X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Thanks for the advice all

DmD, (and Lowery and others who have responded here and in other threads)

Your thoughtfulness is much appreciated. I particularly appreciate the clarity with which you made your argument. I know that there are a number (ahem, a lot) of MA+ afficionados in these parts. My note was a bit rushed simply because the wonderful people at Downtown have been careful to alert me to each new discount and I managed to get them for 50% off.

So, as you might already suspect, read the great comments that were left for me. I was concerned that there would be bias, as Guidi boot styles for men are lesser in number than those for women.

I am however, a "risk" taker (insofar that the purchase of a pair of boots so many have vouched for is a risk.) I felt that purchasing another pair of Guidi would be a touch complacent (I don't feel purchasing a lot from the japanese designers or Ann D, or old Helmut and Margiela is indulgent -- they are pieces whose construction I will gawk over for the rest of my life, heh.) I am not particularly tall (5'4") and I am quite small in build. A major concern was that the MA+ boot, with its exaggerated toe box, who be wearing me, and not vice versa. I have a wonderful pair of MA+ leather pants and the leather quality is exquisite, so let's hope that MA+ femme will start to fall in the category of collect for historical reasons, alongside the giants.

Although I am aware that my question was not entirely about the designer work, but managed to embed a shopping question (whose answers have been instructive for others, too.)

I ought to point out that I reminded Downtown that I came through via Style Zeitgeist and was offered discounts on items (such as MA+ bags) that are on sale to the general public. So, I encourage everyone buying at Downtown to mention that you were referred by SZ. I appreciate that they care to treat us well.

Thanks for thoughts and advice. I'll post photos when they arrive on Monday.

Cheers,

MBD
    Originally posted by DmD View Post
    Wow MBD, this is a tough one. Those are both great boots and I think you'll different opinions on this forum, but here's mine: I would almost always take a pair of MA+ boots or shoes over Guidi, and in this case I much prefer the MA+ boots over the Guidi that you are comparing. I think the toe box will soften and have a more natural curve. I haven't seen any MA+ boots or shoes that point up aggressively once they are worn for a little while - if they fit properly.

I have owned Guidi, MA+, Augusta and others, and my favorite pair of shoes and boots that I currently own are both MA+. Just thought I'd state my bias up front. I'll get into why I feel this way below.

Build - I prefer the build quality of MA+ to Guidi (and Augusta). mostly because there's something more refined about them. They are all built to last, so I don't think that's an issue.

Leather - Obviously Guidi is known for it's great leather but I think MA+ may be underrated. Some of Maurizo's reversed leathers and the newer Bison leather is among the best I've ever felt. The reversed leather in the MA+ boots you are looking at is beautiful (I have felt them) and I find it more interesting and unique than the Guidi. I will add that I prefer a shoe to age naturally and don't usually go for what I feel are heavy handed leather effects. I think MA+ footwear makes does this well.

Style - I just find the MA+ more innovative and forward looking in terms of design. A great mix of minimal and forward with a nod to history.

Quality Control - I personally think this may be a topic that does not get enough consideration in footwear. I realize that we are dealing with hand made pieces, but I don't think it's too much to ask to have the left and right shoes fit like the same size, or to not have to jump up or down over a full size within the same line of footwear. Anyways, I have found MA+ to have incredible quality control and consistency of fit. In my opinion, the best out there.
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• DmD
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Doesn't MA+ use Guidi leather?
      I didn't know that. Well that would make sense, the leather is great.
      Last edited by DmD; 12-18-2010, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I am actually not entirely sure, but I thought he did.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eton97
          • Dec 2008

congrats on the purchase MBD - sorry i didn't add my view, but DmD managed to cover all the bases perfectly, and i agree with him on all of his points....
          I am a big fan of ma+ footwear and hope you will be mighty happy with your purchase.......i haven't seen many photos of you in the WAYWT, but of the few i have seen, i doubt that any pair of shoes 'will be wearing you, rather than you wearing them'.....you certainly look confident and sure enough of yourself and your style to wear them with confidence and elegance! Look forward to seeing the pics
          D
          you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

i see i'm a little late but MBD i thought i'd chime in and say that i agree with everything DmD just said. with one tiny exception. i am not sure which 3" heel guidi boot you're referencing but for me this is one of the best boots on a woman in the world. in almost any leather/color

otherwise, ma+ all the way.

still, that being said, i have 2 pair of guidis and they get the most wear of anything in my closet. very comfy once broken in. kangaroo back zips are like wearing thick socks. love 'em.
            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• magic
              • Feb 2009

SS11

Focusing on object details

Comment

• magic
                • Feb 2009

SS11

miniture accordion
                Focusing on object details

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by magic View Post
                  Based on the length of the other tops, none of them particularly long, it appears the hooded aviator really is a "belly sweater."
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

oh wow this is so much better than most of the other pics i've seen. i feel better about SS11 now. i love the pale colors. and although they may be retreads with minor tweaking some of these pieces look great to me. the leather hooded cardigan with no fastening is great (once i add a fastener). i like the hoodless aviator. the leather jacket. the striped blazer. and for sure that reverse leather boot looks perfect. it may even be that same petrol color but in reverse leather its so much better.

nice magic thanks for the pics!

Comment

• swami
                      • Jul 2008

I like the pin-stripe Blazer , Is this version in Notu Jofu as well?

The leather hooded piece is indeed awesome!

Comment

• Enaml
                        • Apr 2009

Great pics - thanks for posting. Really like the hoodless jackets. Did any stores order that piece?
                        How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

the pictures are from ShelterII, so at least they got it.
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Epoc
                            • Dec 2008

The resemblance of the MA+ lace up boots to Carpe Diem is uncanny.. Still looks great though..

Comment

• cjbreed
                              • Feb 2009

looks like a hybrid of the bubble toe and the more low profile lifted toe. you can see its cdiem ancestors but its shape is unmistakably ma+ at this point.

Comment

• StrAngeRy
                                • Dec 2010

Shop owners should get better pictures of their products.

details are beautiful.
                                Last edited by StrAngeRy; 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎