaning in (/to) his work. Even if the artist had no intent in incorporating a certain element (it was random), I have no problem with finding meaning in it.
                2. Without something like randomness (where the reason for incorporating something is either non-existent or nearly impossible to decipher) wouldn't aesthetics be boring?
                "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                  Agree with BSR of course : ignoring the meaning of something doesn't make it random. You just have to think about it further.
                  errm random doesn't literally mean that there wouldn't any meaning. I meant that the influences can come from random sources, take for example SAFE taken out of a seatbelt buckle. So the crumbled shoes might as well be a take on plastic bags a hobo wears on his feet. Or not.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                    Deeper than the uncertainty principle, if we trace reasons back far enough, I think everything but contingency is contingent. I suppose for practical purposes, we don't need to trace reasons back so far, and we can say that randomness need not apply in mediums like menswear where the variables to play with are relatively limited.

Also:
                    1. I'm less concerned with uncovering the artist's intent than I am with finding (or adding) interesting meaning in (/to) his work. Even if the artist had no intent in incorporating a certain element (it was random), I have no problem with finding meaning in it.
                    2. Without something like randomness (where the reason for incorporating something is either non-existent or nearly impossible to decipher) wouldn't aesthetics be boring?
                    mmm... whereas i agree with the first half of your point 1, i'm not sure to understand what you mean by random then: an artist or anyone can act without any conscious intent, but it does not mean there is no intent at all, even if the author of the act is not aware of the nature of his/her intent.

@lowrey: ok, but random means random, and it's probably not a matter of pure chance if he selects those elements (that seem at first sight random, or 'various' in nature indeed) as sources of inspiration. the fact that his creations are aesthetically extremely coherent and definitely have an 'air de famille' (Familienähnlichkeit) is a strong argument against any randomness assumption regarding his sources of inspiration.
                    pix

Comment

• trentk
                      • Oct 2010

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]mmm... whereas i agree with the first half of your point 1, i'm not sure to understand what you mean by random then: an artist or anyone can act without any conscious intent, but it does not mean there is no intent at all, even if the author of the act is not aware of the nature of his/her intent
                      Agreed that no conscious intent does not necessarily mean no intent. Although, when I said I have no problem finding meaning outside of intent, I was thinking more along the lines of:
                      1. Objects exist independently their creators, they contain emergent properties that the creator did not necessarily intend. (Parents don't fully know their children.)
                      2. "A scientist challenged God to a creativity duel.

So God picked up some sand, blew into it and created man.

The scientist said, "Not bad. Now watch me do the same thing a little differently," Whereupon the scientist picked up some sand.

God stopped him and said, "Wait a minute. Before you start, get your own sand."" (No, I'm not a creationist. Just saying that the same concept applies to the materials - whether conceptual or physical - used to create art.)

Comment

• Pumpfish
                        • Sep 2010

Y'all know I'm at the shallow end of the CCPool.

Maybe he's just pissed off with people whining about the variable sizing of his OD footwear. Go fix yourself.
                        spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Lane
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by diorowen View Post

Ah, but i will be more interested in "blackening coat", where it makes me and the coat disappear in the darkness
                          I'd pay some big bucks for that. How awesome would it be to just unravel yourself in random places, lol.

Comment

• shawn
                            • Apr 2007

Video is HQ 720P , Like both pairs. Anyone knows what's the season white derby come from? Anywhere to get it...

Comment

• JetLag
                              • Jul 2008

Actually, crushable fabric using aluminium is not such a new concept.
                              Aluminium can be layered with any kind of textile to get this effect for clothing, even interior design ( http://www.core77.com/blog/milan10/m...oka__16468.asp ).
                              As far as I know, this is the first time this process is applied to shoes... to make them unwearable.
                              Originally posted by danman
                              If I could meet you in person I'd fuck you up and steal your PH you bitch. Fuck you and your site

Comment

• Chant
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by shawn View Post
                                Anyone knows what's the season white derby come from? Anywhere to get it...
                                Already told it : Fe-Male 2010. Will be in stores this year.

Originally posted by JetLag View Post
                                Actually, crushable fabric using aluminium is not such a new concept.
                                As far as I know, this is the first time this process is applied to shoes... to make them unwearable.
                                The model could walk with them with no problem. They're not unwearable, they're possibly difficult to walk with. Makes a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎