Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peasant
    • Jul 2009

"The most striking aspect of this jacket are the veins that run WITHIN the leather itself. To accomplish this, Carol ran dye through the veins of the leather before separating the leather from the connective tissue underneath"

Why is this such a crazy technique to use? It'd be so easy.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Wax View Post
      You guys are talking so much bs haha (injecting veins with resin on a leather jacket - still laughing)

You can get this kind of leather at any tannery, usually it is seen as a flaw and not sold tho. Julius used it on a fencing as well.
      Originally posted by Peasant View Post
      http://rsa-sb.blogspot.com/2010/04/c...eined.html?m=1

"The most striking aspect of this jacket are the veins that run WITHIN the leather itself. To accomplish this, Carol ran dye through the veins of the leather before separating the leather from the connective tissue underneath"

Why is this such a crazy technique to use? It'd be so easy.
      Wax got a translation? My German is weak.

Peasant

Because it's different. Also it sounds really time consuming.

Was the leather taken as a hide and then vein-dyed? I don't see any veins in the cross-sections of my finished leather.

Comment

• Atom
        • Sep 2009

Vein dyeing is not a folklore. The concept is like a pig bag, making the original material visible.

It's very much similar to a 2010 CCP horse. You can wear the boots, but you must know what they're made of.

BTW, Carol is not dependable the sales that much, there is another income as well. So there's no rush for a new collection.
        Last edited by Atom; 11-28-2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Atom View Post
          Vein dyeing is not a folklore. The concept is like a pig bag, making the original material visible.

It's very much similar to a 2010 CCP horse. You can wear the boots, but you must know what they're made of.

BTW, Carol is not dependable the sales that much, there is another income as well. So there's no rush for a new collection.
          I'm ignorant. What's the other income?

Comment

• Atom
            • Sep 2009

He's not from the poorest family, I've heard.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeN View Post
              So Chinorlz can you speak of this "injecting ink into the veins" idea? I agree with the above posters that it sounds like folklore.
              Sorry for the delay in response. Thanksgiving weekend was a bit crazy with family.

That method was a direct quote I got from the seller in Japan. Over the years in thinking about it more, one of the possibilities that would allow for that dark color to remain as an imprint of the blood vessels beneath the skin is that the animal maybe was not bled (or not bled fully) after slaughter... or maybe not even. The dark colors may result from the blood/hemoglobin in the blood vessels "staining" the hide at some point during pre-skinning. Thus the blood and hemoglobin (imagine trying to get a blood stain out of clothes) have "stained" or "dyed" the underside of the hide.

As long as the leather itself is tanned and dyed in a lighter shade than the stain, it would remain visible. Of course the higher density/concentration of blood (such as the main branches of the vessels), the deeper and stronger the "stain" which may in part explain why as the vessels branch towards capillaries it fades quite quickly.

What I wouldn't give to get a look at Carol's original sketchbook. Must be full of awesome and crazy details!
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                • Mar 2009

I recall watching a shop tours video, on style.com with Tim Blanks when he visited The Library. This was about 2006'ish.

There is a segment when Peter (owner) pulls a CCP leather blouson/bomber from the rail, and continues to explain that Carol had actually injected dye inbetween the layers of hide. Thus creating a very beautiful, almost marbled looking affect.

Granted, there was no mention of injecting the veins, but the jacket i speak of could be a development (in regards to treatment) of the jacket above.

Will have a look around and see if i can find the video anywhere.

EDIT: found a link for a podcast via itunes
                Last edited by SHYE_POSER; 11-30-2014, 10:27 AM.
                merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• drizzly
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2012

He's not from the poorest family, I've heard.
                  is this true or are we hypothesizing?

Comment

• Atom
                    • Sep 2009

Well, I haven't heard it from him.
                    But from a fashion business insider working in Italy, I consider the source very reliable.

Comment

• drizzly
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2012

Well, I haven't heard it from him.
                      But from a fashion business insider working in Italy, I consider the source very reliable.
                      good to know, i guess taking $ out of the equation leaves a person who does things because he truly wants to

Comment

• kurta
                        • Jun 2014

A nice development for CCP-loving Los Angelinos, and an update for your stockist list: While Maxfield no longer stocks Carol Christian Poell, the word is that next year you will find CCP at H. Lorenzo. (And to Atom and drizzly's convo, it's true -- Carol's background ensures he's not doing this for the money.)

Comment

• Peasant
                          • Jul 2009

Was waiting for this to happen. It's not like Maxfields has stocked much, at least not when I'm there. Now.. Is this pending a new collection or will past pieces be ordered?

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
                            Was waiting for this to happen. It's not like Maxfields has stocked much, at least not when I'm there. Now.. Is this pending a new collection or will past pieces be ordered?

it's not going to be a new collection

why would there be a need for a new collection?

I don't understand what people are holding up for.
                            Originally posted by unwashed
                            Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                            Originally posted by Ahimsa
                            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                              CCP x Adidas – oh god, can you imagine?
                              "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                              -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                                it's not going to be a new collection

why would there be a need for a new collection?

Jews have been waiting for the Messiah to come back for longer than that. Keep the faith!
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎