Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry
    • Jul 2009

Suppose I'm just trying to figure it out. All this seasons stuff and everything. What is it that makes it keep turning.
    For example is all this just a less pronounced version of saudi arabian women in hijabs buying haute couture?

Comment

• crz
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Larry View Post
      I appreciate fashion in that for one moment on the cat walk it can create a different world. But in reality this place does not exist. Sure its aspirational, to have the life of that moment, we dress up to be part of it and take pictures and share them with others on the internet and it forms a community, which has to be commended in the current day and age. Also its nice to be interested in something rather than just living life day to day. But I do feel there is a certain amount of exploitation in selling this dream to people.
      fashion pessimism

your argument could be said the same for any other art or design, but holds no importance/validity to me. sorry but you're talking out of your ass

Comment

• Larry
        • Jul 2009

Been thinking some more, I feel that what messes up fashion is when you actually bring money into it. As an artform it can be interesting, like costume design, but when the business model gets applied its f***ed.

Comment

• justine
          • Jan 2007

Been thinking some more
          10 minutes more is not enough.

Comment

• Larry
            • Jul 2009

come on justine, cheap one liners?

I'm still trying to understand why I would spend xxx on clothes when there are people dying of hunger. These things bother me and I need to square them with myself to feel comfortable.

Will in 200 hundred years they dig back to our time and look at us in destain in the same way we look back at the past.

Comment

• crz
              • Apr 2008

come on justine, cheap one liners?

I'm still trying to understand why I would spend xxx on clothes when there are people dying of hunger. These things bother me and I need to square them with myself to feel comfortable.

Will in 200 hundred years they dig back to our time and look at us in destine in the same way we look back at the past.

i see where you are coming from.. but no one particularly asked you to buy the clothes did they? if you want to keep the art pure leave it on the racks/runways

"Art is a human activity consisting in this, that one man consciously, by means of certain external signs, hands on to others feelings he has lived through, and that other people are infected by these feelings and also experience them." - Tolstoy

people want to experience these clothes, which is why they buy.. The truth is complex - Art is both useless in a functional sense and the most important human activity.

Comment

• Larry
                • Jul 2009

So in its pure form, the designer creates this world or vision in his/her mind, which manifest in a catwalk show. Wearing his/her clothes then gives you an experience of this place. Think thats a good justification for clothes as an artform. Now just to square that off with yoox.com ;)

Can kind of understand where Margiela was coming from now, when he had total control of everything up to the point of you walking away with the garment he could continue the vision all the way up to the point of you leaving the shop. But with these internet site and 50% sales and everything it kind of destroys it.

Comment

• crz
                  • Apr 2008

i think you're missing the point.. it's not about the catwalk show. it's about the design/clothes itself.

if you have a problem with fashion/aesthetics i think you're in the wrong place.
                  the end. good night

Comment

• Larry
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by crz View Post
                    i think you're missing the point.. it's not about the catwalk show. it's about the design/clothes itself.
                    Which is why margiela covered the faces of the models. The man was a genius to be honest.

I don't think rick owens is on that level.

Comment

• Bring The Noise
                      • Feb 2008

Been thinking some more, I feel that what messes up fashion is when you actually bring money into it. As an artform it can be interesting, like costume design, but when the business model gets applied its f***ed.
                      this makes no sense whatsoever

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Why is this in this thread? Some kind of whiny argument about spending money on fashion and design really doesn't have any place here. Maybe start a thread somewhere called "why should I spend money on clothes? You're all nerds." But, this is a thread about Rick Owens.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I don't even know why people give this child the time of day.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• pipcleo
                            • Jan 2007

Last edited by pipcleo; 09-01-2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

how hilarious would it be if Larry was Rick himself
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• maldoror
                                • Jun 2007

whoa whoa WHOA.

wait just one minute. I came here to talk about the edge but now everything's degenerated into this ethico-economic clusterfuck?

paging alesha...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎