X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theconsumer
    • Feb 2009

we need RO deconstruction thread ...

that said: some RO stuff is excellent in materials and construction (samurai coat and drkshdw black poplin IME). other stuff is well made, but not that well designed on practical level (zipper catches the nylon in nylon jackets, which could be avoided with strip of harder fabric near the zipper).

anyway, given the price, everything should be sturdy as hell. i wonder if all this falling apart is recent development or just indication that there are more people wearing RO stuff

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

^correlation? certainly not causitive. i dunno about the quality argument, i have lanvin shirts that look like ass after 3 wearings and h&m shirts that are still standing at 10 years.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theconsumer View Post
        we need RO deconstruction thread ...

that said: some RO stuff is excellent in materials and construction (samurai coat and drkshdw black poplin IME). other stuff is well made, but not that well designed on practical level (zipper catches the nylon in nylon jackets, which could be avoided with strip of harder fabric near the zipper).

anyway, given the price, everything should be sturdy as hell. i wonder if all this falling apart is recent development or just indication that there are more people wearing RO stuff
        Apparently it's DIY deconstruction. Next level. Anyway, all of my RO stuff has held up really well.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

i just cut the neck off a t-neck sweater from dustulator and it lived to tell. the only rips/tears i've experienced are in single layers and tanks where it is expected.

Comment

• Prototypes
            • Oct 2008

no issue with most of the denim from drksdhw cept that the thigh darts do fall apart.

and the sling to hold the jacket aren't that strong esp when im not even talking about leather/ denim, mine's the lightweight poplin.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
              ^correlation? certainly not causitive. i dunno about the quality argument, i have lanvin shirts that look like ass after 3 wearings and h&m shirts that are still standing at 10 years.
              on the counter of 3 now:
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• theconsumer
                • Feb 2009

haiku

my dick falls apart
                soul is crepe, all is just crepe
                holes in my lanvin

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                  ^ i have lanvin shirts that look like ass after 3 wearings and h&m shirts that are still standing at 10 years.
                  If you buy one of the collabo efforts, it may last 5 years
                  merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• SVRulez
                    • Feb 2009

Rick doing logos now. WTF.

http://www.thecorner.com/DRKSHDW_by_...ection_id/7714

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

^ Always has for drkshdw, this of course being one of the less successful ones.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SVRulez View Post
                        Christ, that's disgusting.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DamageX
                          • Dec 2008

Rick Owens mainline had something similar for Strutter as well.

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

i'm bringing some thoughts over that came up for me in a discussion over in the womens SS11 collection thread. i think its more appropriate to post over here...

i can't recall who first brought forth the idea of 3 main categories of rick owens designs but they were something like this:

1. sportswear/streetwear rick
                            2. spaceman glamorama rick
                            3. grungy rockstar rick

i'm probably getting the descriptors wrong here but i think you get the idea. i found this to be remarkably accurate. and what i'm saying is that personally i want to see more grungy rockstar and hopefully a new 4th category. i'm basing this partly on my experience that the quality has gone down in some of the sportsy stuff and i'm not feeling the "luxury" like i think i should. and partly on the idea that i'm bored with it. and finally on the idea that i would like to see the following often quoted rickism more directly expressed in the menswear:

"I try to make clothes the way Lou Reed does music, with minimal chord changes, and direct. It is sweet but kind of creepy. It's about giving everything I make a worn, softened feeling. It's about an elegance being tinged with a bit of the barbaric, the sloppiness of something dragging and the luxury of not caring"

i think he is succeeding at most of the elements of that statement. but not so much with the sports/street rick. i think i'd just like to see more. i guess its just a personal opinion that that aspect of his creative expression has been played out and the grungy rockstar sins of the flesh barbarian has been neglected

to keep it simple - lou reed would not wear track pants and high tops.

i can already hear the replies that what i'm complaining about is a core element of rick's vision and that it is never going to change and sacrilege to suggest that it should.

i'd just say i'm not complaining. just commenting. and i'm not a hater of the trainers and track pants and all that. its still comfortable and stylish and i really would wear it once in a while if the mrs breed didn't disapprove. its just i'd like to see some changes
                            Last edited by cjbreed; 10-11-2010, 12:25 PM.
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by SVRulez View Post
                              DRKSHDW² anyone?
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• eat me
                                • May 2009

cjbreed, sounds like change for the sake of change? When something's so good and comfy you forget how nice it actually is - it's a scary thing in fashion, just look what's happening now - everyone was so tired and bored with nice slim/skinny trousers and some more wide-sporty but straight varities, that we're now having to put up with 90s style can't-find-you-inside-that-awful-pile-of-oversized-sweaterjackets-you're-wearing suits and 70s style those-flares-are-wider-than-your-mustache pants. There is a reason why these things always looked ridiculous.

I think it's kind of like a well-tailored suit. If Rick found a silhouette that fits his aesthetic wonderfully and actually looks good on a person - no need for rapid change. It's going to evolve anyways, just slowly and considerate.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎