Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maldoror
    • Jun 2007

it's really weird how amadei seems to have the model wear a different size in the aviator every season, like he just can't make up his mind about how it should fit. what started out styled in mega tightness for s/s 07 steadily progressed to some ludicrously big and boxy shit for f/w 08. he seems to have scaled back slightly for s/s 09, but, in general, the fit looks surprisingly wacktarded. on the plus side it looks like he's bringing back the heavy cotton again, but I wonder how many zeros he's added to the price this time . . .

re: the sandals. I don't wear sandals, but if I did, and were, like, 10-15 years older and living in the country side, I'd prob cop. especially if my hair + beard were (much) longer, but s'alright if not too. somewhere inside an imagined jesus-merlin-bilbo triumvirate are these megabucks birkenstocks which I find pretty okay.

Comment

• nycd
      • Oct 2006

i knew there was some reason that these appealed to me - you summed it up perfectly
      Originally posted by maldoror View Post
      re: the sandals. I don't wear sandals, but if I did, and were, like, 10-15 years older and living in the country side, I'd prob cop. especially if my hair + beard were (much) longer, but s'alright if not too. somewhere inside an imagined jesus-merlin-bilbo triumvirate are these megabucks birkenstocks which I find pretty okay.

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

didn't you just describe amadei?
        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• maldoror
          • Jun 2007

amadei doesn't have a beard. but he should.

also, I thought he's more like 20-25 years older?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

it's really weird how amadei seems to have the model wear a different size in the aviator every season, like he just can't make up his mind about how it should fit. what started out styled in mega tightness for s/s 07 steadily progressed to some ludicrously big and boxy shit for f/w 08. he seems to have scaled back slightly for s/s 09, but, in general, the fit looks surprisingly wacktarded. on the plus side it looks like he's bringing back the heavy cotton again, but I wonder how many zeros he's added to the price this time . . .

good observation. i think - and so does m.a. seemingly - that his clothes lend themselves equally well to a relaxed and shrinkwrap fit. with the aviator and leather shirt i wish i could have two sizes in each. call me a crackhead.
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• maldoror
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
              good observation. i think - and so does m.a. seemingly - that his clothes lend themselves equally well to a relaxed and shrinkwrap fit. with the aviator and leather shirt i wish i could have two sizes in each. call me diego.
              fixed!

(and I definitely know what you mean. I'd love a second aviator in a size up as well)

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

lulz. but seriously that's the next level. to be able to alternate your favorite outerwear with just a t-shirt or several layers underneath.
                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Raw Edge
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Chim View Post
                  why is the aviator hoodie called an aviator? honestly that is the one piece from ma that i can't see anything that justifies the cost.
                  It's funny, I'm sure i'm alone on this- but other than a jacket that philip nod posted, and some of the boots, I haven't really seen anything from MA+ OTHER than the aviator that I both really liked and seemed justifiably priced. not most of the outerwear, not leather pants or 600 dollar wallets, etc.

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
                    It's funny, I'm sure i'm alone on this- but other than a jacket that philip nod posted, and some of the boots, I haven't really seen anything from MA+ OTHER than the aviator that I both really liked and seemed justifiably priced. not most of the outerwear, not leather pants or 600 dollar wallets, etc.
                    See it in person is the answer, I think.

For instance, the grey wide trousers on the Atelier website certainly never caught my eye before I saw them in person. I lust after them after trying them on. The M.A.+ bags (some of them anyway, I dislike the accordion bag), are just beautifully made, and, while they're expensive, they're cheaper than many designer bags (which is batshit crazy in my opinion). I dunno that I'd say a line like this is justifiably priced, but a lot of what I've seen is pretty cool when you actually fondle it/wear it. (More fondling than wearing in my case since I looked at most of the M.A.+ stuff I've seen in Japan, the land of $7000 kids clothing)

That said, some of the items are just silly. I tried on, and look quite good in a M.A.+ cotton t-shirt. It is made of nice, thick cotton, with some cool seams. But, it's a t-shirt made of unexceptional fabric for $700. That's ridiculous.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Diego
                      • Aug 2007

fixed!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                        See it in person is the answer, I think.

For instance, the grey wide trousers on the Atelier website certainly never caught my eye before I saw them in person. I lust after them after trying them on. The M.A.+ bags (some of them anyway, I dislike the accordion bag), are just beautifully made, and, while they're expensive, they're cheaper than many designer bags (which is batshit crazy in my opinion). I dunno that I'd say a line like this is justifiably priced, but a lot of what I've seen is pretty cool when you actually fondle it/wear it. (More fondling than wearing in my case since I looked at most of the M.A.+ stuff I've seen in Japan, the land of $7000 kids clothing)

That said, some of the items are just silly. I tried on, and look quite good in a M.A.+ cotton t-shirt. It is made of nice, thick cotton, with some cool seams. But, it's a t-shirt made of unexceptional fabric for $700. That's ridiculous.
                        bingo bango. I do think that MA+ outside of the US was semi-reasonably priced (relatively speaking) last season... that deep V hoodie was sub-$1k even in Japan. That being said, the constant upwards trend in cost of even the long sleeve shirts was beyond crazy.
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
                          Originally posted by merz
                          this. this says it all, really.
                          well price justification is always a personal thing, but as far as things I've liked, theres been numerous things in past seasons which I've loved and would've definately purchased if I could've afforded. the grey coat from last f/w (I think) was one of my favourites, the belts and wallets are great, the aviator and deep neck hoody, several of jackets, 5-pocket trousers, leather shirts (light grey and black ones), shoes from earlier season have been excellent.. theres a ton of stuff I'd love to own for sure :P
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

If I had the means, I would own the grey pants I saw at Atelier, as many pairs of their plain boots as I could afford in both dark green and black, and the deep v hoody with the white interior. Most of what they make isn't for me, but it's truly beautiful.
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

the 5 pocket trousers are really at the top of the trouser game. they were an insane 1600 bucks but they are MA+ at his absolute best. its a shame that the price points don't drop so that more can appreciate how good he can be. diego and I also have a s/s 07 blue blazer which is a keeper. and the grey leather shirt is a conversation topper every time i wear, much like the fencing jacket, which continually generates sexy comments. i didn't buy any f/w MA other than the foul double red wallet, which surprised me, but i hope to find at least something next season. i'm also quite jealous of aka's crack smoking leather shirt.
                              i think MA sort of grabs a very personal side of you, whereas rick appeals to the masses and ccp to the dark matter isolated masses, and to really appreciate him you have to let him in a little by little and once he's in not try and beat the shit out of him or throw him in the trash:
                              "my mind might look like a garbage can, but at least i know who i am"

and yeah, if i had 6 grand to throw around i'd pick up a leather long coat from his first season like the one i saw croaty model at barneys in tokyo
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• snafu
                                • Apr 2008

for me, ma+ is the designer that appeals to me the most iv owned little bits of poell nothing major and the only boots i had didnt work out. but agreeing with the above's; his pattern cutting skills are so complex yet simple his styling maybe is not suited to me but the pieces are individually beautiful i own a little bit now and really is the only designer i kinda get upset when a piece in my size pops up on here and i don't get it, the canvass accordian bag i was gutted.
                                his stuff to me is beautiful down to the little detail: the buttons on my leather shirt little oval piece of silver which are aged to perfection, he makes leather not look like leather but only in a good way, the little hand written ribbon label he uses, the accordian pouches the clothes come in (which i use as art material cases for uni), his pastel washed colours he uses work and blend with most shades because they are not a striking bold. for instance the black pieces i have have hints of blue but its hard to pin point the true colour of the piece. his work has so much thought right down to every detail.
                                he has the ability to make a garment look like you made it perfectly yourself but he does it with such an art and perfection you only see when you can toch feel and inspect the garment up close and personal
                                i wear and use ma every day and he is the designer i really can see pass the price points with. fuck if thats what he has to charge to make sure he can have control over every aspect of the pieces he produce then il pay it.

p nod would love to see your piece's you own the fencing jacket your refering to is the ccp one not an MA FENCING !!! would be amazing HG status for me instantly

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎