X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Law
    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Pretty sure this has been posted within the last few pages.
    I got it off yesterdays daily digest off B.O.F. Having said that, everyone of these "articles" are practically the same thing in one way or another.

Comment

• falkenauge
      • Nov 2015

Pants material

Newbie question: are the most of the ro pants that people wear sweatpants style/material? Unfortunately I have no chance of seeing them in person and it's hard to tell from pictures. I know he makes cargo and other pants too. But the classic ro pants are basically sweatpants, right?

Many thanks!

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

Where to start... First off, this is small questions thread material.
        Second, what are classic RO pants?
        Third, they come in a huge variety of materials. A quick look at rickowens.eu will give you a really good idea. Very very few mainline pants are sweatpants material. That is reserved mostly for drkshdw.
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Nickefuge
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by falkenauge View Post
          Newbie question: are the most of the ro pants that people wear sweatpants style/material? Unfortunately I have no chance of seeing them in person and it's hard to tell from pictures. I know he makes cargo and other pants too. But the classic ro pants are basically sweatpants, right?

Many thanks!
          The style of the RO pants you refer to is drop-crotch, yes.
          There is a variety of available materials, though, depending on whether the item is from DRKSHDW or the main line.
          Examples for DRKSHDW materials would be (waxed/unwaxed) cotton, denim, nylon mixes etc as for mainline it would be wool, silk, cashmere, leather* and so on. And of course plenty of mixtures thereof.

*leather as in leather pants. Some DRKSHDW jackets and caps do have leather sleeves.
          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• falkenauge
            • Nov 2015

Thank you both for the information.

Are these pants also available without drop crotch? I only see Drkshdw sweatpants that have a "normal" crotch.

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Seriously man, spend 10 minutes on the internet to do your research. This kind of inane questioning is a waste of everyone's time. I told you to look at rickowens.eu - if that doesn't give you an idea, try farfetch, ssense, luisaviaroma, antonioli, it's all out there.
              "Are these pants available without drop crotch..." - seriously wtf? Considering your name, I would expect you to be better at spotting stuff.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• falkenauge
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                Seriously man, spend 10 minutes on the internet to do your research. This kind of inane questioning is a waste of everyone's time. I told you to look at rickowens.eu - if that doesn't give you an idea, try farfetch, ssense, luisaviaroma, antonioli, it's all out there.
                "Are these pants available without drop crotch..." - seriously wtf? Considering your name, I would expect you to be better at spotting stuff.
                No need to get rude. I've actually spent the last few days checking out all these pages, as well as other forums and google. Otherwise I wouldn't ask the question. If my two small questions annoy you so much, you could just ignore them instead of "wasting" your time attacking me. Thanks

Comment

• 13we2
                  • Sep 2015

I would say yes, the general impression is sportswear to me. RO never produced any (popular) derbies, right? You lose the point of wearing RO if you are trying to put together a formal wear look out of RO. Don't buy nylon/cargo drop crotch pants, you can't walk in them.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                    • May 2008

No need to get rude. I've actually spent the last few days checking out all these pages, as well as other forums and google. Otherwise I wouldn't ask the question. If my two small questions annoy you so much, you could just ignore them instead of "wasting" your time attacking me. Thanks
                    You have no idea how much I ignore. This one I just couldn't. And yes - need to get rude. It's not an attack, I just don't even understand your question. OK, I have been following RO for 8 years now and frankly know way too much, but your question doesn't suggest you checked out anything... and this forum, and this thread in particular, isn't meant for questions about whether Rick also makes pants that aren't drop crotch. Of course he does.

I spent a long time lurking and learning before I made my first post here. And it was about a Gareth collection and the importance of wearability in clothes.
                    You need to understand that this place is special for a reason. And as I said before, we have a small questions thread which is designed for these kind of questions.

Comment

• falkenauge
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                      You have no idea how much I ignore. This one I just couldn't. And yes - need to get rude. It's not an attack, I just don't even understand your question. OK, I have been following RO for 8 years now and frankly know way too much, but your question doesn't suggest you checked out anything... and this forum, and this thread in particular, isn't meant for questions about whether Rick also makes pants that aren't drop crotch. Of course he does.

I spent a long time lurking and learning before I made my first post here. And it was about a Gareth collection and the importance of wearability in clothes.
                      You need to understand that this place is special for a reason. And as I said before, we have a small questions thread which is designed for these kind of questions.
                      Alright, didn't know I should post my question in the other thread. My bad.

Comment

• Defender
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by 13we2 View Post
                        You lose the point of wearing RO if you are trying to put together a formal wear look out of RO. Don't buy nylon/cargo drop crotch pants, you can't walk in them.
                        Neither of these statements could be further from the truth. What is going on with this forum lately?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Many thanks!
                          mrbeuys is right and no need to get defensive. The last, highlighted sentence could not be more emblematic of what Rick has become for the masses.

Which leads me to go back to the other thought I wanted to express - it's strange to see how many Rick Owens "tourists" there are out there. I know it's not news, but I was reminded of it when I attended a few design-related events last week. You'd see a stray RO piece, usually the most basic leather on someone paired with complete garbage. I know, who are we to judge, blah blah - I don't give a fuck. This RO tourism is dispiriting.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• newp
                            • Feb 2013

I would say yes, the general impression is sportswear to me. RO never produced any (popular) derbies, right? You lose the point of wearing RO if you are trying to put together a formal wear look out of RO. Don't buy nylon/cargo drop crotch pants, you can't walk in them.
                            Rick formal looks are one of the best imo. The remarkable note about Rick Owens is his clothes variety is large to an extent you can build several outfits with completely different and strong vibe yet all of them are immediately recognized as RO, be it baggy sweatpants/skirted pants or pods with leggings/long socks, geos, tee and gimp hoodie for streetwear, be it combats, detroits, some kind of bomber for 'punk' aesthetic or, as mentioned, blazer/belted blazer, astaires and let's say chukkas for, I repeat, one of the best avant-garde take on formal wear.

Comment

• jakubtoronto
                              • Jul 2015

This point is very much what many long time RO fans have an issue with, including myself. RO has grown immensely as a brand and reached a wider audience, as a result there are many people the misinterpret what the brands true aesthetic and culture is. It's unfortunate that initial impressions of RO are related to sportswear or streetwear because the brand goes so far beyond any labels like that.

You cant really define a lot of Rick's looks as "formal" or "casual" because Ricks direction doesn't fall into the typical fashion categories. What is "formal" to Rick is not usually seen that way by people who have the typical perceptions of formal wear. You mentioned derbies for example and that is what is seen as formal shoes, in Ricks eyes a pair of Creeper boots is seen as formal...so is a long graphic tunic or short trousers with a panel. And RO clients see it the same way.

"You lose the point of wearing RO if you are trying to put together a formal wear look out of RO".

This point you made is very far from what RO is. I can tell you that you lose the point of wearing RO if you start to define along those lines.

Comment

• applecrisp
                                • Jun 2013

I'm sorry, but why place all of the blame on the end user? That they "don't get it"?

Isn't a big part of it Rick's own fault for turning what was once a relatively small scale company into a giant global corporation?

It's not that "the market has been saturated", like it's just happened by accident, it's that Rick (or Michele, or whatever shadow corp runs the company these days) has pushed it to happen. They want money. They're running a business. And succeeding enormously in financial terms. They did that by selling a ton of geobaskets and drkshdw. Sneakers and sweatpants.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎