• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

^^what he said
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

much of the same old, some strong pieces, some new such as a long, hooded black cloak/coat with an attached scarf, a more dramatic piece than what he usually does I think. it was extremely comfortable, made of a heavy but soft fabric. also a really nice basic blazer like this one but made of slightly lighter jersey-like fabric. this piece was remade but with a better cut, last season the 48 was roomy in the body for me but I couldn't get my arms into the sleeves, this time it had nicer proportions for me at least. a hoody cut similarly to this was made of heavy knit and also something similar in the form of a hooded coat.

footwear reminiscent of previous seasons, derbies, boots and all that. same for belts, bags, wallets.

I honestly don't remember a lot more as he puts out a pretty massive collection each season with a lot of basic items, and once you've looked through it you forget where you began. plus I was both sick and running around in a hurry. but overall, I'd say its a strong-ish collection, I liked it more than last season which was a bit all over the place for me
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• kuugaia
          • Feb 2010

Thanks for the review lowrey.

I'm interested to see what type of leather he's opting to use for this FW considering the previous one saw a lot of bison. Blue bison at that. A MA+ hooded cloak with an attached scarf definitely sounds interesting to say the least..

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
            ...but overall, I'd say its a strong-ish collection, I liked it more than last season which was a bit all over the place for me
            last season meaning last showroom? SS11? or last season FW10?

i've had my worries about SS11 but we'll see. glad to hear that you give it at least a lukewarm approval. that means i'll probably love it haha. there have been a couple fit issues as of late with armholes and sleeve areas being too tight meaning one has to size up and risk a looser body. i hope thats been resolved somewhat.

did u gain any perspective on the pricing issue we've been hearing about?
            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

SS11. but as the collections are fairly big, so some stores were able to make pretty decent buys out of it

sorry no idea about pricing
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Peasant
                • Jul 2009

FW11

More of the same, but some solid pieces. SS11 was a total let down.

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

from this blog
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• copacetic
                    • Nov 2010

Nice to see that his sleeves, unlike ours, are properly cut.

I was thinking about his unique style of cutting jackets and coats the other day...the long arms and short body. I don't think I've heard a good explanation yet as to why. The long arms especially get in the way of operating normally (i.e. eating without getting that shit all over your arms) and make you look foolish, like you're a teenager in your dad's clothes.

I think it's especially relevant because season to season it seems to get more pronounced.

I have some cockamamie ideas, but I need someone else to pick up this topic with me before diving into a visual analysis.
                    And "When the prince has gathered about him
                    "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• thejjbb
                      • Apr 2008

I always thought the short cut of the body on the shirts/jackets was there in order to reveal the unique details of the belts and pants that he makes. It's hard to have interesting details for pants that aren't in the top block, and most of his unique pants designs occur in that area.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

sorry, still creates a pretty silly silhouette.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• copacetic
                          • Nov 2010

You could make the jackets three or four or even five inches shorter and still be able to see all of the pant and belt detailing.

Let me throw out an idea that's been rattling around in my head for a while: I don't think anyone's brought up the historical Italian and specifically Catholic influence in his work. Small elements in his garments make me think of bygone eras in Italy. The throne collars, vertical coats that look like adaptations of the robes Cardinals wear, the anachronistic silhouette and lacing in the footwear, etc. The silhouette that specifically comes to mind is the tight upper body, long sleeves, and A-line bottom half in his coats. It's a little Tattooine, yes, but also sort of Catholic.

Hence the long sleeves? Like a Cardinal, or even a Franciscan monk, etc.? Last time I checked though, there isn't any midriff being flaunted at the Vatican, so I still can't explain the shortness of the aviators.
                          And "When the prince has gathered about him
                          "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Peasant
                            • Jul 2009

Good analogy. I always thought that the short torsos were based on his obvious anatomical tendencies. They're cut where you bend / twist. Does not explain the sleeves though. They just looks good, I suppose.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Copacetic makes M.A.+ the new Poell!
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• unwashed
                                • Dec 2008

Maybe Italian people in general are short and therefore the clothes fit italians best he makes clothes for his own bodytype maybe.
                                Grailed link

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎