X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

These are pretty gnarly. Thanks for the photos. These are from ink, I suppose?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mmm2108
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      These are pretty gnarly. Thanks for the photos. These are from ink, I suppose?
      yea, they are from Ink, I thought I'd post these high quality pictures just for those who wants to take clearer look.

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

do people really still want to spend over £1000 on boots that look as artificially worn out as those? it just feels so (ghey fashion phrase alert) done. i feel a bit fed up with the (hybrid corporate speak/fashion phrase alert) artisanal process tail wagging the product appearance dog. y'know? (probably not).

Comment

• move_ment
          • Feb 2009

^with you 110% all the way home on that one... and same goes for those dirty looking versions with the rips/holes. It just reminds me of those people who wear joy division tee without actually knowing the band, or some attempt to rebel against post-production and airbrush techniques in magazines with the exact same bullshit conclusion.

more this:

less this:

Comment

• BSR
            • Aug 2008

i think the biggest problem is not the artisanal > appearance but the cheap destroy effect

remove that plasticky overskin, and you get the usual nice augusta pair of combat boots... the question is how on earth can he think this ugly gimmick will enhance anything
            pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
            Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• marco-von
              • Feb 2009

the same way balmain put gimmicky holes in their t-shirts and sell them for silly amounts.

profits need to be made and when there is idiots with money theres recessions.

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

of course i agree with you wire
                but these augustas are by no way the mickey rourke of the shoes
                to keep on the mean side, i would suggest these holes are only a proof of design laziness (and would not add much fuel to the balmain fire, since the holes do not triple the price of the boots... you even almost get them for free )
                pix

Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

I'm all for the moderately distressed/worn/scarred look, but I agree on these, they are overdone imo. as special and unique as the coating process is, the end product is on the verge of being gimmicky.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• eton97
                    • Dec 2008

i'm a big augusta fan. Have looked at this seasons augusta purchases and find it quite inspiring.....just can't do red
                    Last edited by eton97; 11-18-2010, 05:26 PM.
                    you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

I originally thought they were a bit gimmicky too, but didn't bother to post..............does the "stripping" effect go away after a few wears or does it remain?
                      i think it would be fine if it goes away.

Also, I think there is something that you guys need to understand, not that you may not already know. We designers face a dilemma in our work of finding the right balance between continually doing something that is perfected already, and adding new ideas and techniques to keep our work fresh and interesting.

if you keep doing the same things it becomes stagnant and boring and there is no incentive to support it on the part of the clients.............well possibly not enough to maintain a business
                      on the other hand, in moving forward sometimes we develop an idea that fells so great, only for it to be seen in hindsight as a whatwusIthinkeng! kind of idea................
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• nictan
                        • Jul 2009

i really like the red coated ones eternal posted thats on sale at pollyanna. something i like about the reddish shade throughout. but the holes and 'tears' are blehhh

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Sep 2006

Totally agree zam, funding the balance is key. But, to my mind, any kind of producer in the fashion industry has to move on (or develop) to some extent, or else his or her customers will eventually look elsewhere. I think it's just in the nature of people and their relationship with clothing. Ultimately, we get bored, to a greater or lesser extent, with what's some before.

My concern with the augusta shoes is not so much with the plastic coating - is this technique any more gimmicky than (as opposed to derivative of) Castelmaine xxx's rubber dipping or yellow plastic sole coating? Probably not. It's more that there are so many other shoes out there that have looked like this, battered, wide legged for tucking, messy laces, upturned toes etc etc., Basically, what is the point of Augusta?
                          Last edited by Johnny; 10-22-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• BSR
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Johnny View Post

My concern with the augusta shoes is not so much with the plastic coating - is this technique any more gimmicky than (as opposed to derivative of) Castelmaine xxx's rubber dipping or yellow plastic sole coating? Probably not. It's more that there are so many other shoes out there that have looked like this, battered, wide legged for tucking, messy laces, upturned toes etc etc., Basically, what is the point of Augusta?
                            i don't agree with you on this, the plastic adds nothing to the concept of the boot. the idea, as i see it, is to take the destroy aspect which was already part of augusta's regular designs one step further. but the problem is that this extra step is as lowrey said 'overdesign'.

in my book, something is overdesigned when there is no conceptual need for it. Vin's rubber dipping is obviously something a lot of people here find conceptually interesting/disturbing/relevant/whatever.
                            pix

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                              do people really still want to spend over £1000 on boots that look as artificially worn out as those? it just feels so (ghey fashion phrase alert) done. i feel a bit fed up with the (hybrid corporate speak/fashion phrase alert) artisanal process tail wagging the product appearance dog. y'know? (probably not).
                              Agreed, and that's how I feel about most of Poell's footwear. There is a line between footwear that looks purposefully distressed and those that look like they came out of a garbage dumpster. I sitll kinda like those though - there is something texturally appealing in that layer of skin peeling off.

And along the line of Zam's comments - I've always said that a good designer knows when to stop.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Monty76
                                • Sep 2006

I'm actually a little bit intrigued by the concept of the Augusta Oiled Shoes. It's similar to that of Harnden Painted, Margiela's Glued Confetti or Carpe Linen over Leather shoes. They all have the purpose of expediting the aging process with the shoe evolving with the wearer.

The Augusta's take this concept and flip it around. As soon as the oiled layer wears off you actaully get a pair of brand new Augusta's underneath. If indeed the oiling effect was developed by Simone and not taken from xxx, etc. i think it is pretty sound.

I guess the criticism is that, in the end, there is nothing special about these and a normal pair of Augusta's, but the concept is intriguing none the less - plus I think they look great with and without the oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎